1.0 out of 5 stars Video of the USB Flaw on Both Mac AND Acer Laptops, January 10, 2010
This review is from: Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Brushed Metal, 8 GB, 2 Hours (2nd Generation) (Camera)
Length:: 1:55 Mins

We bought this camera because we lost our first generation Flip MinoHD, which we loved. I'm sad to report that the USB issues mentioned by countless others are real, and I decided it was worth posting a video that clearly shows the extent of the issue so as to help convince others not to waste their money. This simply doesn't work with Macs, and as you can see from this video it also doesn't work with an Acer Aspire One netbook (~20% of all netbooks currently being shipped). This is a fundamental flaw with the product and is completely inexcusable.

UPDATE 4/19/2010
It seems likely that Cisco has attempted to resolve this issue in the lots now leaving their manufacturing facility. Indeed, there was for a few days a carefully worded "we know this is an issue, but don't want to get in too much trouble, so we'll only partially acknowledge the problem" notice at the top of this page informing consumers of USB connectivity problems "in a small percentage of cases." That Amazon.com has removed this notice is, I suppose, heartening and suggests that it may have been corrected. That being said, there still appears to be a number of recent reviews complaining of USB connectivity issues. These may be from older lots/the sale of existing inventory, or items that are acquired from sellers other than Amazon.com. It seems there is a good chance that you will NOT have USB connectivity issues if you are receiving a recently-manufactured device. However, if you get one that was made prior to the correction of this issue, know that you may have connectivity problem. You might also want to inquire as to whether or not you would be required to pay return shipping charges if it doesn't connect. I may even go out and buy another one of these devices to see if the issue has, in fact, been resolved. If I do this, I'll post an updated video.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2010 6:13:33 PM PST
Kenneth Chen says:
Did you try using a USB extension cable?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2010 11:30:32 PM PST
L. Winik says:
I believe the point this reviewer makes is that it should be compatible out of the box with any usb port. It's a fairly universal standard and the fact that flip has made such a fatal design flaw will prevent me from buying their latest product. If anything perhaps flip should send their customers an extension cable to help solve this oversight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2010 12:15:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2010 12:22:54 PM PST
I second the reviewers comments. This is a fatal flaw. It actually will not fit in the USB port! I thought I was going nuts. I tested on 3 laptops and 1 PC. Really strange. I bought mine at Costco and am here reading the reviews on Amazon because I wanted to confirm whether or not I was going crazy. Seriously, wouldn't fitting a USB port be the simplest part of designing this thing? On top of that, according to these reviews this has been a known issue for a long time. Why has Flip not fixed this?

Using a USB extension is a good suggestion but... I don't think alot of people re going to want to carry around an extra cable. I don't. I agree with the reviewer.

I am returning mine also.

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 9:51:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2010 9:52:03 AM PST
I tried mine in my new MacBook Pro (2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo) and it fit fine... Kind of a janky seal, I agree, but it fit.

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 7:13:01 PM PST
i thank you for posting your video. for sure i won't get one now

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 2:31:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2010 2:32:25 PM PST
jda says:
... same problem with usb and support in germany.
extension cable works, but flip seems unwilling to send one ... the whole "chat" in german at:
www.auhage.com/flip

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 9:58:47 PM PST
Sam V says:
It's generally a bad idea to have a peripheral that can get knocked around sticking directly into a port on a motherboard without something flexible in between. Get a small usb extension cable and you're fine and the added flexibility will lessen the chances of breaking either the peripheral or your mb.

Posted on Mar 6, 2010 8:21:15 AM PST
Planoman says:
I did not buy and received this as a gift. After reading reviews I just looked in my desk drawer pulled out an old usb extension cable (I only have tons of them) and the flip fit fine. I never even tried to connect directly to the computer(s). I would not avoid getting this becaue of this issue. We have a Canon Vixia HF20, which is a fine HD camcorder but this is so easy. It also hooks directly to the TV to view videos. This camera has too many pluses to let this be a game changer, especially when a cable that you proabably got free is an easy fix.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2010 8:56:45 AM PST
Matt Baker says:
Yes, an extension cable addresses the problem, that is so long as it will fit in the extension cable. However, if it doesn't fit in my computer, maybe it won't fit in my extension cable either. Regardless, I don't think customers should have to take that chance on such a basic detail. It should work, period. Note that not everybody is receiving this $200 item as a gift and I suspect that plays a role in how accepting you are of its this major faux pas. Nonetheless, I personally would not be interested in having to make sure I have an extension cable with me in order to be able to plug this thing into a computer. This is the only product I have EVER come across that has this problem. I don't want an easy fix for a brand new product. The USB should fit into a computer.

Posted on Mar 13, 2010 6:33:07 AM PST
I'm confused here. I just got a Flip Mino HD (2nd gen) and it fits perfectly in my Macbook Pro (unibody design) and in my older Macbook Pro. It requires no shoving. It slides right in with a little resistance like all USB devices should have.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›