4.0 out of 5 stars Great Scale - Simple and Functional, April 23, 2009
This review is from: EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale w/ Extra Large LCD and 11 Lb. Capacity
Item Reviewed: EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale w/ Extra Large LCD and 11 Lb. Capacity.

EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, White

I am no scale expert, but EatSmart has offered me a free book if I write a review of their scale, and this has prompted my review. I have only been using the scale for two weeks, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. My only nitpicks at this point are that the "white" color has a pinkish tone and that the buttons aren't perfectly even. Aside from these minor cosmetic issues, the scale is exactly what I expected: a functional, easy-to-use, accurate, inexpensive ($25), small, lightweight, plastic scale.

When making my scale purchase, I also considered buying the Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale, Chrome. The only advantage that the Escali Scale has over the EatSmart Precision Pro Scale is that the Escali Scale has buttons that prevent food from getting into the cracks. In contrast, when using the EatSmart Scale, you have to be careful not to drop food in between the two buttons. For this reason, I put my scale in a plastic Ziploc bag (gallon size) to protect it from drippings and droppings - this keeps it clean, and it still works great! In all other respects (except for the few noted below), the two scales seem to be very similar according to the product descriptions.

In the end I decided to purchase the EatSmart Scale over the Escali Scale because I preferred the EatSmart unit options. The EatSmart Scale allows you to switch back and fourth between four different unit modes: 0000 grams, 000.00 ounces, 00.000 pounds, and 00.000 kilograms (resolution: .05 ounces/1 gram). This requires pushing the right button once for each mode (for example, start on grams, then push once to get to ounces, then again to get to pounds, then a third time for kilograms). The EatSmart scale will remember the last unit-mode you chose, so you don't have to readjust every time. If you always use pounds, just leave it on pounds. When you return the next day and turn on your scale, it will still be on pounds.

In contrast, The Escali Scale only offers three unit options: 0000 grams, 000.00 ounces, and [00 lbs + 00.0 ounces]. I prefer the EatSmart Scale because it provides pounds with decimals (00.000 lbs) - for me this is easier to deal with than [00 lbs + 00.0 ounces]. I frequently measure out meats, which are labeled in pounds with decimals (00.000 lbs) at most grocery stores. If I buy a pound of hamburger and want to divide it into three 1/3-pound portions (0.33 lbs), the EatSmart Scale makes it easy. I just measure out the 0.33 lb portions right there on the scale. With the Escali Scale, I would have to do some conversions to measure out my portions, because the Escali Scale will not measure out pounds in decimals. In some cases these conversions can be difficult without a calculator. The conversion required in this example would be:

(0.33 lbs/portion) * (16 ounces/lb) = 5.333 ounces/portion ---> Possible to do without a calculator, but not ideal.

Another EatSmart feature that I have found convenient is that you do not have to use the tare button. Simply place your empty bowl or plate on the scale BEFORE turning it on, then push the left button once to turn it on. It turns on very quickly and is zeroed-out upon starting up. Then you can add your ingredients to the plate without having to wait for the scale to tare! If you would rather use the tare button, that is easy as well. Simply push the left button to turn on the scale, then place your empty plate on the scale, push the left button a second time to "tare" the scale, wait for the scale to zero out, and then add your food items that you want to measure.

With its three-minute automatic shut-off feature, the scale gives you plenty of time to make your measurement before turning off. I haven't had it shut off on me yet in the middle of a measurement. It also allows you to shut it off manually by pushing the button on the left twice (you have to wait for it to zero out to 00.000 before pushing it the second time - if it is at 00.003 when you go to push it the second time, it will just tare again to 00.000). The scale also seems to give its readings rather quickly - so no problems there.

IN SUMMARY: The EatSmart Scale has three battery-conscious features: generous three-minute automatic shut-off, option to turn off manually, and ability to tare without actually spending time taring! It also uses standard AAA batteries which are easily replaceable. It offers four convenient unit modes: 0000 grams, 000.00 ounces, 00.000 pounds, and 00.000 kilograms. Overall a simple and functional scale without any bugs. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase - I would buy it again!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 14, 2009 9:43:14 PM PDT
Asia Connor says:
Thank you so much for your thorough evaluation of this product, i am now even more confident in my purchase!

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 12:03:45 PM PDT
Brenda S. says:
Asia: You're welcome! I hope the scale works as well for you as it has for me.

