5.0 out of 5 stars GoPole Reach vs POV Pole, November 16, 2013
This review is from: POV Pole 36" GoPro-Edition (Electronics)
I had originally purchased the GoPole Reach, returned it and bought this this POV pole. So I can give a comparison between the two. Here's a quick review of both:

GoPole reach: [...]
- Comparable in price $54.99 for GoPole vs $49.99 for POV pole
- 25% Heavier than the POV pole. 8 oz vs. 6.4 oz.
- Longer final compressed length, will not fit my back-pack. And my back-pack is already larger than most.
- On my unit, there was a problem with the 3rd section and the mid-section. When I twist to tighten the 3rd section, there is still a bit of slack left at the joint in the lateral direction. This makes the camera rattle a bit when you shake the pole, which is quite annoying. This seems to be a quality control issue. Hence the reason why I returned the unit.
- Wrist strap is attached to the rubber handle and feels cheap and flimsy.
+ The diameter of each of the telescoping tubes are significantly larger, which should make the pole more resistant to bending upon impact (ie. if you happen to fall on it)
+ 4" longer than POV pole (40" vs. 36") However, this does not affect me since I will probably never use it at full extension of 40"
= No need to fully extend each telescoping section in order to lock. So it can be locked at any length you want.

POV Pole 36" GoPro-Edition: [...]
+ $5 cheaper
+ light weight - 6.4 oz.
+ Very compact in the final compressed length. FIts any regular sized back-pack
+ Solid construction. Solid aluminum handle with aluminum tubes.
+ Solid wrist strap that attaches directly to an eyelid in the aluminum handle base.
- The diameter of the tubes are smaller, which may make it more prone to bending upon impact
- 4" shorter than GoPole
= No need to fully extend each telescoping section in order to lock. So it can be locked at any length you desire.

Conclusion:
I prefer the POV pole due to its lightness and overall build quality. Very portable in the compressed state.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2014 9:04:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2014 8:02:46 PM PST
I returned the POV because it stopped working my third time out. I got the GoPole and think it's much better. Here's why:

1. Weight--the extra 1.6 oz of the GoPole makes no practical or noticeable difference to me.

2. Length--the extra 4" of the GoPole doesn't stop me from putting this in a small backpack. With the zippers closed the GoPole is not going to fall out even though it sticks out a little. For the larger backpack that I take when I travel there's tons of room. So the difference of four inches between the closed 14" POV and the closed 18" GoPole is not a factor for making a buying decision.

3. Wrist strap--doesn't feel cheap and flimsy to me at all. To the contrary it's made out of durable material and has a nice cinch button for quick and easy size adjustment.

4. Tubes-The GoPole tubes are far superior. Not only are they larger and have a nicer finish, but unlike the POV, which has three tubes that pull out of the base, the GoPole has only two. I find my Hero 3 Silver is more stable on the GoPole at full length than the POV because the thicker tubes provide greater support.

5. Slack on 3rd section--not a problem on my unit.

Also the nut on the plastic head is securely attached on the GoPole. On the POV I received it was loose and came off, so I had to be careful not to lose it.

Conclusion: I prefer the GoPole, but I know everyone's preferences are different.

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 8:48:15 PM PDT
Gio says:
I've broke 2 GoPole's. Poor quality. Where the sections connect to extend the pole it comes apart super easy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (155 customer reviews)

$49.99 $37.99