5.0 out of 5 stars I Would Feel Unprepared For My Day Without It!, May 13, 2007
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife (Sports)
For many years now, I have carried one of these small Swiss Army knives on each of my two key rings - one for work and one for home. Barely a day goes by when I do not take one of them out of my pocket to use once or twice - to quickly file down a broken nail, to tweeze out a small splinter, to cut open a small item with the scissor of something larger by cutting the wrapping tape with the knife blade - the toothpick is used daily! I cannot imagine being without one. Of course, I own larger and more multi-purpose knives, but when it comes to carrying something this handy on a key chain or ring, you just can't beat them!

There are two major (authorized) manufacturers of Swiss Army knives: Victorinox, the maker of this particular favorite of mine and Wenger, a reliable alternative brand that makes many similar and some even nearly identical models. I have used both over the years and have found there to be absolutely no appreciable differences in the quality, durability or pricing of the knives. With so many models to choose from, it probably makes sense to decide which features you need and then shop both brands for the best price you can find. But back to the knife at hand, the SA Classic SD Pocket Knife.

This is the one of the smallest knives in the Victorinox line. Measuring only about 2 1/4" long and about 1/4" wide, it adds little by way of heft to a key ring. It is a compact knife containing a total of 6 equally compact tools. This is not for the big things. This is a small knife with small tools to deal with small things. With expectations appropriately set, it is unsurpassed in it's usefulness as a basic daily tool.

The Tools

There are compartments on the outer casing of knife - each containing a small appliance. One is home to a small white toothpick that I have found to be entirely satisfactory - except that after a year or two of use, I seem to lose them. I think the molded shape wears a bit over time and repeated use and no longer holds itself snugly in the allotted compartment. They can be easily and inexpensively replaced though at any fully stocked retailer of the knives. On the opposite side of the knife is a compartment housing a micro-tweezer. Because it is so very small and light, it cannot be used as a regular tweezer, but only for light-duty needs. These include, I am pleased to report, removing small splinters and picking up objects too small for my increasingly clumsy fingers!

There are three tools that fold into the knife itself, one of which has two uses - actually providing a total of four useful mini-tools. These include 1) a flat spring loaded scissor, a regular blade and a nail file (which, as a guitar picker, I use almost daily) topped with the fourth tool, a screw driver head, small enough to be used for either flat screws or Phillips head screws - providing that they are small enough. Don't misunderstand - the smallness of the tools does not render them either token or useless, but their size is a factor in their usability in real day-to-day life.

Maintenance

This is nearly a non sequitor, but in the interests of completeness, I will briefly address it.

Years have gone by before anything beyond simple removal of dust and cleaning the instruments is required. One time, a blade seemed to be sticking just a tad and a quick and very short burst of WD40 took care of it - permanently. The knife is build to last until you decide you no longer want or need it.

Value

There are few things in life built for frequent use without planned obsolescence being figured into their design. This little pocket tool set is, happily, among them. For somewhere around $9., you can have something actually skillfully made that will serve you well and for a good long time. How many things can any of us really say that about?

I love mine and would feel not only unprepared, but somehow naked - or at least disabled - were I to leave home without one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2007 7:05:46 AM PDT
S. Olsen says:
This was a great review and very helpful. This is my first Swiss Army knife and I couldn't figure out where the tweezers and toothpick were housed. After reading the review, I figured it out. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 4:43:04 AM PST
I received this knife but cannot figure out how to open the compartments that contain the tooth pick and tweezers. Can anybody help and advise?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 8:22:37 AM PST
D. Reinstein says:
The slots for the toothpick and tweezer do not open. The tools simply slip in and out of them. A fingernail is handy to slide them out.
Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 12:12:21 AM PST
Thank you so much for telling me this. I finally discovered this accidentally as I was wiping the outside of the knife and the tweezer slid up as a result of my wiping. I feel so stupid but it would be nice if instructions were included. I had no way of knowing that the two tabs on one end of the knife just had to be slid up to get to the knife and tweezers. The description of the knife online said that these were contained inside the outer casing so I assumed that these casings had to be opened to get to these tools.
I appreciate it so much that you responded to my dilemma.
Many thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 12:18:21 AM PST
Correction: In my reply I mistakenly said that the tabs at the end of the knife should be slid up to get to the "knife and tweezers".
I meant to say "toothpick and tweezers".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 5:43:09 AM PST
D. Reinstein says:
You're welcome. I hope you find it as useful as I continue to!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:37:42 AM PST
nehinks says:
I just wanted to point out that while the rest of it is pretty much equivalent, the scissors on the Wenger version is FAR superior (speaking from personal experience with both). It cuts a lot better and lasts longer. They use a slight different mechanism to push the blades apart, and the Victorinox version loves to bend or break because its so thin. The Wenger version also has very slight serrations on the blade that make a surprising amount of difference on scissors that small.

Of course if you don't use scissors at all you probably couldnt tell the difference between the rest of the knife. Overall a great thing to have on your keychain for everyday carrying (just remember to take it off when you're flying - it's really annoying to get it confiscated!).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:48:41 AM PST
Point well taken!

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 12:43:05 PM PDT
I also feel this is almost an indispensable item in my pocket every day. I recently had one confiscated by TSA (I usually remember to slip it in my checked luggage) and I have missed it almost daily ever since! I probably use the scissors as much or more than the knife blade and it is surprisingly sturdy for it's size and extremely sharp - great for slicing through plastic wrap and opening boxes from Amazon :) But make no mistake, all the tools are useful and you will be glad you had all of them at one point or another if you carry this baby religiously like I do. Can't wait to get a new one - maybe go with something besides the traditional red this time :)

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 9:06:48 AM PDT
I discovered a new use for the tweezers the other day. Tick removal. yuck, but it worked perfectly, pulled the tick out and then the little bugger crawled up the closed end of the tweezers aaaaand squish. I have a lot of pocket knives but this is the one that goes with me daily. I never leave home without it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (2,328 customer reviews)
 (1,897)