5.0 out of 5 stars How often do you fall in love with a household appliance?, January 11, 2010
This review is from: Vitamix 1363 CIA Professional Series, Platinum (Kitchen)
I ordered Vitamix 5200, but was upgraded by kitchenuniverse because they were out of it. It's the same machine except for an upgraded book and different color base.

things I can now do (or not do)with my Vitamix:
1. dont have to section oranges or lemons. healthier this way too. (just peel and remove seeds)
2. don't have to peel garlic (healthier? maybe. definitely more whole)
3. don't have to chop carrots (still a good idea to quarter apples)
4. sell my ice cream machine, and juicer
5. make smoothies while baby is asleep in the next room(can go as fast as variable 5 w/out much noise at all, it can still crush ice effortlessly at this speed). Even at the highest speed, it's as noisy as a regular vacuum, and I usually don't need to go full speed for very long anyway. The only time you need to go long (5-7 minutes) is for heating up soup, but why? adding hot water before blending is a greener alternative.
6. make as little as a cup of smoothie at a time (vortex action still works well, and so easy to clean, why not? there are so many good recipes to try in the included book and I only want to make a little bit at a time to test them out)
7. fill it to the top and make smoothies for everyone (the tamper is needed when I make this much strawberry daiqueri, but it comes out perfectly smooth from top to bottom)
8. don't always need to add liquid to a recipe before blending. (tamper comes in handy when not using liquids)
9. grind peppercorns, coffee beans.
10. turn ice into snow in less than 3 seconds (havent' done it personally, but it's on the demo dvd)

for those who wonder why it's so easy to clean: there are no parts to disassemble and reassemble. just add water, a drop of soap and turn on high. Sometimes it'll still leave bits that dried on, but just wipe it manually, no big deal. It's the assembly and disassembly that makes people not use their regular blender as often as they want or should.

some say the blendtec (competitor) doesn't need a tamper because it blends so well. Don't believe it. The only reason it doesn't need it is because the machine automatically raises and lowers the speed at intervals to get things into the spinning vortex. Umm...you can do that w/the Vitamix manually and you can do it better than a pre-programmed machine. The blendtec boasts 3 HP while Vitamix is 2 HP. I cant even imagine needing to go any faster than the Vitamix already does, and trust me I have a big imagination. The blendtec is even preprogrammed so you can walk away from it while it prepares your recipes, but do you really want to walk away from a machine this powerful? I believe in simplicity and that is the major advantage of the Vitamix over the blendtec. Yes the blendtec fits under the cabinets and a Vitamix does not, but that's not a big deal to me because my Vitamix takes centerstage on my kitchen island.

Overall, if all you need to do is make a couple smoothies, this blender will disappoint you because of its price. It can do so much more, but you can only appreciate it if you are committed to changing your lifestyle too. I've been transitioning to raw vegan for about a year and I wanted a Vitamix since the beginning but wasn't ready to take the financial plunge. Let's just say when I finally bought this machine, it brought me to a whole nother level. I can't imagine going raw without it. Try buying the following books along w/your Vitamix "green smoothie revolution" by Boutenko, or any of the multitudes of raw food cookbooks on Amazon. The books will help you appreciate your machine even more, inspiring you to keep up with a healthier, more conscious lifestyle. This is truly a machine that you can fall in love with.

**update** I've had this Vitamix for 2 months now and I've been using it at least twice a day. I noticed some peculiar things which I would like to share.

- took it to my mom's house...it was significantly louder. I'm not sure why, my counter is made of granite, hers is a laminate type material. ceiling height is about the same. *shrug*
- decided to keep my ice cream maker. It makes sorbets just fine, but ice "cream" tasted very watered down (at least the ones in the included book did). I may adjust by freezing the milk or cream cubes instead of using ice cubes.
- I put two cups of flax seeds into the regular bladed container, turned it on and it became flour in a few seconds. (it was beautiful) I'm confused why a dry blade exists or why it's even needed. I can get rid of my coffee/spice grinder now.
- something fun....turn the dial from 1 to 10 and back and forth...it really does sound like a Ferrari engine!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2010 1:34:10 AM PDT
Thank You for your very thorough and candid comments!!! I am deciding between the VitaMix Commercial and the Blend Tech...which one is louder? Also, have you ever heard how loud the VitaMix 5200 is compared to this commercial VitaMix model?
Thank you for honesty. Gratefully yours, Val

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 1:34:28 AM PDT
Thank you for honesty. Gratefully yours, Val

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 11:33:26 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Nice review! As to the Blendtec's higher horsepower, the Vitamix runs both slower and FASTER than the Blendtec; it's about the engineering as well as the power. You got the better appliance, trust me.
You definitely want to use milk and/or cream cubes for ice cream. In fact, I've been making smoothies for 22 years and have never used ice--frozen fruits and various "milk" (skim, soy, etc.) cubes ONLY. Why dilute? :)
The dry container is supposed to throw the flour upwards; this is supposed to keep it cooler and ensure that the unprocessed grain gets ground. The process will eventually cloud your container as well, so you might want to keep that in mind. Most owners aren't happy with a cloudy wet container.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 10:00:40 AM PST
Meep says:
Hi MacGuffin-Any thoughts about which VitaMix is a better buy than the others for normal household use? I have been searching through your reviews but haven't found any VitaMix yet, (I'm around page 18 so far) and suddenly thought maybe I would just ask you what you thought! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 12:35:29 PM PST
MacGuffin says:
Hey, Meep! I just finished responding to your comment on another of my reviews. :)

Which "others" do you mean? I bought my current Vita-Mix nine or so years ago so it wouldn't be cricket of me to review a machine I don't own. I have a 5000, which performs like the current 5200 and everything that looks like it (I call them collectively "the 5000 series"--they have so many goofy product numbers for the same machines at this point) but the motor on mine was made here rather than Sweden, the container isn't BPA-free, the lid's a little different...you get the idea. My current Vita-Mix is the second I've owned; the first was a 4000 that worked perfectly when I upgraded. Vitamix took it back in trade towards the 5000, sent me the box, and paid for the return shipping; they allowed me $75. I kick in on reviews if I have something useful to say but until I upgrade to the new 300, I can't in good conscience write a review.

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 5:45:37 AM PDT
Marissa says:
I would love to have a vitamix because it's the most efficient high quality blender available :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2013 9:47:17 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Look into a reconditioned machine of the Vitamix site. You can call them; it's toll-free, they'll happily answer questions, and they won't push you to buy.

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 8:32:31 PM PDT
Awesome review!

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 10:06:51 AM PST
Madamsmall says:
Please be careful with blending apples: the seeds are poisonous!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2015 11:46:17 AM PST
MacGuffin says:
Yeah, if you should consume enormous amounts of them.

Please, don't perpetrate nonsense like this and just to head you off at the pass, they most assuredly do NOT contain arsenic. It's perfectly safe to consume an apple's seeds along with the host apple and is probably healthful as well. Apple seeds contain trace amounts of nitrilosides which are thought to target and destroy cancer cells. I wouldn't think of juicing or blending an apple without its seeds. If you're going to eliminate apple seeds, make sure you also eliminate most nuts, berries, carrots, celery, some pulses . . . need I go on? . . . from your diet as well since they all contain nitrilosides; do enjoy whatever's not on the list.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (469 customer reviews)

$599.00 $498.95