4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but be careful of hitting your eye while drumming, February 15, 2008
This review is from: Schylling Silly Circus Tin Drum (Toy)
I just got this drum about a week ago for my daughter's 2nd birthday. She likes it very much. This drum comes with an adjustable strap to wear around your neck so that your kid can march and beat the drum at the same time. It also comes with two mini drumsticks, which are okay size-wise. There are three colored balls inside the drum, about the size of a ping-pong ball. The drum is fairly lightweight and I haven't found any sharp edges, even though the sides are metal. I found that shaking the drum makes the balls bounce around inside and makes drumming sounds too, which is an alternative to using the drumsticks.

My daughter accidentally hit herself in the eyebrow with the drumstick end while wearing it and beating the drum at the same time. We had the strap on the longest length, which still gave her only about 6-8 inches between the top of the drum and her chin. I guess it can happen if your kid beats it pretty roughly while wearing it.

The sound is like a drum, but only when you are wearing it, or it isn't flat on the carpet. When it is sitting on the carpet, the sound is pretty junk.

The strap, once you attach the clips to the drum, it seems that you cannot ever remove it. I don't know why the clips are made that way, but I've tried, and so has my husband.

The top and bottom of the drum are clear plastic, and so far seem to be taking the abuse pretty well. It looks like they are wrapped around an inner cylinder that makes it stronger and less likely to push in if my daughter decides to step or stand on it.

My daughter is too young to play with this unsupervised, but I feel that it is a great addition to her musical toys as well as the fact she attends Music Together classes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2008 11:24:18 AM PDT
Reni says:
An email was just sent informing me that the woodstock drum is out of stock; I am very disappointed because I placed the order yesterday when it WAS in stock. However, my daughter is also two (as of last week), and I've been searching for a decent, smaller drum. I think I will give this a try, so thanks for the review. We are in Maryland, and also attend Music Together.........my baby absolutely loves it. You should ask your teacher to recommend a great music store that carries the smaller instruments. We have one nearby, but I just need to find time to get over there.

Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 11:34:52 PM PDT
R. Anderson says:
I have a West Music catalog, and they have a lot of percussion type instruments for kids. They do not ship to Hawaii, but they did send me the catalog on request. If you live on the Mainland it might be worthwhile to check it out. I'm not sure about the shipping costs though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (17 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $29.95