3.0 out of 5 stars Best book of the series - Nora just needs some character growth, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Silence (The Hush, Hush Saga) (Hardcover)
Silence thrilling, action packed, pulse pounding novel. I think it's probably the best book of the series thus far. If I didn't want to smack Nora every other chapter I'd have given this a 4-5 star rating. Sadly I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a huge Nora fan, and unfortunately for me likeable characters are key for my enjoyment of a series, so take my rating on this book with that in mind.

At first I thought my dislike of our gal, Nora, I may have forgiveness issues after all the silly, childish games she played to get under Patch's skin in Cresendo, but now I think it's more than that.

Nora is spunky, sassy, and pushy to the point of being belligerent. She has a temper and regularly explodes and spews bitter vitriol filled words at people she cares for. I think it would be very hard to be her friend or boyfriend.

Here's the real kicker for me - Nora is also weak. She's the kind of girl that needs a man to save her. Now I like a good "white knight rides to the rescue" moment as much as any girl, but Nora pushes the bounds of patience. She literally can't do anything right. I noticed it finally in this book - anything Nora sets out to do she messes up, gets herself in a bind, and needs someone to come save her. And she sets out to do a LOT of dangerous things. Basically any time you see Nora doing detective or spy work, or trying to help anyone - just watch - she'll do some hair brained thing and get herself caught. Every time. Just once I want to see her do something truly heroic, and bad ass, and SMART, and succeed at it. Just once! Le Sigh. I don't feel her character has grown throughout the series - she's no smarter, savvier, more cautious or bad ass than she was in the beginning. A little growth would be nice - and everything seems to be set up for it thanks to the events of Silence, so I'll hold out hope for the last book. Bad ass Nora cometh! (I hope!)

My Nora issues aside, Silence is a very engaging book. Becca Fitzpatrick knows how to write action. Like every book before, Silence is a page turner with nonstop action. From this perspective, it is probably the best book of the series. I loved the ending. It promises VERY interesting things to come.

The narrative is great, every scene is painted in vivid detail, transporting us as her readers into each moment alongside Nora.

Scott returns - and he's really grown a lot as a character - he's practically yummie! I may even be sensing a tiny bit of love triangle action brewing! Hrrm.

Speaking of love - The romance is as steaming. The whole amnesia thing allows us to fall in love with Patch all over again. I love love LOVE Patch. He's every bit as bad ass and awesome in this book as in the others - maybe even more so. Now if Ms. Fitzpatrick could just beef up Nora give her some common sense and strength to match her courage we'd have a series I could really fall in love with!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2011 2:48:51 PM PDT
kiki says:
I completely agree. I definitely felt that Nora's character left much to be desired. Her character definitely kept me from enjoying the book as much as I could have.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 8:57:03 PM PDT
Deffinately agree with you on the Nora thing... especially wanting to smack her lol. And as for Patch, why can't there be a guy just like him? D': sad face

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 6:10:18 AM PDT
Jill says:
I agree as well. I would have gave the book a five star if Nora wasent such an idiotic, Moron. Ugh, does the Author not realize her charactor is too much?. I think not. Well we can only hope the fourth one redeems her stupid behavior!!

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 1:41:33 PM PDT
Btnovice says:
Wow. I was going to write a review of Silence, but you pretty much said it all. Nora NEVER seems to learn from her mistakes, because she repeats them over and over and over again ad nauseam. Maybe she'll do something right in the next novel.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 9:18:32 AM PDT
Sarah's says:
I agree with everything you said. I would have loved this book if Nora over all character step up a bit. I probably should re-read the previous books, I know Patch loves her but I don't see why he does. Well, since she's a "full blood" Nephilim now I hope for great things in the next book.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 6:56:50 PM PST
C. Rolley says:
I read these kinds of books to see if they are "appropriate" for my niece (her mother isn't a reader) and I had the same issue with Nora. In the second book I had hoped she learned her lesson, but apparently not! I will admit that I liked her better than the lead chick in the Twilight books. Nora had, at least, the guts to do something about things she didn't like. But Nora was only slightly better BECAUSE she just seemed to end up the perpetual "damsel in distress". I don't think I'll bother reading this book. I've already determined my niece is too young for the first 2 books! :) Thanks for saving me the time!

