4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Rain Jacket for Mid-Atlantic Spring - and Then Some, May 4, 2011
I was trapped in Cincinnati about a week ago when the incessant rain came through. From sprinkles in the evenings, to at one point sheets of rain coming down that would have soaked me otherwise, the Marmot Precip jacket that I purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods turned out to be one of the best investments for the week (and probably well into the future) that I've made in my wardrobe purchases.

One thing about this jacket is that if you run water from the sink over the sleeve, absolutely no water gets through. It just runs right off. Truly watertight, yet comfortably thin enough to be breathable. Also if it's dusted with rain drops, you can just "shake it out" before you go inside and hang it up without water all over the place sliding all over you like on some more traditional rubberized raincoats. It packs extremely well for the business traveler (me) or backpacker, and can be layered to achieve the necessary warmth for the season. I imagine that this jacket will work well through the summer with my short sleeved collared shirts.

One interesting thing about what water does on this jacket is that like a newly waxed car, the drops of water seem to just stay in place - and then just fall off when you're moving. If I remember correctly the last North Face raincoat I had seemed to let water just roll all over the place, and soak into the corners and and seams. No issues here with this jacket.

The one issue, however, that I had with this jacket is that it doesn't push water away from your legs. I had a nice pair of slacks on while headed out for dinner in downtown Cincinnati. Running through the sheets of rain made the pants so soaked they stuck to my skin like a second layer of skin. But my starched shirt underneath stayed dry and crisp.

In short, a great jacket. But if I'm heading out through sheets of rain in a city, walking to or from my car, I'm going to get a full-length raincoat. But for everyday use, summer shorts and summer rains, or even fall drizzle, this is a great jacket. If you want to go all out Marmot also makes Precip pants - but they don't go well with button-down oxfords and leather bucs, so I'll have to pass. Great coat for the lightweight packer, business traveler, or anyone else who wants a light and seemingly durable, effective raincoat that breathes reasonably well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2012 7:37:23 AM PDT
Loves2Read says:
My husband is going on trip to Princee Ruppert Sound area--NW of Victorial BC in later June---warm temps during the day, lots of rain showers, and cooler nights.
He neeeds waterproof, breathable jacket that is not too heavy/cumbersome--
would this be good choiice?
How comfortable is the hood?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:59:00 AM PDT
W. Moncure says:
Overall very decent. The hood is constructed of the same material as the rest of the jacket. That being said, if there is a hat that you recommend do mention it. I personally enjoy the wax-sealed cap offerings from Barber (they typically make the British wax-sealed jackets) and they are fairly stylish - not too many folks wear them but they are special!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:22:31 AM PST
Chris says:
FYI, I use my jacket when fly fishing and wear a ball cap under the hood. The hood is fine on its own but I like the added brim.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:25:14 AM PST
W. Moncure says:
That's a great extra use - I would say that a waterproof ballcap - such as a wax cap (as British wax jacket style) is an awesome compliment. But they are great for fishing cause you can almost stuff this in a pocket when it's compressed!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›