2,262 of 2,297 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful appliance - good customer support, January 21, 2004
This review is from: KitchenAid KSM150PSWW 5-Qt. Artisan Series with Pouring Shield - White on White (Kitchen)
My wedding gift mixer (a Sunbeam Mixmaster) turned 33 a week before Christmas, and my husband thought it was time for me to have a new one. He gifted me on Christmas with the KitchenAid 5 Qt. Artisan in white. I love this mixer and leave it out on my counter, something I never did with the Mixmaster. I recently purchased the citrus juicer attachment from Amazon and am very pleased with it as well. I have not read all 109 previous reviews on this site, but I have read a few that were disgruntled because their Artisans did not mix well. I initially had the same problem with the beater/bowl clearance. It is very simple to remedy. There is a beater adjustment screw on the mixer and the manual describes how to make the adjustments. I got even better instructions by calling customer support at KitchenAid. The technician told me to drop a dime into the empty bowl, turn the mixer on (about setting 2) using the flat beater, and it should move the dime 1/4" to 1/2" each time it rotates around the bowl. This is the right clearance for the beater to mix everything at the bottom of the bowl, but not low enough to cause wear on the beater from constant friction with the bottom of the bowl during usage. I tweaked the screw setting 1/4 turn each time until I got that dime moving. At this setting, I can now beat a single egg white to stiff peaks in the 5 qt. bowl. That's impressive.
This mixer is as sturdy as a tank, and you can hear the quality as it mixes. Although I had previously purchased a KitchenAid mixer for my daughter as a gift, I would never have splurged on one for myself. I am so happy my husband thought I was worth it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2007 5:39:15 PM PST
Wow, what an excellent review and informative suggestion. Thanks for the tip!

Posted on Aug 12, 2008 8:41:50 PM PDT
El Grande says:
Makes you wonder how many of the people who posted horrific reviews of this product bothered to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! Great review.

Posted on Apr 1, 2009 6:09:34 PM PDT
Raquel Mack says:
Awesome review! Very informative and I can wait to receive my mixer. Thanks so much and congrats on your many years of marriage!!

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 10:50:19 AM PDT
I don't know if you will ever read this, but thank you for the excellent review and for sharing the information you received from the technician with all of us. I just purchased this mixer for my wife as a Christmas gift. I am going to make a note about the dime trick, so I don't forget to try it when Christmas is finally here!

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 6:55:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2009 6:55:50 PM PST
Phoebe says:
I bought my first Kitchenaid recently and remembered your review from months ago when I was still doing research. I noticed my mixer wasn't picking up all the flour in the bottom of the bowl, so I tried the dime trick. Sure enough, the dime didn't budge when I turned on the mixer. I adjusted it easily, thanks to your excellent info. In case other readers have misplaced their manuals, the Height Adjustment Screw is the flat-head screw that is exposed only when you lift the mixer head. Turn clockwise to lower the head.

Posted on Dec 31, 2009 6:40:54 AM PST
M. Jackson says:
My mixer just arrived in the mail today. Guess what the first thing I'm going to put in my mixing bowl is? A DIME. Thank you soooo much for this very helpful tip. I look forward to years of use! :)

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 3:07:18 PM PST
People who complain without researching why they are having problems are a problem.. ;) Thanks for a great review!

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 2:12:44 AM PST
Thank you for the tip. I just got my mixer and this helped me adjust it properly. Before I decided on getting this model of mixer, I read as many of the reviews here as I could, and this one helped me make my decision. Thanks again!

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 10:24:24 AM PDT
Kathy says:
Thanks for the review. My Sunbeam has served me well for many years, and I just loved it. It is still in beautiful shape - except there was a problem with the inner beater and I tried to use it to make mousse it didn't sound smooth like it always had. I got new set of beaters but whatever holds the inner beater right in place isn't holding it in quite right and it also doesn't sound right - like it's about to bind up, not a good thing. I have researched a little and there is a small piece that holds the beater in that is the problem. If I can find a small appliance repairman who can fix it (no parts are available as far as I can tell) it will probably cost me as much as to buy a new one (and I'm not pleased at the changes they've made) so I may opt for this one or the less expensive classic model. This has the 5 quart bowl though, and I'm used to having that size and a smaller one with the Sunbeam. Good to know someone who's had an older Sunbeam is happy with this.

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 7:19:58 PM PST
3000dj says:
Thank you so much! I have been using my mixer (with great results) for several years and never knew about the dime trick. Very helpful.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›