2.0 out of 5 stars Not So Great For Older Faces, August 23, 2006
This review is from: Bare Escentuals BareMinerals (Misc.)
I have tried this product and found it wanting. I agree with many of the reviewers that it feels light and silky and certainly looks like you have no makeup on at all. Unfortunately, I can look like I have no makeup on at all by simply wearing no makeup. With my older (early 50's) skin, I find that it really did not help in covering/hiding fine lines, dark(ish) circles under my eyes, or facial discoloration and the luminous quality of the powders actually seems to highlight wrinkles and lines rather than hide them. If I have to use a concealer makeup to aid in hiding these imperfections, I feel I might as well buy another type of makeup. On younger skin, I can well imagine this makeup could be quite lovely but I don't recommend it for the more mature set.

In an update to this review, based on some of the responses to my post, I decided (since I still had the makup!) to give it one more try and wear it for a week or so. It could be my skin type, but I still feel the "luminosity" of the makup only managed to accentuate, not hide, the fine lines around my eyes and mouth. Also, after wearing the makup daily for a little over a week, I found that it became increasingly itchy on my skin. I developed a few reddish patches on the more sensitive areas of my face (mainly around the eye area). I finally gave it away to a young person who will hopefully have better luck with it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2008 8:43:17 AM PST
Ellen Scott says:
I disagree! I am 70 years old and love this product. The secret is to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and let it sit for at least five minutes before applying Bare Minerals. For me it lasts all day and looks very natural and never "made up", which at 70 can look extremely grotesque. If you are a senior, don't be afraid to try it. You'll love it!

Posted on Apr 5, 2009 5:04:54 PM PDT
I totally agree. Good post!

Posted on Apr 24, 2009 12:22:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2009 12:23:03 PM PDT
Jamie says:
I use a cream concealer with a concealer brush to blend well, before I apply Bare escentuals foundation to hide age spots or discolorations. I have have been using this product for 6 weeks. I just love the natural more youthful look I get and that it is very easy to apply.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 7:57:17 AM PST
Bastet says:
I agree, Jamie, that a concealer might well help make the makeup look better but the point of the commercials and one of the initial reasons I bought the makeup was that they were touting it as being a light, stand-alone makeup that required (as they said in one of their ads) no use of "goopey" creams or liquids to make it look good. If I have to use cream concealers, my feeling is that I might as well just use regular old "goopey" makeup. I am pleased that the makeup works for you, though!

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 10:21:15 AM PDT
Mona Lisa says:
Another disagree here. I'm 55 and works great for me! Much better than some heavy nasty foundation.

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 10:21:22 AM PDT
Deedle says:
I agree totally! It accentuates all my fine lines and wrinkles -- something my liquid makeup does not do. And, I can't say my face is in 'bad' shape. I've been seeing a licensed esthetician for at least 5 years or more and get compliments on my skin all the time. I tried it because it was supposed to be lighter and better for my skin. It is lighter, and maybe it's better, but it made me look older than I am.

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 1:00:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2010 1:02:44 PM PST
T. Hutchins says:
I'm 44 and I have the same problem with this makeup. It smooths out the uneven color, but accentuates my fine lines. Also, the colors don't work for me - one is too pink and the other is too orange. Not long ago I ordered a coffee from a drive up window and the girl stuck her head out in the sun and her face, though luminous and smooth looking, was WAY too orange. I stop there all of the time so I just asked her if she uses Bare Minerals, and wouldn't you know it she said YES! I started paying more attention to the models on their infomercials and it doesn't match them either. I've gone back to using Estee Lauder Double Wear makeup and concealer - stays on and looks good all day (and minimizes fine lines!), and there's no horrible mess all over the bathroom when you use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 10:28:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 22, 2010 10:29:01 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 4:06:21 AM PST
its good for oily skin ..dry not so much ..even with oily skin I add a moisturizer like burts bees allow it to absorb then apply foundation/ Covers very well ..you have to play with make up to make it work for your needs ..its not just going to photoshop your face for you.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 11:12:34 AM PDT
Jeannie Cole says:
I agree with you 100%. Though it is light on the face and evens the skin tone, it accentuates lines. I used BE for many years and never completely liked it. I bought into it being good for your skin and you can sleep with it etc. Well, I did actually sleep with it on one night and my skin broke out. My skin hasn't broken out since I was 13. I have very youthful skin for someone in their late 40's but it does settle in the few fine lines that I have. I have since changed all of my cosmetics over to Tarte and Oxygenetix. Oxygenetix is a "BREATHABLE" foundation, eliminates inflammation and is used by plastic surgeons for its healing properties). These products work well for my sensitive skin and give me a flawless and natural look. After a few years, BE made my face itch!! The health of my skin has never been better since changing over to these other products. As I said, I used BE for years, know how to apply it, use nothing but top of the line products on my face and body. If it works for others than good for you but there are many of us who just don't like it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›