5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Protective Sleeve For Macbook Pro's & Google Chrome Cr-48, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Case Logic LAPS-113 13.3-Inch Laptop / MacBook Air / MacBook Pro Retina Display Sleeve (Black) (Personal Computers)
Case Logic, Inc. has been around since 1984, which is probably right about the time I bought my first Case Logic case for my cassette tapes. Over the years, as they added items to their product line, so I added their products to my collection. As a sample, I believe I have owned at one point or another, Case Logic cassette cases, CD & DVD cases, CD player cases, Zip Drive cases, trunk organizers, and more. I'm looking around my home office and I can spot several of their products and I bet you do too. Case Logic's 13.3 Laptop Sleeve (LAPS-113) is one of many sleeves that Case Logic makes and it just might be the perfect protective, no frills sleeve for your 13.3-inch or smaller laptop.

PROS:
- No nonsense, sleek design
- 6mm EVA foam padding
- Smooth gliding zipper
- Protective lip prevents damage from zipper

CONS:
- Slight rubbery odor

I define my perfect laptop sleeve to be one that has no handles, pockets, zippers, or bulk. What I want out of a sleeve, is a relatively form-fitting sleeve that I can then toss into one of my other bags, like my Timbuk2 messenger bag or my JanSport backpack. The LAPS-113 hit each of my requirements perfectly, except for the inclusion of a zipper. Though, as you'll soon see, the zipper turned out to be a neutral feature for me, not a negative one.

PROTECTION
First and foremost, the LAPS-113 will protect your laptop from scratches. The exterior and interior materials are made out of 100% polyester. What makes the LAPS-113 stand out from many similar sleeves is the fact that it actually has some worthwhile padding to protect your laptop from impact. It is surrounded by a 6mm layer of EVA foam which feels a lot like memory foam. This thin layer provides enough protection that I feel very comfortable with it in my aforementioned bags. The sides also have a woven webbing that provides a protective texture as well as making it look attractive. As I mentioned before, I did not like the idea of a zipper on a laptop sleeve because I fear scratching my laptop with it. Fortunately, the Case Logic LAPS-113 has a protective lip around the zipper teeth. Essentially, when you begin to zip the the sleeve shut, the protective lip folds down over the laptop so that it is protected from coming in contact with the zipper teeth.

USAGE & SIZE
The smooth gliding zipper runs across the entire top of the sleeve and about an inch down the sides. It is very easy to insert and remove my laptop from the LAPS-113. When inside my messenger bag, I can remove my laptop without having to remove the entire sleeve from the bag. The Case Logic LAPS-113 laptop sleeve is listed as a 13.3-inch appropriate sleeve. The internal dimensions are 13in x 9.1in x 1.1in and weighs just 6 ounces. The new 13-inch Macbook Pro is listed as 12.78in x 8.94in x 0.95in, so the sleeve should be perfect. However, I have a 12.1-inch Google Chrome Cr-48 notebook and that too fit amazingly well. As my readers probably know already, I LOVE Timbuk2 products but I think the LAPS-113 just usurped my Timbuk2 sleeve as the sleeve my Cr-48 will live in. All you game developers who got their free Cr-48 from the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco might want to try the LAPS-113 for your brand new toy. To top it off, the LAPS-113 comes in three colors-black, red, and tannin (a sort of red wine, brown mixture). I also want to mention that the sleeve does give off a slight rubbery odor at first, but fades away after a few days. I know that some people are highly sensitive to smell so I just wanted to mention it for their sake.

CONCLUSION
There are plenty of folks out there who want a sleeve that has enough padding for better impact protection. The Case Logic LAPS-113 is able to do that without adding significant bulk in a simple and attractive design. I recommend it for 13-inch Macbook Pro users and Google Chrome Cr-48 users alike.

* Review sample courtesy of Case Logic, Inc.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2011 9:57:46 AM PDT
Would this case be too roomy for the new MacBook Air?

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 2:05:13 PM PST
E. Taylor says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 2:15:18 PM PST
Ed says:
@E. Taylor
You're correct that my review is of the 13-inch sleeve. Which is why just below the title, it states:
"This review is from: Case Logic LAPS-113 13.3-Inch Laptop / MacBook / MacBook Pro Sleeve (Black) (Personal Computers)"

Amazon recently consolidated the product pages for different sizes of this sleeve to make it easier to find the correct size, which I understand may have confused some shoppers, since the review I wrote was for the 13.3-inch sleeve. If you look to the right of the product photo, you'll see links to 11.6, 13.3, 14, 15, and 17-inch sleeves.

Thanks for your observation and take care.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 12:33:41 PM PDT
AaronB says:
I read this review and happily ordered the 15 inch model for my Macbook Pro, the 15 inch case is way too large for a 15" MBP, had to return it. Not your fault as the reviewer, but I wanted to make others aware.

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 12:41:40 PM PDT
This sleeve is too large (13" version) for my 13" macbook pro. VERY loose fit, with about 1" extra inside. I bet you could fit 2 macbook pro's inside and get a good snug fit. I returned it.

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 9:36:36 PM PDT
Batman says:
Did u have about 2 inches extra space left after u fit your laptop in there ?
My Samsung ATIV Book 8 ended up with 2 inches of space left up to the zipper.
Kinda makes laptop slip around the bag inside.

If i grab one end, laptop inside will slip and i will have nothing to hold on to.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2013 9:52:38 PM PDT
Re: my MacBook pro, I'd say 1 extra inch in the long dimension and a solid 1/2" too thick.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2013 11:51:24 PM PDT
Batman says:
I guess when the categorize them by screen size, doesn't mean body would fit or be too loose.
Getting tired of UNIVERSAL this UNIVERSAL that.

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 3:22:51 AM PST
Claire says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2013 2:46:30 PM PST
Batman says:
Was it marked as shipped ?
Amazon will not charge unless its delivered. You must have been charged for something else that cost the same.
Carefully review your statement.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›