5.0 out of 5 stars Jaybird Freedom vs. Jabra Sport vs. Nokia BH-505, September 21, 2011
This review is from: JayBird Freedom Bluetooth Earbuds, Retail Packaging, Midnight Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
First, I have owned all three of these products. The reason I list the Nokia BH-505 is because they are my baseline for fit, bluetooth reliability and sound. They are in no way sweat-proof, but they do offer unrivaled signal and offer very good fit due to their extreme light weight and in-ear design.

Nokia BH-505
These are very light weight and have an in-ear earbud design, so the sound is superior to the Motorola S9 or S10. They are also lighter. They are not sweatproof, but I have worn them countless times in the gym when I do my resistance training workouts. I would not wear them during cardio workouts or out running because the greater amount of perspiration would cause them to short out. Their design allows for a larger, stronger bluetooth transceiver, so reception in an open gym is very good. I can routinely be up to 50 feet away from my iPhone4 and the signal doesn't drop out. It's a shame Nokia doesn't make a sweatproof version.

Jabra Sport
I jumped at these the first chance I could, but for a few reasons they ended up getting returned. The compact design is ideal for running or cycling, but the smaller transceiver puts greater restrictions on how far you can be from your music device. In fact, as many users have said before, you can't even wear your device on your left arm - you must place it on your right arm or the signal will drop out. This isn't a major issue for me, because I always use an armband when running so switching to the right arm is no big deal. When cycling, I place the iPhone in a handlebar mount, so signal transmission is not an issue (it is not passing through any part of my body). The fit of these headphones is not an in-ear design. Instead, it is meant to sit just outside the ear canal. This and the added bulk of the over the ear design causes a less secure fit when running and, when cycling, causes a large amount of wind noise/turbulence when cycling more than 10mph. The radio also seems to be of very poor quality as I could not find a single station despite living in a populous area.

Jaybird Freedom
These had everything I needed and nothing I didn't. They had no useless radio adding to the bulk of the units. They feature an earbud design that fit me perfectly with the larger set of buds. The gecko strips don't seem to help the fit for me, but the over-the-ear clips give them added stability when I go cycling or running. The reception seems to be slightly stronger than the Jabra Sport, but still nothing close to the Nokia BH-505s due to the smaller transceiver/antenna. The cord between the two earpieces may be longer than the Jabra, but it comes with a ring that you can move to adjust the effective length. The warranty against sweat is also an added bonus. Although if you look at the definition of a "lifetime" warranty as Jaybird defines it, it is for the average life of the product, which is 2-3 years. Still, this removes any anxiety I may have had about using it on long runs or rides on hot days. This one is the winner in my opinion.

[Add comment]