5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific tablet (but wish the HDMI worked), November 17, 2012
This review is from: AGPtek® 7-Inch Android 4.0 Touchscreen Tablet PC Black (512 MB DDR3, 8GB NAND FLASH, HDMI 1080P 2160P, Support Skype Video Calling & Netflix Movies) (Personal Computers)
I first bought another version of this tablet. I really liked it, but had to return it because it had some problems with the screen flashing in a weird way/freezing (a couple times only), but more importantly the HDMI feature that was one of my requirements did not work. (see my detailed review at that page). I believe the HDMI port was defective which is why the HDMI option didn't even show up in the Settings menu. On getting a replacement, I decided to buy this unit instead because for a few dollars LESS it has 8gb internal space (instead of 4gb) and this processor is faster (the A10 instead of A9).

Unfortunately, this tablet has the same problem with the HDMI port not working. So, I will return this one & try for the same unit again. Although I don't like the hassle, I understand that computer-type gadgets always have some defective units (have a look at the dozens of 1 & 2 star reviews of the Samsung Galaxy & other more costly tablets from customers unhappy with their defective units).

I still love this tablet! And once I can get one with no problems ie the HDMI port working, I will be very pleased. In the meantime, my mom is getting one & I will also buy one for my youngest child. Two of my friends want to order this tablet, as well, after seeing mine.

This tablet picked up my wi-fi quickly & easily. It did lose the connection once & couldn't pick up any wireless signals for a few minutes; I just turned the wi-fi off & on again and it picked it up the signal again just fine.

What has worked on this tablet:
* Netflix audio & video is great, though the Netflix app has some problems (I believe the problems are unrelated to the tablet); ** EDIT: Per advice of another reviewer, works best if you clear the data (under manage apps) each time.
* Skype video chat;
* jewel type games;
* Kindle ebook reader & Overdrive media;
* Chrome browser & Opera mini browser;
* MP4 & Quicktime videos - homemade videos transferred from my computer played without probs & looked sharp;
* JPG pics transferred over also looked very nice on the tablet screen;

This tablet is so responsive & the screen looks sharp & beautiful. Audio is very good, better than some of the HP laptops I've had in the past.

Even though I have to return it again to try to get one with an HDMI port that works, it is still absolutely worth every penny (especially at this reasonable price!).

Tip: Sometimes the price decrease on this listing & you pay for shipping , but total price is the same (sometimes changes throughout same day). Try to buy it with the free prime / super saver shipping so you get full refund if need to return it (not sure if they refund shipping cost?)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 2:44:30 PM PST
shomizu9 says:
Thanks for posting your experience! I just received this tablet as well, and wanted to comment on some things you stated (not being snide!)

- Although the description of the tablet on Amazon lists the Allwinner A10 (which is a Cortex A8 ARM cpu, I know all this A-crap gets confusing - A10 is just Allwinner's model designation for their cpu, not the type of ARM chip that is actually used), the one I received actually has the VIA WM8850, which is a Cortex A9 based cpu. This is actually the same as one of the other AGPtek tablets for sale here on Amazon (same vendor, Brainydeal), that does list the VIA as its cpu. If you look at the pictures of each of these tablets, ours (this one) is clearly not the other one, either. So, same/similar guts, but definitely not the same tablets. The VIA WM8850 is somewhat better than the Allwinner A10, and is pretty good for a single core ARM.

- It came with 1GB of RAM as opposed to the 512mb advertised. Very cool

- I also can't speak to the HDMI, I don't have the type of HDMI cable they use for this tablet (a shame they didn't include one, even just a 3ft one). I've got one on order, which I'll keep even if I choose to send this tablet back. It uses the mini HDMI plug, rather than micro (more common on phones/tablets these days) or standard HDMI. A good pic for comparison (this tablet uses the one in the middle):

This tablet has surprised me, even if it has some quirks/missing options in the Jelly Bean settings - for 86 bucks, it's much more than I expected.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:16:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 2:30:45 AM PST
Serenity says:
Shomizu9 - thanks for clarifying re the A10. I don't know much about that; all I know is when I called Brainy Deal the rep told me the A10 (he specified Model #TP15) is their faster processor. This tablet is noticeably faster than the one I returned last week, though the other unit was quite fast (enough for me, anyway).

Q: The specs on this listing say it is multi-core - are you saying the WM8850-mid is single core? Hmm... I ordered this one bc they told me TP15 is the highest one and it was same price or cheaper that some of their other listings here

Q: How can you tell the amount of RAM? EDIT: Found it in Settings, Apps, Running - looked at bottom for RAM. Mine says 221 MB used, 611 MB free (or under ALL it's 293MB used, 731MB free). So my unit has 1GB RAM also. Nice. :)

re HDMI - I bought this adapter (HDMI to mini HDMI) since we already have a few regular HDMI cables: Aurum Cables Gold Plated HDMI to HDMI Mini Adapter ($1.35 + free standard shpg).

Q: Does your tablet show the HDMI option under Settings?

Another customer (on the other product page) had an HDMI option listed on their Settings menu.

Please let me know if you get your HDMI to work, and whether you have an HDMI on/off option on yours. Maybe the menu item would show up if I plugged a working HDMI cable into the tablet? I tried with the adapter, but it's possible that didn't work (I have nothing else to test the adapter on). Other than that, I'm thinking the HDMI port is defective which is why the tablet is not reading that it's there to put it on the menu.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 9:52:15 AM PST
I do not think you will ever get the HDMI to work. I have exchanged one (because of other problems) and neither the first one or the replacement ever worked with the HDMI. I believe the port is non-functional. When I contacted the seller to ask about whether there was a setting I had to change, they told me it was plug-and-play, and to try another cable. I did so, made no difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:27:34 PM PST
mmmm... Did you try the hdmi port with the AC power connected to the tablet (while charging)? HDMI signal usually needs some extra power supply, and maybe it is not enought only the battery power supply. Please, let us know if it works only in charging mode, I am interested in a tab with hdmi using in self power supply (just from battery) to watch streaming TV on my LCD easily with just one wire (hdmi).

Thanks,

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:49:52 PM PST
Serenity says:
Javier Ariza Ayuso: Both of the tablets I had (& have since returned) showed no indication of having an HDMI port. The port was there of course, but it did not even show up as an option under the Settings. I don't know if the ports were defective, or not properly connected, or what, but I tried everything & they did not work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 3:37:51 AM PST
Hdmi is a plug and play port, so it should be detected when a hdmi cable is connected and then automatically send the signal, without any extra setting, but maybe it need to be charging for an extra power.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›