5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this razor!! Awesome!!, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco 1250X/46 Shaver 8100 (Health and Beauty)
This is an awesome razor! I haven't bought or used one in over ten years. I bought this to shave my head with. I've always used a blade, but could only do it every few days or so due to sensitive skin, nicks and cuts, etc. Saw an ad on You Tube with a guy using it with shaving cream and the light bulb went off! Now I can keep my head shaved all the time without the bleeding, scabs and irritation!

The whole thing all told cost $152 and some change, but it was the best $152 I've spent in many years. I've been shaving every day with no irritation or bleeding and it looks great!

Here are my pros and cons:

Pros - It's extremely quiet compared to the previous models I've owned...so quiet it was a little off-putting at first. It sounds like it's barely on. I don't have to press hard. You won't get a "smooth as a baby's ass" shave, but it'll be darned close. It takes very little effort or time and like I said, I can now do it daily. I originally planned to use shaving cream, but it does such a great job dry, I just use it that way and save on the clean up. So I can't comment on what it's like to use it wet. No more expensive blades...no more going from store to store because they're out of blades. No more styptik!! No more scabs after a few days. I'm very happy. It's also great at holding a charge.

Cons - Although it's an ingenious design, this razor seems awfully fragile. I'm sure if you accidentally drop it into the sink it'll break into a million pieces, forget about dropping it on the floor! I'm not crazy about the charge stand thingy, it seems awfully fragile and cheap...same thing for the cord. The plug that you plug into the stand seems like it can't stand too many plug ins-plug outs, so I just keep that part permanently plugged in. It comes with a little "travel" case that fits the razor ONLY. You have to find something else to put the accessories in.

All in all though, I'm very happy with the purchase. Now I don't have to look homeless and jobless 3 or 4 days out of the week.
I hope that someday one of their engineers decides to put a little strap on the razor that you can put around your wrist so that if the razor accidentally slips out of your hand, it'll just dangle from your wrist and not be a tragedy on your bathroom floor.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2013 1:51:16 AM PST
Thanks for a great review, it was very helpful! I'm also a dedicated head shaver who has grown tired of the cuts, irritation, and cost of blade shaving my head. I'm looking at this shaver, and just a bit worried about being able to shave the ol' dome. (I have a full head of hair and a very thick and dense beard.) If you ever get a chance, could you PLEASE offer a few tips/suggestions for head shaving with the 3d shaver? As far as technique, I mean? Do you prefer using it dry or wet more? Which way gives you the best results? And technique: do you use the Norelco on your head the same way as you do on your face? Do you move it across your skin with circular motions, straight strokes, something else, etc? And how much pressure do you apply against your skin, and how fast do you make the circles, how big are they, and how fast do you move the shaver across your skin? How does the closeness compare to the shave from a "blade" razor?

With all of your experience, and now that you've had the Norelco for over a year, what would you recommend to a new "electric shaver?? Would you recommend a Norelco, or a foil from Braun or Panasonic? (I'm looking at the Norelco 3d and the Panasonic ES-LV61)

How long does it take you to shave your face and head? Your face alone, on the alternate days?

It would be really awesome of you could possibly offer some tips and suggestions to a new fellow head shaver....

Thanks, a LOT!!!
Roy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 4:28:44 AM PST
As far as technique goes, I use whatever works: circular motions, straight back and forth, whatever. It all gets the job done. It takes no more than about 5 minutes to shave my face, but it probably takes me about 30-40 minutes to shave my head. I still have never tried to use it wet because it seems like such a big bother with the shaving cream and the cleaning and drying of the shaver, etc., and it works so well dry and it's quick. I'm actually writing this as I'm sitting at my desk at the office where I just finished shaving my head. That's another convenient thing: if I'm running late or if I'm extremely early and no one's here, I can grab a quick shave in the office bathroom or I can sit at my desk and shave my head with no bother (don't need a mirror...just feel your way around).

A year later it's still going strong, still takes and holds a charge as well as it did when it was brand new. I did notice one thing that other reviewers have said -- the blades will get duller as time goes by. The blades got noticeably duller at precisely the one month mark and they pretty much leveled off at that point. I'm still using the same blades as I had when I bought it, but they say you're supposed to change them after a year, so it's time for me to get new ones.

I haven't tried a Braun since I was much younger and I wasn't real impressed back then, so I can't really recommend it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Norelco.

Happy shaving!