Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but be sure this is what you want ..., March 22, 2010
This review is from: Case Logic VNA-216 16-Inch Laptop Attache (Black) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Please note, there are 4 sizes (10, 10.2, 14, and 16 inches) of the same case type; I am writing a review of the 16-inch case.

This is a well-made but relatively inexpensive bag for a laptop PC. It is so light that I can barely feel its weight, but it still has sufficient padding to protect its contents against bumps during everyday use.

This is NOT the kind of case with zippers that can be pulled further to the left and right sides when you open the bag. In other words, the opening for you to put in and take out things is very small. Does this matter? Yes, if you have a laptop PC that measures diagonally 15.6 to 16 inches. The fit is snug, and because of the narrow opening, putting in and taking out a computer is not that smooth and easy. Although the zippers are plastic, there is a chance of them scraping against the computer's edges. I would not recommend this case if you have concerns about this aspect. If your computer is a netbook, which is about 10 inches diagonal, then this case will be fine.

There is an USB thumb drive pocket in the main compartment, where the computer is stored, but I feel it is not a good location, because it is likely to chafe against the laptop computer. There are two side pockets. I use the larger one to store AC adapter, cord, mouse pad, and mouse.

I deem this bag more suitable for carrying smaller laptops. It is not suitable for 15.6 to 16-inch laptops because of the tight fit.

Update (2-4-2011):

Case Logic has another 16-inch case that zipper opens three sides instead of just one. It is called Case Logic VNCi-116 Value 16-Inch Laptop Briefcase. It will easily fit any 16-inch notebook computer. Even my 17.3-inch HP DV7 can be accommodated in the case. You can read my review on its web page on Amazon.com.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2010 6:38:55 AM PDT
GoldDove says:
I really wish I had read your review before I ordered this case. My 16" laptop barely fits inside, and the ridiculously small opening made it almost impossible to remove. I'm returning it, and I'll be sure to read the reviews before I order a replacement.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 7:26:13 PM PDT
There are 2 versions of the case - one for 14" and smaller and one for 16" and smaller. This one is for 14" and smaller, thus why it doesn't fit anything bigger. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 9:46:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 10:02:19 PM PDT
Joshua, this is the review page for the 16" model (VNA-216), not the 14" (VNA-214).

15.6 and 16 inch notebook computers will NOT fit EASILY into this Case Logic VNA-216 case.

UPDATE:

Okay, I see where the problem is. Amazon has combined the review pages for the 14-inch and 16-inch cases!

But for sure you wouldn't order a 14-inch case to fit in a 15.6 or 16-inch computer. If you do, the computer won't fit, period. And if you buy the 16-inch case, the fit will be snug and tight.

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 7:02:30 AM PST
Dan says:
I have a Toshiba Satellite 15.6" and this case fits it like a glove. I agree with you about the potential for scraping on the sides but you just have to be a little bit careful in how you put the laptop in and take it out. I also agree with you about the location of the USB pocket. I have a Logitech wireless mouse with one of those miniature receivers and even with such a small receiver attached to the side, I have trouble getting my laptop in and out of the bag. Personally, I bought it for the slim size and lightweight. I do with the front pocket was deeper and had a little bit more padding as it creates a bulge when you throw a power cord and mouse in there.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 9:01:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 6, 2011 9:01:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 12:03:09 PM PDT
Curt Story says:
I agree with the "fits like a glove" comment here. I wish it fit my 15.6" ASUS less like a glove and more like a snowboarding jacket...with ample expansion and better cargo pockets. I should have heeded this review before I purchased. The product photos gave me a false impression of volume.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 7:52:10 AM PDT
PatC says:
Glad I read your review, thanks for posting it. Ordering the VNCi-116.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 7:08:46 AM PDT
Ossicle says:
Like everybody else, thanks very much for this review, it guided me to a better choice for my 15.6" laptop.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 1:33:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2011 1:34:16 PM PDT
JP says:
It looks like these cases were designed (c. 2003) before widescreen laptops became popular. The internal dimensions of the 14.1" case may not quite fit my Dell Latitude 14.1" laptop.

According to the product description, "VNA-214 accommodates devices with displays up to 14.1" or with dimensions up to 13.5 x 9.9 x 1.8." The width of my new Dell Latitude E5420 is about 13.8 inches, 5/16" wider than the interior of the case.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 10:19:37 PM PST
A. Jauregui says:
Just wanted to add my two cents. The one side opening versus the three side opening is actually a positive for the product. If a laptop has a zipper that goes around three sides it is more likely to touch the borders of the laptop and create scratches. I had a neoprene case for my laptop which protected the top and bottom wonderfully, but the borders, esp. the corners, were scrapped and rubbed by the zipper. Zippers are not friendly to plastic.Something like: Neewer 14'' Laptop Notebook Soft Sleeve Bag Case for Laptop DELL HP Lenovo, might help the laptop keep protected from zippers. Note that product has none.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›