4.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack but with a couple of minor drawbacks, December 15, 2010
This review is from: Case Logic SLRC-206 SLR Camera and 15.4-Inch Laptop Backpack (Black) (Camera)
This is a great camera backpack, and for the price, can't really be beat. However, there are a couple of things that I dislike about the bag.

1) The padded dividers are quite thick and take up a chunk of space within the backpack.

2) The hammock system for the camera is neat but it also results in a lot of wasted space at the top of the backpack on either side of where the DSLR body sits.

3) The zipper for the main flap goes down all the way to the bottom but due to the rubberized "bucket" at the bottom, has to stop above the bucket section at the base of the backpack. This is inconvenient because the lower most compartments of the backpack are hard to get at since the flap cannot be pulled apart any more. That space is pretty much dead space because anything that is stored in there will not be easily accessible unless you lay the bag completely flat and then struggle a bit with pulling your lens out of the bottom most compartment.

4) The pouches/flaps in this bag are not very useful due to their lack of having any real capacity as they sit flush against the body of the backpack. This is my single biggest gripe for the bag because the other points made above are more easy to overlook. I especially find it hard to store my GND filters and polarizer along with adapter rings and cokin filter holder in the front/side pouch which is where I should be able to store them for easy access.

Edit - I just wanted to clarify that while my review might perhaps sound more negative than the 4 star rating that I gave this bag, I just chose to list the few complaints I had, that I did not find in any other review at the time of purchase. There are plenty of great things about this bag, and I encourage you to read the abundant positive reviews here on Amazon to learn about them. I've owned this bag for almost a year now and I still like it. My camera has always felt safe in it. Since I don't carry more than 3 lenses at any given time, I have plenty of room in the bag for some of my other accessories.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2011 6:08:36 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 6:31:12 AM PDT
Andres - Refer to this line in my review:

"Don't let my list of negatives fool you. It is still a great backpack. I just decided to list these points because I didn't really see them in any reviews I read when researching the backpack. If I had, I might have considered a different backpack that had more pouch space for accessories."

This camera bag is definitely worthy of a 4 star rating. I only listed the few minor negatives that I had not found in other reviews, that I felt were important to note. I didn't list all the positives because many other reviewers have already done so and have done a better job at describing them than I would have.

I've owned this bag for almost a year now and I still love it. I don't carry a ton of lenses, so I usually have space in the bag for tossing in other accessories. My camera feels very safe and secure in this bag.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 8:59:49 AM PDT
i am looking for a backpack for my HXR-NX5U NXCAM Professional video Camcorder but i'm only finding backpacks for slr and dslr cameras but none for video cameras, so i'm wondering if the padding inside this bag is moveable enough that i can use this bag for my video camera, what do u think?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 9:28:30 AM PDT
Orion says:
Jason, I'll have to check if the long vertical separators can also be moved internally to accommodate for your camera (if it needs more room than the default configuration). The individual pads all velcro into the bag, so you can remove as many as you wish and reconfigure as you like.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 2:23:55 PM PDT
R Chu says:
I just bought this. The pads are all velcro attached so they can be adjusted. The best thing is do is to bring your camcorder to the store and try it out, or buy it from a store that you can return for a fitting at home.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:29:21 AM PDT
I wanted ti check with you if all the velcro pads in the camera section come off so i can use it as a regular laptop backpack and when required use it for the SLR?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:59:31 AM PDT
Praveen,

You can remove all the velcro pads...however, you shouldn't need to, because it also has a zipper compartment at the back where you can slide in a laptop (separate from the whole camera+lens storage area). The 6th Image on the Amazon product page shows a laptop being put into that compartment. But in any case, yes, you can remove and/or rearrange all the velcro pads as you see fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 10:27:46 PM PDT
Thanks for your reply..so just to understand..i can use this as a regular laptop bag and store all my usual junk by taking of all the pads in the slr pouch? and when i want to use my SLR i fix the pads back..is that correct or are they pads in the front part that cannot be removed?

Thanks mate

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 10:46:24 PM PDT
Hi Praveen,

Yes, you can remove all the internal stuff, including the Hammock system. However, it would be quite tedious to swap between the two configurations regularly. If it is something you do very rarely, it will work fine.

Cheers

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 11:03:35 AM PDT
Chicago John says:
Is this waterproof or does it have an integrated rain shield?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›