5.0 out of 5 stars You Might Need This If You Buy Any Of the 2011/2012/2013 Kindle e-Readers: Kindle, Kindle Keyboard, Touch, Paperwhite, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Amazon 5W USB Charger (also compatible with other android and iOS devices) (Accessory)
UPDATE 11/3/13: All the new 2013 Kindle Fire HD and Fire HDX's come with their own charger so you won't need to buy one of these separately for those devices.

UPDATE 10/15/13: This will work to charge any of the 2011/2012/2013 Kindle e-Readers: Kindle, Kindle Keyboard, Touch, Paperwhite using the included USB cable that it comes with the e-reader. In fact, it is what I am also using to charge my 2012 Fire HD although the Fire would charge faster with the newer Amazon Kindle 9W PowerFast Adapter for Accelerated Charging

The newer Kindle e-readers(Kindle, Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite) come with an included USB 2.0 USB to Micro-B cable that you can use to charge your device by connecting it to the USB port of a computer. But the specs also say:

"U.S. POWER ADAPTER SOLD SEPARATELY"

So you are going to need one of these if you ordered one of these Kindles and want to wall charge it. For awhile these were 50% off as Amazon was trying to take some of the sting out of the deal for when everyone finds out that they need an adapter to plug/charge it in a wall outlet. In the past(before 2012) all Kindles came with the adapter included in the purchase price. Welcome to the new Amazon! A plus, however, is that it will also charge any iPod that charges via USB.

This is the same adapter that you should already have if you own one of the the first generation Kindles, so no need to buy a 2nd one. I lost the adapter on my Kindle 3(Kindle Keyboard) and had to buy one of these.

It's a nice, small adapter with an Amazon logo. It does exactly what it is designed to do, charges a Kindle. Do yourself a favor. If you need one, buy it directly from Amazon or from a seller with a "Fulfilled by Amazon" designation so you qualify for the the 30 day hassle free return/replacement policy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2011 9:27:39 AM PDT
max p says:
I have the original kindle and just bought the Fire. I know the fire comes with its own adapter, but i always like to have two adapters so i can leave 1 at home and 1 at work. I own this Amazon USb adapter already and was wondering if it will work for the Kindle Fire. Does anyone know if its compatible?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 4:52:10 PM PDT
Wayne says:
It's completely compatible. All Kindle USB power adapters are compatible.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 11:23:21 PM PDT
Ellen Ripley says:
Yes, all are compatible. USB 2.0 is a standard that all devices using it must comply with.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 10:12:14 AM PST
MiniLaura says:
My question: My husband is getting a Fire and I'm getting a Touch. Will I be able to use the power adapter that comes with his Fire on my Touch? We will never have to charge our machines at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 11:45:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 11:12:37 AM PST
Ellen Ripley says:
The specs on all the Kindles are the same regarding charging so you WILL be able to charge your Touch with the adapter that comes with the Fire and probably faster.

Update 11/17: I tried charging my Touch with the Kindle Fire wall adapter and it worked very well.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:09:37 AM PST
R. Wallace says:
You will certainly be able to charge the Kindle Fire with this - but I don't think it has enough power to run the Fire without a net loss of charge on the Kindle's battery. Maybe it does (?)

When I plugged my kindle fire into a standard USB port to charge (and the charging light was on), I powered the Fire back up, set it to the device page and, over the next 15 minutes, saw the battery charge indicator drop by two percentage points.

This says to me that my USB port wasn't providing enough current to keep the kindle fire from depleting its battery. I'm not sure what the power output of that USB port I used was (it was straight off one of my desktop computer's USB ports) so, as always, your mileage may vary. Just be aware that the Kindle Fire uses much more power than any other Kindle you may have so if your intent is to use this as a battery substitute as well as a charger, you might be disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 10:59:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 11:09:56 AM PST
Ellen Ripley says:
R. Wallace, thanks vert much for you input, I've been waiting to hear other people's experiences before reporting my findings.
If I understand you correctly, you had the Fire on the the Device page and were using just the USB cord between the Fire and your computer USB port.(You weren't using it plugged into the wall AC).

Yes, I ran a similar test myself, my results were similar but slightly better. My computer has a USB 2.0 port and I had my Fire plugged in for 30 minutes. I didn't lose any charge, but it took 30 minutes to gain just a 3% increase in charge as I monitored the Device page(nothing else running). Your loss of charge may mean you have a USB 1.0 port on your computer. So, two things I've noted from my test, your comment and one other person's comment(who said need 2.0 USB port) I read somewhere else:

1) the port must be a USB 2.0 port to charge your Fire just from your computer using the USB cord.
2) the Fire WILL charge plugged into the USB 2.0 port of your computer, just VERY slowly, roughly 3% over a 30 minute period of non-use(your mileage may vary). If you are actively using the Fire while it is plugged in it will just barely retain it's current battery charge. Mine didn't lose any charge while I was watching a movie, but didn't gain any either.

Maybe someone can report on whether the Fire actually charges faster using the AC adapter included with the Fire versus this Amazon Kindle US Power Adapter (Kindle, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX). I lost mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 2:19:19 PM PST
MiniLaura says:
Thanks Ellen!

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 3:13:33 PM PST
For Real says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 3:08:05 PM PST
Um, the Kindle Keyboard has the adapter - and I use it on the Touch (though might buy today at a WHOPPING 50 cents off ;-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›