Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's reconcile all those good and bad reviews..., September 15, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 [Old Version] (Software)
Well, it's been a week now, and while I still have Office 2002 (virtually identical to 2003) and Office 2007 on my laptop, I've pretty much stopped using 2002. I give '07 a thumbs up.

I have used Office since 1994 for just simple letters and spreadsheets until the last year, where I started becoming a heavy user of some really odd features, like non-standard line spacing, different headers within the same document, embedded Excel sheets in a Word doc, embedding images in headers and footers, charting, tables, etc. I was worried if all these newly discovered features that I just learned would suddenly disappear in the changing ribbon that everyone was talking about.

Despite using weird features, or maybe because of it, I am a little more tolerant of looking up how to do things. But I didn't want to relearn everything, and I haven't had to. The default blank document has tabs for Home, Insert, Page Layout, References, etc, which really are not much different than the categories in the classic drop-down menus. Once clicking on these tabs, you are offered the same choices as before...charts, insert picture, bookmarks, wordart, etc., and a few new ones, like references, balloons and highlighting, footnotes, and more. It IS a different layout, but to this point, I don't think it ever took me more than 10 seconds to find something.

I'm surprised no one is talking about the ability to save documents in .pdf (what was once exclusive to Adobe). I know other software has allowed this for sometime, but the ability to make a document that will launch in Adobe Reader with all the functionality of Word or Excel is something I've been waiting for. In 2 years, we'll all wonder how we did without it. This is important to me because once in .pdf, the formatting is locked in, and won't change depending on how it's previewed or printed.

Another thing that is important is the new, modern looking charts and tables. This isn't just the 'pretty' factor, but more effective to understanding lots of data more easily. Office 2000/2002/2003 just looked old and unimpressive. It's true that Microsoft is just catching up to Apple, Adobe and others, but they've at least done it. Equally important is the ability to instantly see changes to formatting before you've committed it to the whole document. I've probably wasted a month's time over the course of the last year reformatting documents to do it a better way. If only I authored them in 2007, which was available a year ago, I would have saved so much time.

One reviewer said his Home/Student version "did not have all the features as the full version". I've tried to investigate this, and as far as I can tell, Home/Student's versions of Word/Excel/Powerpoint are no different than any other version.

I don't want to get too personal here, but all the reviewers who are angry that their saved homework or important business document was saved in .docx and therefore was not readable by anyone else really are just wanting to be victims. Office 2007 makes it abundantly clear that you will be saving in .docx, and if you don't want to, you don't have to. It tells you how and where to save it as a compatible .doc file (or .xls, etc.) and whether you want this as your default setting. I'm sorry, but if you're a student and you ignore all those messages, I think you're going to have more problems in school than using this version of Office.

The Grammar check seems to be improved, catching problems that my Office 2002 did not. Hot keys like Ctrl K for hyperlinks or Ctrl C to copy all still work. I'm not sure if they removed others as some reviewers have said, but so far it has not affected me. The concept of Add-Ins (plugins) is a little bit annoying, as to get certain features like the ability to save .pdf requires you go online and install the add-in. Then again, this gives Microsoft the ability to add features from time to time (hopefully they'll use it that way - I think a big reason for add-ins is to give Microsoft a way of periodically checking your software to ensure it's legal). I also like the always-on word count, something that Amazon probably wishes I would use in my reviews.

I'm at day 7 and counting, and I don't feel much reason to ever open my Office 2002 again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2009 8:32:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2009 8:34:54 PM PST
A. P. H. says:
today is feb 22 and the oscars are clapping on somewhere in the house. instead Mr. Robertson, perhaps the umpteenth reviewer of the Office 2007 product has produced the most effective review for me. here is why. one: i own and use 2002 office every day at home and 2003 at work. two: he debunks the .docx and .xlsx save problems in a gentle and humorous fashion. That has done it for me. From here on this oscar night I go to the purchase bar. you see, this will be for the new amazon ordered net book arriving, i predict (onitswaynow) by thursday. the netbook (already bought and took delivery two weeks ago of another one which went to a daughter dear,comes with ms works.) thanks mr. Robertson. you have accomplished what you set out to do.

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 1:30:24 AM PDT
An informative and wonderful review indeed!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›