ARRAY(0x956e7768)

5.0 out of 5 stars D70 Upgrade, October 1, 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens (Camera)
I recently updated my DSLR collection to the Nikon D3100 from the Nikon D70. There are good reviews out there that you should check out. However, I would like to share some of my first impressions.

Pro:
-Better image quality and lower noise at high ISO with the D3100
-MUCH MUCH lighter, which will be nice when traveling
-Larger LCD screen
-11 focus points, including 3D focus which tracks the motion of the subject or camera.
-1080p Video
-14 megapixels
-2nd Generation DSLR
-Quiet, quiet, quiet

Cons:
-No bracketing option. Not a huge deal since I only bracket once a year
-Cannot use my old 50mm 1.8 lens. I knew this before purchasing the camera.
-As of 10/1/2010, Camera RAW for the D3100 is not supported in Photoshop or Lightroom. Need to shoot .jpg + RAW or use Nikon Capture NX2 for RAW files. That should be updated soon, so not a big deal.
-Can hear the lens focusing when recording video.
-No depth of field preview.
-Can't use wireless remote

I'm an amateur photographer and this camera meets my needs. I love the fact that it's small and light, with great quality images. If I were a serious photographer and had more money to spare, I would wait and check out the D7000, which appears to have phenomenal specs. I'm happy with my purchase and I highly recommend this camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2010 9:17:27 PM PDT
Jimmy Le says:
perfect review

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 10:30:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2010 10:44:49 PM PDT
Neil H. says:
Nice review. As you say, the D3100 (like the other small-body Nikons in the D40 family) can't autofocus with really older lenses, i.e. those made before about 2003 that do not have an AF motor in the lens itself. However, I presume the D3100 does have an electronic rangefinder in the viewfinder, like the D60 and D3000, that works very well with those older lenses. I am not speaking of the simple focus confirmation light way over on the bottom left that's in all Nikon DSLRs, which is sometimes CALLED an "electronic rangefinder" (causing some confusion), but an actual rangefinder scale that shows when you are approaching or passing correct focus. It is not turned on by default (the scale is used for other information) but has to be turned on through the menu system.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2010 6:09:13 PM PDT
EMH says:
To clarify, when you say "Cannot use my old 50mm 1.8 lens", I assume you mean it will not auto-focus, right? Otherwise, you should be able to use the lens with manual focusing (aided by the electronic focus indicator as Neil H. mentioned).

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 7:09:58 PM PST
Jan C. says:
Hi,

I am able to use my old 50 mm 2.0 lens with my D3100. I just can't use the autofocus. But I don't mind using the manual focus at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 11:32:02 PM PST
gguess says:
Has anyone else noticed noise when camera is focusing?

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 10:26:52 PM PST
LLA says:
When I read the following " As of 10/1/2010, Camera RAW for the D3100 is not supported in Photoshop or Lightroom. Need to shoot .jpg + RAW or use Nikon Capture NX2 for RAW files. That should be updated soon, so not a big deal "
What does this really mean...will it be a software upgrade or will photoshop or lightroom come up with something?
Thanks in advanve
LLA

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2011 3:17:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2011 3:25:06 PM PST
M. Rickman says:
I know that Lightroom has been updated. Lightroom 3.3 can now handle the D3100's RAW files. Depending on what software version you have it should just be a simple update. As for Photoshop, I believe Adobe has a plugin that will make the RAW files compatible for Photoshop CS5. However, if you have CS4 you'll have to convert them to a DNG file. Do a search for Adobe DNG Converter and you should find the free conversion tool Adobe offers.

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 5:04:24 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 13, 2011 3:17:04 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 10:40:53 PM PST
Adobe Camera Raw 6.3 (plug-in software) supports the D3100 under Photoshop CS5. Lightroom can be updated for free to 3.3, which supports this camera.

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 9:59:51 AM PST
Brian says:
Check out this wireless shutter remote for the D3100. It's cheap and works well!

‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›