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 1:39:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 5:55:21 AM PDT
Verbiphage says:
I agree with Mithrendiel concerning Nora--while reading all three books I keep thinking "Nora is a moron." Her mom is a dummy too. The messed up thing about her character development in Silence (or lack thereof) is that she can't remember all the dumb mistakes she made before, so she just repeats them AGAIN and AGAIN.
I also keep getting frustrated with Patch--he's such a jerk half the time. He might think he's helping Nora by staying away or whatever, but all it does is make her crazy and even more stupid--he should know this if he's so darn obsessed with her. I think I might have murdered him if it was me in Crescendo and he appeared to be dating my arch nemesis.
I do think that the end of Silence left us with potential for an interesting change in the story arc, as well as finally giving Nora some muscle to back up her bold (and stupid) moves. Please, please, please, Becca, let Patch and Nora actually work together and get to be together in the next installment!! This on-again off-again crap is killing me--literally, it is killing my desire to read the books; I've been pissed off for the last two books and I almost want to give it up. Nora becoming Nephil is about the only thing that has made me think I'll probably read it anyway. But I won't buy it!!!

Also, there are some details that I questioned. Like why don't half-Nephil kids have any powers, or at least some supernatural strength? If this were the case, Marcie should probably have a little something extra since she's full-Nephil (i.e. both her parents are actual first-generation Nephilim--that would make her 2nd generation). Even if she's "weak" because Nephil rarely have offspring together that live, she could at least have some mental 'powers.' As it is, it doesn't make sense to me.
And Nora was such an idiot that she really didn't mention to Patch that she found a fallen angel feather in the graveyard when they were discussing Rixon's and Dabria's feathers? Then, after Hank busts it out and tries to burn it, they don't even mention the damn thing. Like Patch wouldn't be at least a little pissed that Nora failed to mention it? I don't think so.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 1:22:21 PM PDT
ANGEL EYES says:
sorry guys, i disagree.
And for the book to grab readers attention & not be met with silence...
It needs to have conflict, which Nora is smack in the middle with, with all her struggles.
In this book she has lost her memory, from when she met Patch. This has resulted in alot of burst of emotions, otherwise she is smart & independent. And if Nora didnt find trouble, we wouldnt read the book & it would never go forward, enabling the reader with the knowledge of Why What's Happening? Where the book is leading & answering our questions.

If you guys want a bold, headstrong heroine who pursues the hero & doesnt take no for an answer & is the Knight - Then Read Vampire Diaries & discover Elena. She is so decisive & her results are so explosive, your head will be left spinning.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 1:29:50 PM PDT
ANGEL EYES says:
Hi Paranormal freak

Marcie is not a full nephil, because she is not a first generation, a child of a fallen & human. She is rather a first generation nep child & therefore like Nora a watered down version & has no powers.SPOILER:Thats why Nora had to swear an oath & have what i believe devil craft part of the process, so she can lead the Neph & be a immortal neph.
Atleast her & Patch will always have each other, he could have been human in this book but didnt ask, to stay with Nora forever but i know Becca knows what she is doing. Im sure finale will unravel all...
CANT WAIT!
As for feather mentioning, she did forget at one point but other than that it was done purposely be author so it CAN POSE A THREAT TO PATCH - conflict is the name of the game & if it annoyed u she is doing her job right.
Love the series & Patch

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 6:09:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 6:20:05 AM PDT
Verbiphage says:
Angel Eyes, thanks for the comments. Have some responses:
Nora and Marcie are NOT the same. Marcie's parents are BOTH Nephil--only Nora's Dad (also Marcie's dad) is Nephil. Now, does it not make sense that if first generation Nephilim (those with an angelic parent) can have such great power that it rivals that of angels, then their children should have something of that passed on? And for Marcie, who has two Nephil parents, shouldn't she have some power too?
Obviously Becca can write the rules however she likes, but it doesn't seem very logical to me. Are not angelic powers genetic?

Fully understand the need for conflict in a book--obviously it's necessary. However, making a character oblivious, reckless, and moronic does not make a good, exciting reading experience. As I mentioned, it pisses me off at the characters.
Nora and Patch could both act semi-reasonably and still experience obstacles that actually make sense and I'm sure the story would still be entertaining. As it's gone up to this point, the books have sort of just repeated the same situations/plot devices and simply changed the details.
Just my humble opinion.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (423 customer reviews)

$18.99 $15.22