5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal!, October 30, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 320 GB PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection Bundle (Video Game)
Personally, though skeptical, I ended up loving being a Plus member. (Since PS3 reviews abound, and the Plus subscription is the selling point of this bundle, that's all I'm going to discuss.) I decided to try the 3 month plan and within a month I realized the Bargain and Upgraded to a year.

Here is the gist of it:
Costs $50 yearly (Less than $5/month. Compare to Netflix or Amazon Prime..but with unique content.)

Includes services like 1 gig of cloud storage and automatic game saves/system updates. (this alone might be worth a few bucks each month.)

Then there are the games. Here are some that I downloaded since my purchase until now.(June-October 2012)
Infamous 2,
Starhawk (solo campaign),
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game
Double Dragon Neon
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

That's well over $200 worth of games to play for $50.
But there are a few caveats:

1. The first reviewer is correct that you can only play these games WHILE YOUR MEMBERSHIP IS ACTIVE.

2. Over time, the number of games you can keep will be limited by your hard-drive capacity.

3. You don't know what's coming out very far in advance. (I had actually purchased Scott Pilgrim the month before it became available for free. That said, when I bought it, it was only $10 for members.)

To me, it's still a bargain. If you really love a game and want to play it a lot in the future, you can still buy a physical copy to play. If you didn't have PS Plus, that's would have to do. For 5 bucks a month, it's worth it to preview some of these games. For example I might decide I liked Infamous 2 and buy the new collection on disk, but though I really enjoyed Ratchet & Clank, once I've played through it I won't want to own it. (Or vice versa.)
Or another example, I was thinking I'd buy a physical copy of Borderlands with the extra Game of the Year content on it. But then Borderlands 2 came out, and I don't see myself going back just for that extra stuff.

In summary, it is WELL worth $50 to play these games and have the other features for a year. If you decide it's not, then you can go buy a physical copy of the games you wish you still had.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 7:26:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 7:29:14 PM PST
T. Hughes says:
Free games are just a small part. If you are the kind of person who downloads a lot of games/dlc/map packs then PS+ is definitely for you You will save more than you would normally spend. In the 4 months I have been a member I have download well over $200 in free games, saved probably another $100, and played a lot of 1 hour time demos (which is WAY better then a normal demo, you have the entire game and 1 hour to get a real test in to see if you like it with a buy option after).

However, I do get a little discourage when I buy a dl game on day one only to have it discounted or free a month later, so I've altered my buying purchases to match.

All in all it is worth $50.

But must not forget, unlike Xbox, PSN is and always will be free to access. PS+ is nearly a perk, one that's really designed for those who buy from PSN often.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:05:25 AM PST
James R. says:
Keep in mind if you pay even a steep PS+ discount for a game it will always be available to you to play even if you cancel your PS+ membership. Only the completely free games cease to be available after PS+ in cancelled.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:30:58 AM PST
Lucky Sevens says:
I am really on the fence buying this PS3 with the subscription. Many people have told me it's a waste. I'm buying it as a gift, so I personally have no idea which is better. Today this is the Amazon deal of the day for $250. I'd have to buy an extra remote, thus making it $290. However, I found another PS3 with less gigs, a remote, and 3 games (Batman, Starwars and Uncarted) for $290 as well. Both the same price. Both comes with different options. I'm not sure if this membership will do me any good if I am a prime/netflix member. Any suggestions?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:33:33 PM PST
B. Junglist says:
If you can borrow the GOTY disc for BL from someone else for about 20 minutes, you're good to go. ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›