5.0 out of 5 stars Motorola SB6183 delivers 300 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. Definitely worth upgrading!, August 6, 2014
This review is from: ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - (SB6183) Retail Packaging - White (Personal Computers)
When Time Warner Cable upgraded their service in my area, my old DOCSIS 3.0 modem couldn't keep up. Before upgrading the modem, I was paying for 300 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up, but was getting less than half that in each direction. Once I upgraded to this SB6183 modem, I get a solid 300 Mbps down and 20 - 30 Mbps up. Verified both with the Network Monitor in Task Manager (30% of 1Gbps equals 300 Mbps during a download, and 2% equals 20 Mbps during an upload) and by using the Speed Test website. It is great.

It was super easy to set this up. I just unplugged my old modem, plugged this one in, and called TWC with the MAC address. It took 10 minutes total to be up and running.

I strongly recommend that you upgrade to this modem. It allows you to get the full speed that you are paying for from your internet provider. As long as you plan to use it for more than 2 years, it is definitely worth it to buy instead of rent.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2014 7:56:58 PM PDT
Where do you live they you get 3000 down and 20 up?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2014 1:01:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2014 1:32:06 AM PDT
It says Austin, TX next to his name so I assume that is where he is. I did a Google search and learned that Time Warner has just started to roll out 200 and 300 Mbps service in some parts of the country such as Austin, New York and Los Angeles starting in June or July 2014. I am in Columbus Ohio and 100 Mbps service is as fast as they currently offer. It sounds like my SB6141 that I bought on Amazon last December won't handle the 200 and 300 Mbps speeds. From what I understand the SB6183 is currently the only approved modem that can handle those speeds. TWC's rolling out 16x4 bonding for areas that can do 300 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up, which require a modem like the SB6183 that can do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2014 6:26:24 AM PDT
S. Power says:
Sorry about my slow response (sleeping). George is correct, I live in Austin, TX. Our old modem used to get us 50 down and 5 up, but when TWC upgraded our speed, we needed this modem to get us above 100 down and 10 up.

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 6:43:25 AM PDT
Charles T. says:
How did you get your SB6183 so fast,TWC?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2014 7:01:19 AM PDT
S. Power says:
Yes. Arris provided them to the cable companies before they started supplying them through their retail channels.

Posted on Aug 9, 2014 12:32:19 PM PDT
Time Warner Cable in northern Orange County and probably L.A. areas are also getting 300Mbps/20Mbps upgrade for free. I am still waiting patiently for the modem to arrive.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2014 12:36:16 PM PDT
S. Power says:
As long as your old modem is DOCSIS 3.0, you should be able to still get 100 down and 10 up while you wait for this to arrive. If you are impatient, you might want to swing by your cable company's storefront and see if they'll give you a modem while you wait for retail availability. (it worked for me)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2014 2:18:28 AM PDT
Yeah, I have TWC in the Los Angeles area and I have a SB6141 and that is "only" good for 108 MbPS down and about 10MbPS up. Phone support did mention that in addition to this Motorola SB6183 modem, I could also try the Arris DG1670A or the Arris TG1672G.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2014 3:17:17 AM PDT
S. Power says:
108 down and 10 or 11 up was what I was getting before upgrading too. That was with a SBG6580. I haven't looked into the DG1670A or the 1672G, but for a service that we pay so much each month for, it is worth it to use the correct modem, IMO.

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 3:19:01 AM PDT
S. Power says:
I'm posting this e-mail that someone sent me about this comment string and my response here, in case it might add to the group discussion. I gave the best answer that I could, but I'm sure that others' contributions will be more useful to him than my answer likely is.

-----Here was his question:
When you Purchased the "Motorola Sbg6183 " Did you also Have to Purchase a New Router ?

Also, was your old equipment a Combo of a router and Model ?

I currently Have a Combo Of Modem Router . I have the Motorola Sbg 6782Abc, So I'm Curious if you know if I were to disable the Modem Part on My Old equipment an Just use as a router, would it work On the Sbg6183 ?

-------Here was my answer:

I didn't need to get a new wireless router, because I was already using a separate one. My old modem, the 6580 had a built in combo wireless router, but we just used that for our guest network. When we upgraded to the 6183, we continued to use our Asus Wifi Router for our main network, and pulled out an old Linksys WRT54G to use for the guest network.

You might be able to do what you're saying, and use the 6782AC as a router, but I wouldn't. The wireless routers in the Arris/Motorola modems have never their strong point. If you are going to pay a lot of money on a top of the line modem, and even more to your cable company each month for service, I think that it would be penny-wise and pound foolish to skimp on your wireless router. I'd buy the best one that I could afford, as to not create a bottleneck in my system.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›