5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful sound for such a small package, February 14, 2010
This review is from: Creative GigaWorks T3 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System (Personal Computers)
I recently purchased a new computer, and decided it was time to look for some new speakers. My old Harmon Kardon speakers were OK, but there was a couple of things I didn't like about them. First, the power switch was on the subwoofer (under the desk), and I wanted an easier way to power them on/off. I also didn't particularly care for the sound sound produced based on the speaker footprint; they were big, but they didn't sound big.

I went to one of the local computer stores, and spent some time listening to quite a variety of 2.1 speaker sets (don't have the space or interest for the 5+ speaker sets). The creative labs gigaworks speakers really impressed me. The footprint for both the subwoofer and stereo pair was fairly small, but the sound produced was extremely full. I'm amazed at how far the speaker technology has come since I last looked at computer speakers. Here's my subjective list of pros/cons:

Pros:

* Sound/clarity. I'm not sure how to quantify this, but they do sound wonderful. I would urge anyone considering spending this much money on speakers to actually hear them before buying, as what I think sounds great may not be to your taste. But for me these really satisfy my sound palette.

* Footprint: I don't have a ton of space to work with, and these were fairly compact.

* The volume control. There is a rotary dial volume control that is very easy to use/intuitive. I love digital, but I confess I like the old "analog style" rotary volume control. Place this near your "mouse hand", and it's easy to adjust volume very quickly for any inbound phone calls, etc. And if you turn the volume all the way down, the amp will cut off altogether.

* Headphone/auxiliary jack. This is placed on the rotary dial I mentioned above. Very easy to plug in a set of headphones or other input source as needed.

Cons:

* Price. It's a lot to spend on a computer speakers, at least for me. But I don't regret it.

* For some reason, I didn't receive a power cord in the box. No big deal, the unit accepts a standard "figure 8" power cord, but the cord really should be there.

* The midrange may be a little soft. Again, this is subjective.

In summary, I urge you to give these a listen if you are in the market for a 2.1 speaker set in this price range. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for reading.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]