3.0 out of 5 stars It's a decent machine, but the accessories are really poor., March 7, 2009
This review is from: NEW Soymilk Maker - SoyQuick Premier Milk Maker 930P
I use to make soy milk using a stone grinder back in China. Now, I'm fatter & lazier, got this machine to make life easier and hopefully better soy milk! Unfortunately, there's some things about this machine that just doesn't work right.

1. The accessories are extremely poor. For an almost $200 machine, didn't expect to find a $0.99 brush, strainer, measure cup & a plastic jug with the handles detached.
2. Because the strainer is so bad, you get bits of beans that's not fully grinded in the soy milk.
3. The grinder motor isn't powerful enough so the blades are ultra sharp, and still doesn't grind the beans all the way. Which makes the cleaning a bit harder.
4. The cleaning is reasonable, but by all means not easy. It's heated in high temp, so the soy does stick to the metal, and requires some scrubbing to clean.

If this machine is the 1st one I've used or have nothing to compare it to, I would give is 4 stars. Still have to deduct 1 star for the terrible accessories. But when compared to a Blendtec, this one has to be returned.

Suggest using this:
Blendtec blender - grind the beans. ( yes, this blender is very expensive $400, but seriously one of the best investments I've ever made. I've got dozens of kitchen gadgets, this is the only gadget that stays on the counter all the time. ultra useful) 1 small rice cup beans dried to 16oz of water. Add more or less beans based on taste preference.

Use a Rice Bag or cloth to drain it, then the soy milk is really smooth. There is a really Chinese method, use pantyhose. Don't laugh now, try it and you'll see just how crappy the strainer is compared to this.

Bring the soy milk to a full boil for 3 minutes or so using medium / small heat. ( this is the really boring hard part, takes a while)

Cleaning the blendtec is beyond easy. Run water thru it and it's done. Clearing Cloth - run water thru it and it's fine.
Cleaning the pot - requires a bit of scrubbing, but at least there is no sharp blade to scrub down.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2009 11:20:24 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I actually prefer using a dedicated soy milk machine as opposed to my Vita-Mix, however, I want to run my milk through a bag so that I can really press as much as possible out of the okara. You mention using a stocking--is the milk cold? It would seem that the fabric wouldn't hold up to the heat of hot milk.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009 12:18:17 AM PDT
M. Su says:
Yes, the milk is cold. Because I use the blentec to make the milk, it's cold. Then you run it thru the filter, then bring to a boil. I admit the entire process is easy, except bringing the milk to a boil. That's slow and a long wait, and need to constantly stir to avoid burning it. Usually standby with my DS or PSP while waiting for it to boil.

Posted on May 2, 2009 12:09:52 AM PDT
babyGoo says:
We used to make soymilk all the time--with a regular blender. Soak beans overnight, put in blender, add water, blend until smooth, strain through layers of cheesecloth, and boil in a pan. Cheap as it gets.

Posted on Sep 20, 2009 12:26:33 PM PDT
J. Amos says:
this is an extremely useful review. thank you.

M. Su, do you find yourself using your Blendtec & boil method more often than using this SoyQuick machine?

i'm a taiwanese american trying to return to my roots, food-wise. i remember my mom would try to make soymilk by hand after we moved to the US, and it just seemed like so much work. now i'm on my own, and i want to get more soy back into my diet.

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 12:16:35 AM PST
Thank you for posting such a thorough review, as well as sharing your tips!

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 4:27:41 PM PST
QF Jane says:
M. Su, which Blendtec do you recommend? There seems to be many model numbers!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 10:54:59 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I prefer the Japanese method for soymilk--cook the gô (soybean mash), then strain. Your method's Chinese. I prefer the former; neither is right or wrong.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 10:45:10 PM PDT
VP says:
This was a very good, useful review for a product I have considered. Not any time soon, because in 2008 I bought the Sanlinx Soyapower Plus. I had bought and returned a lesser-known soymilk maker that failed on me, and this was the other one considered.

Four years later it is still a difficult choice, and it took a long time and a lot of considering. your review helped clarify it some. The Soyapower has worked well for me. It was $169 at the time. It is pretty quiet. Not to sound like I'm selling it, it had some cheapie accessories too. It made a larger quantity, which even as a single person, I prefer. Who wants to be making soymilk all the time? I can go through 6 cups in a week just using it on cereal and a little cooking.

What's funny is that people all over Marie Oser's soymilk board were ridiculously gaga about the Soyajoy (predecessor of the Soyapower) at the time. Then, they were all just nutso about this Soyquick. It was so noticeable, one wonders if a bunch of people were making money to "sell" it.

Not having the money for another machine now, it is wishful thinking, or buyer's remorse, or, maybe, just simply wanting the best product, and having difficulty wading through all the hype and reviews. You have to think about it to consider when a bad review is a stupid user's fault and when it is a product fault.

Thank you for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 4:46:20 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Have you considered the most recent Sanlinx machine? I was the first to review it on Amazon and I like it a LOT; it was an upgrade for me from the SoyaPower: Soyajoy G3 Soy Milk Maker - The Only Maker That Makes Fully Cooked As Well As Raw Milks From Beans, Almond, Hemp, and Grains . The ideal machine for me would be a hybrid of the SoyaPower Plus (I prefer its looks) and the Soyajoy G3 but the SoyaJoy's performance really is an upgrade and the Sanlinx folks are extremely nice and VERY conscientious.

I know what you mean about "all things Marie Oser." From what I've been able to tell, she's the Canadian distributor for these machines and has friends/fans write gaga reviews (it seems not to occur to any of them that it looks suspicious when a product has a gazillion five-star reviews written mostly by first-time reviewers). The fact of the matter is that it's probably best for Canadian buyers to buy from her and American buyers to buy from Sanlinx; phone support is easier this way, as are warranty issues.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (58 customer reviews)

Out of stock