5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent media quality, January 25, 2005
This review is from: Verbatim 8.5 GB 2.4X Double Layer Recordable Disc DVD+R DL, 3-Disc Jewel Cases 95014 (Electronics)
Quick Summary: Burns at 2.4x or 4x on Plextor 716A burner; Verbatim DVD+R DL burned with the Plextor 716A is PLAYABLE in EVERY DVD Player (at least 20 and counting) I have tried!!! Awesome.

Full article:

I recently used the Verbatim DVD+R DL media to back up a couple of my most popular DVD's. The original was 8.1GB in size and contained about 50 music videos. I couldn't get it to squeeze down to fit on a single layer disc. Verbatim DVD+R DL to the rescue!

Using my new Plextor PX-716A burner (an excellent DVD Burner!), I used the included PlexTools program to make a copy of my DVD. Note, the original DVD is not protected in any way.

I burned the DVD+R DL at 4x speed (approx. 28 min. to burn). There is a selection in the Plextor's software to "overwrite" the book type of the DVD+R DL so that it looks like a pressed dual-layer DVD to settop DVD players (to avoid a confusing older DVD players). I used this setting (it is by default) to burn the DVD.

When it comes to DVD burning, there is no better test than the compatiblilty and quality test of the burned disc. The test is simple, put the burned DVD in as many players as you can and see how many can and cannot read it. Well, I have to say that I have tested this DVD+R DL in over 20 DVD players so far, and ALL have played it with NO COMPATIBILITY issues whatsoever. This finding is as good as or better than all DVD+R and DVD-R (single layer) I have ever used.

After having read all the reviews on the web about how incompatible burned DVD+R DL discs are, I have to say, the Plextor 716A and Verbatim DVD+R DL combination blows everything else away.

Yes, the discs are kinda expensive, but if you have valuable or irreplaceable DVDs to back up, they will work for you. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Just a couple quick notes:
1. To ensure compatibility among all DVD-Players, be sure you set your recording software to finalize all DVD+/-R's with the DVD-Rom booktype. If you do not, older DVD players may have trouble recognizing the DVD's. The Plextor drives have a setting (via Plextools) that will allow you to force them to always finalize with the DVD-Rom booktype!

2. I have burned about 200 of these Verbatim DVD+R DL discs successfully and have used no other brand. I refuse to even try another brand. There have been only 2 out of all of them I had problems with. First one I put an adhesive label on, and the label warped the DVD. When I tried to "flatten" it, the DVD cracked center-to-edge and I had to toss it. Second disc had a few read errors on it near the layer switch. The bonding on that disc appeared to be a bit weak near the center, as some of the dye was inconsistent there. Go figure as to why the problem was at the layer break at the outer edge of the DVD.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2011 9:24:38 AM PDT
Handyman says:
After all this time, Verbatim DVD+R DL are the only DL media I would consider using for making essential, reliable, and archival dual layer DVD's.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:55:49 PM PST
Tre' says:
would anyone be able to point me in the direction of discs like these that I can print onto? I"m working on being able to duplicate dvds/cd's and blurays for people that have the need for my work. Also with that I want to be able to print there cover onto the discs themselves giving them the top of the line professional quality product that they would expect to get from Best Buy or anywhere else. Please let me know what you think, I really want to get some good discs to turn out the best product for my customers. They want good quality and when they come to me they get nothing but the best!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›