2.0 out of 5 stars Not one I'd recommend., May 14, 2011
This review is from: Pieces of Happily Ever After (Kindle Edition)
I read this book rather quickly and I enjoyed it for the most part. I don't think it is a book I'll be impatient to pick up again, nor do I feel the need to recommend it to others.

I had read a sample on my Kindle a while back, but ended up buying a $5.00 paperback version(much cheaper than the Kindle version), and I'm glad I didn't spend more money on it. While the storyline intrigued me(I'm a sucker for plots that deal with a family dynamic)and had a good pace, I never felt much depth from the main character, Alice (the other characters lacked depth as well, but I took most issue with the lack of depth in Alice). I wanted so much more from her than what I received. The more I read about Alice, the more I found her to be a rather unlikeable character who went from one situation to the next without really seeing her growth. I found certain things glazed over for the point of plot.
The ectopic pregnancy, for example could have been so much more poignant. I didn't even have the chance to feel for Alice or to find out how Alice was feeling because it was pretty quickly swept under the rug at the light of her husband's possible infidelity.

I also wasn't a big fan of Irene Zutell's writing style. I felt the humor felt rather forced instead of natural, but my main issue was that it felt rather simply written, more juvenile than what I would prefer. I'm not impatient to pick up any of her other novels based upon this one.

Lastly, I felt the daughter, Gabby, to be horrifically annoying. I also didn't feel she fit the characterization of a typical 5-year-old. While I'm sure there are some kids like Gabby, in my experiences, none are as well spoken as or perceptive as Gabby was. I had to keep reminding myself that she was truly only a 5-year-old while reading this novel.

The book kept me entertained on a rainy Saturday afternoon and the storyline did intrigue me enough to finish it, but for as far as good women's fiction goes, this was a miss.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]