FYI, it is now four months later and my positive review still holds true. I have used the scale quite a bit, and it's still going strong with the original batteries.

Posted on Oct 22, 2009 8:51:24 AM PDT
C. Harper says:
Thanks so much for your very detailed review. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate the suggestion of putting it in a plastic bag. My scale has flour in the display making it very hard to read and may be what has caused it to quit on me now - though it is about 7 years old.

Posted on May 6, 2010 2:41:24 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Brenda, thanks so so so much for your description of the precision with which the scale reads out. This was the one feature I felt compelled to know about that wasn't described in the amazon item description. Also thankful for your suggestion to cover the buttons so food, dust and drippings don't limit the life of the product. Planning to purchase today! :)

Posted on May 21, 2010 8:42:09 AM PDT
They should give you 3 books for such a well thought out and wonderful review. I think this may be the scale for me after all.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 2:30:54 PM PDT
This was a VERY thorough evaluation/comparison, however, the fact "that you have to be careful not to drop food in between the two buttons - and put the scale in a plastic Ziploc bag to protect it from drippings and droppings" seems ridiculous to me? This is of course a FANTASTIC SUGGESTION from Brenda S., (so nothing against that VALUABLE piece of advice!) HOWEVER, if I buy what claims to be a GOOD product, I don't want want to have to try to "protect it" throughout it's lifetime of use by unconventionally wrapping it, covering it or sealing it because it was poorly designed? ESPECIALLY something I will be using several times a day and plan to leave on the counter.

On a larger scale that would be like using a plastic couch cover; as was popular in the 60's and 70's, to keep it from getting dirty. Imagine if we had to sheath all of our appliances in the kitchen like that, or even just 2 or 3 pieces, because of a design flaw? What an ugly sight that would be!

I don't know about everyone else, but I prefer my countertop appliances to look sleek, low profile and I certainly shouldn't have to modify it regularly because it wasn't well thought out in production.

Brenda S., thank you again for the STELLAR evaluation! It was SO informative, and although I will not be buying this particular scale, it has given me some valuable insights as to what I should be looking for in a food scale!

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 12:03:34 PM PDT
Book Lover says:
I dislike the practice of vendors soliciting reviews for their products, and even worse, offering products for submitting them. This practice makes the reviewing process unreliable and is dishonest on the part of the vendors who do this. As a frequent purchaser from Amazon, honest, unsolicited reviews are useful to both the buyer and the vendor. They helps the buyer make a selection that best suits their needs and alerts the vendors of problems and/or features that customers find desirable. Purchasing reviews undermines that process. I either do not respond to such solicitations or may give a negative review for their doing so.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 4:34:16 PM PDT
southernarc says:
"I put my scale in a plastic Ziploc bag (gallon size) to protect it from drippings and droppings - this keeps it clean, and it still works great!"

Great advice! And when my new scale arrived I did something similar. I taped 2 clear pieces of plastic over the readout and the two buttons. It's the clear plastic that comes whenever you buy some electronics, etc. It's a bit more permanent and looks great. But I wouldn't have thought of protecting the scale like this unless you had mentioned it.

Thanks for a great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 8:11:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 8:30:46 PM PST
Semour Butts says:
I agree Book Lover. I can see right through this kind of gimic marketing. 2700 almost 100% five star reviews, many very in depth for an $25.00 kitchen scale. Look at the amount of reviews Eat Smart has on all their products, C'mon people! Go to "you tube" and punch up "eat smart". Then you decide for yourself

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:14:31 PM PST
JollyToo says:
I read your comment prior to purchasing my scale, and now that I've used it for a couple of months I want to emphasize that this scale needs no protection whatsoever to keep food from accumulating between the buttons. Not only are they well-designed and placed away from the weighing platform but also the tare function allows food to be easily weighed in a container. Unless you plan to throw loose flour, sugar, ground spices, raw meat or anything of that nature directly onto the platform (and frankly I cannot imagine the rationale for doing something like that) or unless you are a person whose hands are perpetually dirty while cooking - then you will have no worries whatsoever if you use the scale without encasing it in plastic. Something like hard cheese can be placed directly onto the platform because the finish allows the entire mechanism to be easily cleaned. I imagine there may be messier cooks than I who will want to guard against their own personal habits but that has nothing to do with the scale itself. Other than that only a Mr. Monk might be so compulsive as to feel the scale by its very nature requires wrapping. I highly recommend this scale. I have found it to be first rate in every way.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›