3.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I would one day write a negative review about Glee, June 20, 2012
This review is from: Glee: Season 3 (DVD)
Before I get my head bitten off by some people, I want to start by saying that I used to be such a hardcore fan of this show. Season 1 was a solid A and back then, I used to see the show as a precious jewel.
However, season 3 was disappointing on so many levels that I won't be able to say everything in one review.

1st point: character development.
Sloppy and incomplete, no matter which character.
Contrary to what some fans believe, yes, there is such a thing as too much Blaine. They didn't even develop Kurt and Blaine's relationship, they just kept featuring Blaine in songs over and over again.
Kurt, however, was not sufficiently developed, not nearly enough. I won't spoil the finale, but his own story ends with a letter that will influence his academic future, and yet we never find out how he will handle the news. Don't get me started on the NYADA decisions which I still don't understand.
I also think that about 98% of the Glee fandom will agree with my next statement: too much Finchel.
Rachel and Finn have always been major characters, since season 1, but their relationship has gotten so annoying and cringe-worthy that it's exhausting. Finn's wedding proposal ruined the "Yes/No" episode, because it appears as if he's only resorting to this because he feels useless and irrelevant in other parts of his life. Don't even get me started on the moment when he said out loud that he had nothing positive going on for him in his life while Rachel was sitting right next to him. Major jackass moment. I felt sorry for Rachel on several occasions throughout this season.
As for Rory, well... Glee has got to stop adding new characters just to make the actors or the audience happy if they're not going to make them remotely relevant.
Last but not least... I was disappointed to see that the season 3 finale ended with only Rachel, instead of a group number. It sends the message that this show is not about the New Directions, but about this one character - which is not what the show was about at the start.

2nd point: plot continuity
Absolutely appalling.
Quinn's accident - episode 14 ended with such a major cliffhanger and we waited for 7 weeks to find out what had happened to her. What do we get? A BLAINE ANDERSON episode.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love Darren Criss. I loved him in A Very Potter Musical/Sequel (I'm also a huge Potterhead) and I think he's a remarkably interesting and lovable person in real life. But there's a difference between developing his character and over-displaying him while disregarding more important plot events.
Also, there's a screenshot going around the internet that shows Artie literally standing up during another character's performance. It probably happened too fast for me to notice it during the concerned episode, and I will have to re-watch it to be sure that it really occurred, but this was a major fail.

3rd point: song selection.
Now, don't get wrong, we had the pleasure of witnessing some wonderful performances this season. The Troubletones mash-ups (gold star to Rumor Has It/Someone Like You), Will's wedding proposal to Emma, and a few others made me very happy.
However, there were also some terrible choices.
(Side note: I literally cringed and yelled "No!" when they performed the One Direction song. But I reacted the same way when they covered Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black in Season 2.)
I was really excited when I heard that they were doing a Michael Jackson tribute episode, but the performances disappointed me to a great extent. I loved their rendition of Thriller in season 2 because it was fresh and original, but the songs in "Michael" were just poor covers. I actually fast-forwarded through a few songs because I was relentlessly bored.

You can't imagine how much I wanted to love this season. I really did. But if we have to go through 2 bad episodes before every good episode, it's no longer worth watching.
I will watch season 4, because I still have hope for this show, but I am genuinely scared that Ryan Murphy and the other producers will make the same mistakes.

I miss the old Glee! :'(