5.0 out of 5 stars Great for camping and around the house, November 17, 2008
This review is from: Victorinox Champion Plus Knife (Sports)
[Update: since this initial writing, I did go back and purchase another as a gift for one of my sons. I'm not sure which of us likes this knife more.]

Let me start by admitting that I purchased this one on a whim. I found it as a Gold Box deal for under $20. I couldn't pass it up and thought I would use it as a gift for one of my elder sons. After it arrived and I took some time to look it over, it found its way to my pocket where you can find it most days.

Others have written comparisons to other models, and have highlighted specific tools. I'll try to add a few things that helped make this one of my favorite knives.

- Right off the bat, there's no beating the style of can-opener that you'll find on this and every other Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. I've used both types (on Wegner and Victorinox models) and this one wins, hands down.

- I wear eyeglasses, and the mini screwdriver that is nested in the corkscrew is perfect for tightening up the screws on my glasses. You can either use it separately, in your fingers, or you can flip it over and thread the blunt (handle) end back into the corkscrew, allowing you to use the full knife as a handle. That simply makes it easier to use.

- I don't use the hook for carrying tied packages, but find it invaluable for removing hot pots from over a fire. No more burnt fingers from the water pot for me!

- I like having both the larger and smaller cutting blades, especially for whittling.

- The scissors are larger than those on the Classic (I have one on my key ring), so I find them easier to use, especially for cutting fabric or larger sections of paper (like coupons from the in-store flier).

- The number of screwdriver tips makes this knife a wonderful tool to have on-hand for quick tinkering. The phillips head is suprisingly versatile. I was able to use it on extremely small wood screws, and it works very well on computer case and mounting screws (I'm a techie by trade, and love having this one with me at the office).

- The one feature I thought I would never use, the ballpoint pen, actually came in quite useful a few days after pocketing this knife. I was at a product launch meeting and I didn't have a pen (I had counted on the vendor giving away logo pens, but they ran out). The pen nests into the same groove as the hook (albeit at the opposite end), making for a suprisingly comfortable and easy-to-use writing instrument.

- Finally, since I've been wilderness camping for more than 25 years, I like having the magnifying glass as a good weather fire-starter.

This is the knife that sits in my pocket most days of the week. I also take it on all of my weekend camping trips and hikes. I do like some other knives for other occasions (I prefer, for example, my Centurian {also by Victorinox} when I'm canoeing in the BWCA since I can use the longer {4"} blade to fillet fish and since I like the thinner profile stuffed into my pocket while sitting in the canoe). This is a fantastic, all-around knife. You can't go wrong for the price (even if $60). It's well-worth it and bound to become a favorite.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2010 1:47:22 PM PST
Great review. Specifics made it worth reading.

Ken in Michigan

btw I ordered two of this model to give as Christmas gifts. Should have bought a 3rd -- for myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 1:55:22 PM PST
Thanks for your comments. I've always felt that reviews with a bit of substance are more valuable than just general first impressions. I trust those you ordered will make a couple of people pretty happy on Christmas morning (and in the months and years to follow).

By the way, it's not too late to order that third one for you! I still have mine, sitting in my right front pocket. Honestly, I'm loathe to fly because I'd need to part with my favorite pocket tool.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (776 customer reviews)

$100.00 $45.63