4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great, December 15, 2009
This review is from: The Official Michael Jackson Opus (Leather Bound)
NEGATIVES:

1. Incorrect dates. I've noticed a few of them. 1979 is very different from 1984, right? This makes me think that either this was a very hurried effort - i.e. "Get it out there while people are still interested in his death!" or that it just wasn't proofread properly. Either way - not good. Not for hundreds of dollars - and not for what should be the most accurate, sort of encyclopedic text on the man in existence.

2. Some of the choices for testimonials are a little questionable - like they couldn't find anyone better to comment on his fashion sense than Kimora Lee Simmons?

3. Photo Quality. Most of these photos look fuzzy. You would think they would be really crisp and high resolution on this beautiful glossy paper. Some of the photos of the paintings are much too blurry to see details. In the description it says something like "There's Janet Jackson, as a fairy in the foreground" - but then you look where this fairy is, and she's pretty much just a blur.

4. The Art Lover section. I personally enjoy these paintings, and I think some of them are funny and cute, but honestly these paintings, and the testimonials from the artists don't really do much in the way of making him look anything close to sane. I guess it doesn't really matter at this point.

5. Fan Art? Yeah... don't care. Sorry. Would rather have more pictures, or writing from Michael, quotes from him, more scanned documents or notes, some kind of timeline - any pertinent information would be more appreciated than that.

POSITIVES:

1. It's seriously HUGE. It really is impressive, and heavy. It feels like something grand that you would spend a lot of money on. The red cloth-covered box it comes in looks great, as well as the brush-stroke-style illustration on it.

2. There are many photos in it I hadn't seen before, and I've seen a lot of them.

3. The organization. I feel they covered all the main aspects of Michael Jackson as an artist and public figure. Childhood Stardom, Composing, Dancing, Singing, Humanitarianism, Videos, Fashion, Lover of Art... each one is accompanied by a spread of all red with another custom brush illustration as well to go with the section.

4. Some of the testimonials from and friends/associates are a little insightful if you read between the lines.

5. Michael would LOVE this book if he could see it (I think).

6. A real tribute to Michael is always nice to see. People think he's getting all these tributes left and right, maybe they think it's too many - but for long-time fans, he's been reviled and humiliated for the past 15 years in his own country, and it's nice for us to see fitting and loving public tributes to him - even if they are too late.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2009 1:01:47 AM PST
D'ARCY says:
I agree with your point about Kimora Lee Simmons. I don't even think she actually met him.
I also did find 1 incorrect date so far. I couldn't find the fairy that was supposed to be Janet Jackson, so when I look again, I will get out the magnifying glass. I also don't care about the fan art. Overall though, I like the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2009 6:44:41 PM PST
Michael would love this book...he commissioned it HIMSELF for his FANS.

I'm still debating about ordering it. B&N are selling it now...how weird.
Please report back with any other discrepancies.

Posted on Dec 26, 2009 4:36:47 PM PST
L. Thompson says:
Waldo,

YOu are spot on with your review. In fact, had I written a review, it would have been very similar to yours.

Thank you for your insightful review.

I will add that I'm most disappointed to have received ONE cotton glove, no media card, and several pages marred or covered with
powdered substance.

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 12:55:05 AM PST
I like your points ...
overall , it's a good tribute .
any true fan should own a piece of this , but I still think it could have been " BETTER " don't you think ?
about the segments of the book , It'd have been nice to add a segment about "Neverland" since it was a huge part of who MJ was !
happy that I have the opus . I just love it with all the flaws : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2010 1:24:30 PM PST
B&N are selling it too?? how much is it there?? are they selling the leather bound one or the other one??

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 5:42:30 PM PST
I don't understand your point about dates, 1979 and 1984. I haven't found any dates I couldn't verify from CDs or MJ's autobiography and that were clearly incorrect. I also don't get your point about the pictures of his paintings being too blurry to see details--I've found magnifying lenses very helpful. As for the photos not being crisp and high resolution, you seem to forget these weren't taken with today's technology. Most of the older ones were shot with 35mm film, which is decidedly grainy when enlarged to the size of the pictures in Opus. If his photographers had all been using 4x5 large format cameras, all the images would decidedly have been sharper, but those heavy, bulky cameras probably couldn't have been maneuverable enough or fast enough to capture many of those shots, especially the candids and action performance shots. Of course high resolution digital cameras didn't exist in the 80s. The editors of Opus had to work with the images they had.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2010 5:49:43 PM PST
I think you missed the point of the glove. Michael was known for wearing ONE glove. The glove you received was probably sealed, as mine is. It's a display item, not intended for use with the book. I also got no media card, but none of my pages were marred or covered with a powdered substance. Sounds like a defect to me. You should contact Opus.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2010 5:52:56 PM PST
I also wish it had a segment about Neverland, although that was really not part of his work life. It was part of his private life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010 2:45:49 PM PST
Cobe says:
I do not understand why you would want to receive two gloves. Michael only wore ONE, right?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (19 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $350.00