5.0 out of 5 stars A Long Time Coming, September 28, 2010
This review is from: Station To Station [Special Edition] (3CD) (Audio CD)
For fans, this release has been a long time coming. A truncated version of the live Nassau Coliseum show has been available as a bootleg for some 30-odd years. Two of the tracks received an official release in 1992 as part of Rykodisc's Bowie reissue campaign, but finally we have it in its full blown state-of-the-art 2010 remastered glory (and sounding pretty damned good for a 34 year-old recording)!
The packaging is outstanding and the liner notes are generous.
One minor peeve: I had read that there would be a download link to obtain the full 13:08 minute version of Panic in Detroit with the extended drum solo, but so far, I have not been able to locate that. In reality, I can probably live without it...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2010 7:34:04 PM PDT
Goose says:
Hello J.Robertson, thank you for the fine review here! I'm hoping to spring for this 3CD version in a few days.
You say that the packaging is outstanding. If you don't mind me asking, could you go into a little more detail? I've had a rough run lately with some of these so-called deluxe versions out there. Bad packaging, etc. Would appreciate the feedback.... thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 8:25:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2010 8:27:09 PM PDT
J. Robertson says:
@ Goose: Let's see. The album CD is in a nice mini LP replica sleeve. The Nassau Coliseum 2-disk set is in its own mini-gatefold sleeve with great photos. There are 3 square cards with either new or seldom seen photos of the man, and finally there's a 16 page booklet containing a chronology of DB during the period of the recording of the album and the tour and a review, written back in 1976, of the outstanding Nassau Coliseum show. The whole thing is housed in a nice covered box (that also replicates the original LP cover). I honestly can't comment too completely on the booklet because the type is so small I have not been able to read it yet (you see, I am old enough to have purchased this album the week it was originally released back in January 1976). I really don't think this could disappoint any fan. I grappled with whether to buy this version or the super deluxe one with the vinyl and the additional CD mixes, and while I'd have liked to have had it, I simply couldn't justify the additional cost.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 9:38:45 PM PDT
I thought I imagined that Panic in Detroit was an edited version when I listened to the stream on Bowie's fan site but I guess not. I'm a little irked that the concert was edited but then again, that drum solo was pretty brutal! I'm eager to hear how good the concert sounds as I've only heard boots of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 10:03:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2010 10:05:56 AM PDT
This is a great and informative review, and I am anxiously awaiting delivery on my order.

It is too bad that the concert is edited, but I have heard the drum solo on bootleg, and as J. says in his review, we can probably all live without it. While extended drum rolls can be very exciting in a live concert venue, they tend to be kind of dull and repetitious on disc.

This was apparently the lowest period in Bowie's life, with his marriage crumbling and his cocaine addiction causing deep depression and paranoia. He has said in interviews that the entire Station to Station album is a cry for help. But he must have poured himself into his work to escape, because his live concerts from this era were, at least by bootlegged recordings I have heard and footage I have seen, quite amazing. The boots of this particular concert I have heard are really great, despite the poor sound quality. I can't wait to hear the official release version!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 2:12:33 PM PDT
Goose says:
Thank you J.R. , I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the details. Don't worry about your eyesight... I was 3 when this album was released and I don't see too well myself :) Thanks again... can't wait to hear it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 8:14:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 8:26:28 AM PDT
The editing of the drum solo is an act of kindness. For sake of completeness it's good to have on hand but the 13 minute version of Panic In Detroit is something I'd put back on the shelf permanently after playing it once or twice. Excellent show!

Like others, I can't justify buying the extravagant $130 package but I do wish its two newly edited versions of "Station to Station" and "Word On A Wing" had been appended to the first CD in this set (along with the edited version of "Wild Is The Wind" which was a b-side of one of this album's singles).

Oh - if worst comes to worst and no accompanying download of the unedited Panic In Detroit is available for this package, it can be singled out as an individual mp3 download here on Amazon for 1.99:
Panic In Detroit (Live Nassau Coliseum '76; Unedited Alternate Mix)

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 11:05:26 AM PDT
RW says:
iTunes has the set with the full version of Panic in Detroit. It has the shorter version in the regular set, and then adds the full length version at the end just FYI. Enjoy!

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 1:52:36 PM PDT
Old T.B. says:
You can get the full Panic in Detroit on the Amazon download, as well. As with iTunes, it's added to the end of the third disc.

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 5:16:53 PM PDT
Dr. D says:
I've just put in an order for the Deluxe Edition. The Nassau Coliseum is literally 10 minutes away from my house! Gotta represent New York!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 11:14:22 PM PDT
ClassicKol says:
Quick question- Why does each cd have less than 10 songs? I don't understand why the entire original album wouldn't be on the first cd, for example. Maybe Amazon has the track listings wrong, because it surely doesn't seem like 3 cds worth of music in quantity. Probably want it anyway.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›