1.0 out of 5 stars Quoth the raven nevermore: If it's going in this direction thank you for ending it!, August 6, 2012
This review is from: Nevermore: The Final Maximum Ride Adventure (Kindle Edition)
Well folks, I had high hopes for this book. While I admit that they may have been unfounded since the series was starting to go down hill, I never expected it to be this bad. This is chock full of SPOILERS so if you want to waste your time or decide for yourself stop after this sentence and borrow it from a friend or the library.

It seems James has run out of new ideas, and the few smidgens that is new material is not unexpected, they are things that I at least contemplated as soon as he brings up the whole "Fang must die!" and how fang could be the next step in human evolution. Yep the immortality gene. While that aspect is slightly more thought through than the rest, which seems to be a bunch of previously done ideas at a third the quality, it still doesn't make the cut for me.
Now let's look at all the main plot sections
1) They go to school... yeah how ORIGINAL that is.... yet again a teacher with evil affliliation, Nudge getting all caught up in a 'normal' life (she's 12 and starts dating an almost 16 year old and gets dumped, big whoop), Dylan gets fan girled over, and they dissect a chicken.
2) ARI COMES BACK. Again. and tries to kill fang. again. and is in cahoots with the female portion (save maya who he kills) of Fangs gang. I don't think we need any more words on ari, and I'll only vaguely reference his new speech pattern (hey, sis)
3) Group wanting to kill off the humans. again. This time they want to get rid of 99% though... Who somehow have people everywhere, who conviently happen to pass by fang minutes after he gets out of the desert... James, are you paranoid or just to done with this to be at least mildly realistic.
4) Jeb is on the evil side but thats okay because he's only doing it to bring his dead mutant son back to life right? And after he tries to kill them all again and gets injured in the process (no duh) Max says how they have to help him. oh and Dr.Martinez is helping torture angel but magically becomes "unbrainwashed" as soon as Max and co rescue Angel, and has somehow managed to organize a practical utopia for them to live in as the world ends
5) Max has boy drama. Which isn't actually "solved". Basically she makes out with both of them and tells them how much she needs them while they drool over her like love sick puppies that then glare at each other when she is gone. Oh and if you havent already realize, Fang came crawling back after Ari killed his precious Maya (they exchanged words of love as she died in his arms and he then goes after another girl. pathetic.)

Then when it seems that the world is completely over and nothing can be done, the world is even more over because a huge meteor goes and destroys their utopia. Yeah. And then whole dramatic death scene, about how she doesn't regret it and it's all fine (ugh) and then wakes up alive. ANd then practically mid idea the series ends, only saying that Angel, Max, FANG AND DYLAN are survivors of the whole thing.

Dear James Patterson,
I loved your book series Maximum Ride and I would like you to know that I do not acknowledge this alleged finale book's existence. Write a proper ending and satisfy the people. For the vast majority, this book is substandard. We will not hold this against you if you write a proper book ( I don't even care if it's a whole drama about who Max picks, as long as you sway me to your point of view for the guy for her). Your efforts are appreciated, and I feel like a jerk writing this since I have never even finished writing one book and this is one book out of so many, and the only I am truly disappointed in. But if you do have the spare time, write a new ending. This one just didn't seem to have it's own plot or shine. Not because it wasn't a happy ending though, I'm okay with unhappy endings, but they require the highest standard of writing. Not many people can pull off the unhappy ending, so I sympathise. I may revise this once I cool off, and read it again (only for the purpose of reevaluating), but for now these are my feelings.
Your faithful reader,
The Bluejay

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2012 11:05:06 AM PDT
Telula says:
Don't feel bad about his high number of books against your not published one, because he doesn't actually write about 95% of his books anymore. That's why he can get this many out a year, and that's why they're all really bad, compared to his earlier ones where he was actually writing them and not using ghost writers. Cheater.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 10:27:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2012 10:28:19 PM PDT
EGieseke says:
Wait. People actually do that? I was wondering how he pumps so many freaking books out!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 2:25:11 PM PDT
TD says:
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? He has ghost writers? NOOO! Well, I guess that is why this one has such low ratings, so low that I am not going to bother to buy it, but rent it from the book store. Sad, really. Great authors who sell-out.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 1:32:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012 1:33:18 AM PDT
LoVe BoOks says:
Though I have no doubt that he uses ghost writers, I do think he actually wrote this one. Angel sounded like it was written by a fifteen-year old fangirl, Nevermore did let you see pieces of Patterson's old writing style. Nevertheless, he still sold out. It was very clear in this book that he didn't really want to come up with a proper ending but was just trying to put any kind of ending to a series that he only intended to be 3 books long and afterwards only used as a money-making cash cow.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 3:14:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 3:15:41 PM PDT
Moon says:
I mostly agree with what you said. I had was so upset when I finished and decided on a review but given how upset I was about EVERYTHING to do with Nevermore I decided against it.

Spoiler!
I think the part that made me go "Are you serious?!" Was Angel and the "voice" thing. I shook my head and facepalmed a lot. Made no sense to me, but alas...

Not the ending needed to give closure to this series for me.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 10:38:03 AM PDT
I AGREE COMPLETELY! That was a big disappointment and it was a waste of money!

BTW, I'm so appalled to learn about the Ghost Writing! ARGH!!!!

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 2:55:06 PM PDT
MaximumX says:
Actually, the rest of the Flock did survive, in the underground base. I know this because Angel was able to communicate telepathically with Dr. Martinez, who was in the same cave.
Other than that, you are completely correct. The series ended in a huge disappointment. I am ashamed that I looked forward to it and was waiting at my door all day for the book to arrive. Part of me wishes that Patterson would continue the series, (using himself as an author), but starting at the end of book 3. Book 4 really left few plot options to build off, and the series failed to grow. A plot was finally introduced in Angel, but it was never solved in Nevermore. Instead, a giant meteor comes and destroys everything, making Max her own perfect world.
Sigh. Patterson books just aren't what they used to be.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:23:52 PM PDT
Lychee Shore says:
I completely agree with this review. Nevermore was a HUGE letdown, and the only reason to give it stars is fr a great beginning of a series. I guess we shoud have saw it coming, huh? The best books are the first few.
But was I the only one who wondered about(spoiler!) what happened to the rest of Fang's "flock" after he left them stranded in the desert? He thought it was safer for them, but 1) they were never mentioned again and 2) they're in the middle of a freaking DESERT! Where would they get food/water, and how would they get out? They don't exactly have wings . . .

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 8:05:35 PM PST
Yes, I too loved the book seiries. As in I hated reading before Maximum Ride, me and my friend waited for so long for this book to come out and then did a happy dance when Mya died. Then when I finished the book I actually advised my other friend NOT to even read Nevermore,simpaly because it RUINED the rest of the ENTIER seiries!

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 2:26:16 PM PST
Any recommendations on a series our kids would like, now that MR is over?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (877 customer reviews)

$7.99