I returned the POV because it stopped working my third time out. I got the GoPole and think it's much better. Here's why:
1. Weight--the extra 1.6 oz of the GoPole makes no practical or noticeable difference to me.
2. Length--the extra 4" of the GoPole doesn't stop me from putting this in a small backpack. With the zippers closed the GoPole is not going to fall out even though it sticks out a little. For the larger backpack that I take when I travel there's tons of room. So the difference of four inches between the closed 14" POV and the closed 18" GoPole is not a factor for making a buying decision.
3. Wrist strap--doesn't feel cheap and flimsy to me at all. To the contrary it's made out of durable material and has a nice cinch button for quick and easy size adjustment.
4. Tubes-The GoPole tubes are far superior. Not only are they larger and have a nicer finish, but unlike the POV, which has three tubes that pull out of the base, the GoPole has only two. I find my Hero 3 Silver is more stable on the GoPole at full length than the POV because the thicker tubes provide greater support.
5. Slack on 3rd section--not a problem on my unit.
Also the nut on the plastic head is securely attached on the GoPole. On the POV I received it was loose and came off, so I had to be careful not to lose it.
Conclusion: I prefer the GoPole, but I know everyone's preferences are different.