Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars Switch Does NOT Control Fan, February 25, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii Intec G5614 Dual Charge Station and Turbo Cooler (Video Game)
Just to remark on another review, the on/off switch does not control the fan. The fan stays on whenever the unit is plugged in. The switch only controls the blue light.
I have made an adjustment in my charging center to get the switch to control both the light and the fan.
In order to do this you must:

1) Remove the sticky feet and the 4 screws underneath them
2) Remove the circuit board (2 screws) that the fan wires goto.
3) Unsolder the fans black wire (+) from the bottom of the curcuit board
4) Solder the fans black wire to the on off switch where the red wires from the blue light are already soldered.
5) re-screw the circuit board
6) rescrew the 4 screws under the feet
7) Put back on the sticky feet.

Now the on/off switch will control both the fan and the blue light.
I rated this an overall rating of 3 because this is a stupid design and the on/off switch should have controlled both without me having to modify it.
Doing this modification was simple.
I am not a great solderer so was worried at first, but when I took it apart I saw how easy it would be.
The modification took less then 10 minutes and could be done easily by anyone.
If this modification was done by the factory, I would have given this unit a 5 star review, but since I had to mod it, I am giving it a 3.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2008 8:34:08 AM PST
T. Carey says:
I do not know why this is showing up as 4 stars when I chose 3.

Posted on Mar 15, 2008 8:56:09 AM PDT
Mel_Cali says:
Well, your instructions do sound simple and it was nice to post them, but I don't have soldering equipment and am not about to buy it just for this - lol. I appreciate your honest review, it just saved me $30. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 3:45:48 PM PDT
I bought a cheap soldering iron for a buck at my school's bookstore.

Posted on Jul 9, 2008 1:13:33 PM PDT
Pee Didi says:
There is a reason for the on/off switch NOT to control the fan. Wii by default (after enabling internet connection) will stay on internally to communicate with the Nintendo server for updates and other functions, so your Wii will get HOT even though you think it's off. That really is a bad design on Nintendo's part to not turn on the built-in fan when "Standby connection is ON", so some people already had overheated units sent back for repair.

Basically, this cooling unit is designed to supplement the Wii's fan by keeping it cool when OFF with Standby Connection turned ON. You can always turn off "Standby" option like I have, then you don't need to buy this cooling station.

Posted on Aug 27, 2008 7:06:37 PM PDT
Jon says:
I can't get this modification to work no matter what I try to connect the black wire too.
I un-soldered the black wire going to the fan itself from the bottom of the circuit board, but the fan does not get any power, with the switch on or off, if I connect it to the red portion of anything at all, not the red pin directly over the power switch, or a red portion of anything, just from black...

Posted on Aug 30, 2008 9:30:37 AM PDT
All I can say is THANK YOU for the mod directions. My fan's gotten a little loud on me over the past few weeks and now I'll be able to charge up my Wii-motes without all the noise.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2008 7:57:55 AM PST
ck says:
Thanks for the review and instructions. RE: the stars, I'm guessing maybe you chose 3 stars for the "fun" factor and thought that was for the overall rating?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 2:36:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2008 2:37:16 PM PST
M. Schultz says:
i did this modification for a friend of mine and the colors were the other way around. it may be that some of them have the wires reversed, so just move the fan wire that is opposite the wire connected to the ON position and that should work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 2:37:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2008 2:38:27 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008 7:12:32 AM PST
Webwar says:
I had the same issue so I went a different route. I installed a switch. I used the power source for the charger (easily found) and placed a switch to break the curcuit. I placed the entire instructions under the reviews today.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›