264 of 283 people found the following review helpful
Top Ten Reasons To Buy "The Who: The Ultimate Collection",
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Who: The Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
10. It's more concise than the 4-CD boxed set.
9. The inferior 2-CD "Hooligans" compilation is out of print.
8. It has informative liner notes, listing the date each song was recorded.
7. The booklet includes pictures of all the Who album covers, and has some great photos of the band in action.
6. The remastered songs sound great, even on a moderately priced stereo system.
5. The song selection is superb, without a single weak track.
4. The recently deceased John Entwistle plays the greatest bass guitar licks of all time on "My Generation." This has never sounded clearer than the version on this compilation.
3. Roger Daltrey's vocals and Pete Townshend's songwriting are perfectly showcased on this great collection.
2. The first CD clocks in around 67 minutes. The second CD clocks in at nearly 69 minutes. Add in the bonus disc, and you have nearly two and a half hours of great Who music!
1. The bonus disc of 4 songs feature noticeably different versions of well known Who songs. Particularly outstanding is the acoustic version of "Happy Jack." Because it's a limited edition, you shouldn't wait too long to buy the aptly named Ultimate Collection.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2013 7:11:15 PM PST
D. Trevors. says:
It also includes the full album version of "Who Are You". Most other collections, including the box set, have the edited single version.
Posted on Jun 18, 2013 9:30:38 AM PDT
Leo Hott says:
I only got two CD's in mine W.T.F.?
Posted on Jun 23, 2014 9:51:24 AM PDT
Careful Reviewer says:
You forgot one, and it should be number one:
This album has the most (worst) dynamic range compression possible. Every soft part of a song is as aloud as the loudest part of the song. Not at all what was originally mastered. You can even hear distortion resulting from this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›