Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love the Freestyle, April 7, 2008
This review is from: Medela Freestyle Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I previously used the Avent IS IQ duo and while the hospital grade pump was helpful in maintaining my supply I had a number of other complaints about it that left me very frustrated (you can see my review on this site for more details).

I purchased the Freestyle immediately after it came out and have really enjoyed using it. There are very few negatives.

* Small size- can even put it in my purse!
* Battery power works great. I only charge it once a week, and pump off battery at work for the entire week. It is also handy for travel- no need for a manual pump when this one is so small.
* Ready supply of accessories- we don't have a sink in our lactation room at work. It is quite easy to purchase additional parts (kits and horns) for this pump (compared to the Avent). I have 3 sets and wash them at night.
* The Medela Quick Clean Wipes are great- I keep some in my bag and have come in handy a couple of times when I have forgetten pump parts at home. Likewise the Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags are nice as well. I have used them in a pinch when I didn't have enough bottles. Medela says that they are not recommended for the Freestyle, I haven't tried them with the pump- just pour the milk in there.
* The hands free kit really works!!! I can't pump without it now. It really allows me to work on other things while I am pumping- reading, computer, surfing the net, etc.
* The pump is so small, portable and lightweight and the bag is really discreet. No one ever knows that I am carrying a breast pump.
* The envy of all the moms in the lactation room. Not that anyone looks at what any of us are doing, but everyone who has seen my pump (I often show it off before I pump) wants one.
* All the parts that come into contact with the milk as well as the bottles are BPA free. This is NOT the case with the Avent Isis IQ Duo

* The lining in the bag is a little flimsy- kind of like a lightweight silk. This make it hard to put the pump in the pump pocket- takes two hands. I usually just dump mine in any old place because of this.
* The bag is a little small. It is a tight fit with 3 sets of parts, and other accessories. Even if I only put one set of parts, I cannot fit the cooler, which becomes one more thing that I have to carry. Would be nice if I could at least clip the cooler to the handles of the bag.
* The pump isn't quite as strong as the Isis IQ Duo. My milk supply tends to drop off a little over the week, but it may partly be my fault due to getting lazy from time to time and only pumping twice. Don't get me wrong though, this is no wuss of a pump. On the highest setting you really feel the pull.
* I wish that the automatic setting would let you save just the suctions for the let down and the regular phase rather than also the time for the let down phase. I am not consistent in how long it takes for let down.
* I wish that I could control the length of the "suck" like I can with the ISIS- I like a slightly longer time than the Avent allows me.

However, all of the cons are really minor, and I wouldn't trade this pump for any other. Thanks Medela for making a product that really takes into account the needs of us working moms.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2008 9:50:20 AM PDT
Nicole says:
i found the bag to be large enough to fit the cooler, pump, accessory bag, Medela wipes, power adaptor, Coke bottle and snack. the bottom really expands, you just have to maneuver every thing in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 8:16:38 AM PST
L. Carlson says:
Maybe the trick is to put the cooler in first... I'll have to try that the next time around. I am done pumping for now- hurray!

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 11:35:12 AM PST
This was a great review for me because I purchased the Avent Isis Duo with my first child and am now expecting baby #3 and cannot find replacement parts for it. I wasn't going to purchase another pump as this is our last child and it just seems silly, but since I can't find the parts, I'm researching it. One of my issues has always been supply and wondering if the Medela pumps would be more efficient than the Avent (and maybe it's not a pumping issue at all) even though you mentioned how your supply drops off a little bit when using it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›