5.0 out of 5 stars SONY a55, October 15, 2010
This review is from: Sony a55 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm zoom lens (Electronics)
I own this camera. I'm a Nikon owner from way back and own a Nikon d90, but researched this camera and it's technology, and after using it I rate it 5 stars because it does everything but butter your bread! Unbelievable images!!!!!! I'll not review the attributes of this Sony because it's already been done previously, but honestly, it's probably the most awesome buy on the market now! No, I'm SURE it is!!!!!! Be aware though that this camera is substantially smaller than your average DSLR, and may take some getting used to, but I like it as a quick shooting alternative. I'll let you know more when I receive my new Nikon D7000, for a comparison. But in summary if you're contemplating purchasing this Sony, GO FOR IT!

UPDATE: November 12, 2010- Just returned from Italy with this camera and My Nikon d90, and I will have to say this camera is AMAZING! Yes, the d90 takes amazing shots and deserves praise, but this new Sony also deserves alot of praise. The Sony is lighter, easier to handle (for me, I have average-size hands), is FAST, SUPER EASY TO NAVIGATE AND OPERATE, and most importantly, takes awesome shots!!! After going over 1000 shots and interpreting the quality, the Sony performed with 5 stars, plus it's just so damn easy to shoot, and the added features were really very useful. I still rate it 5 stars, but will update when I receive my new d7000.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2010 3:31:03 PM PDT
I'm almost on-board with this sony a55 as I think it dictates a 'game-changing' technology for the dslr format. I said 'almost' since they still embrace that 'proprietary' junk like it's their high school sweetheart. I'm not referring to that memory stick junk that they finally gave room for SD slot (in their alpha line), it's the damn hot shoe on the new a55 that forces u to buy Sony's own external flashes (or those that comply with Sony's hot shoe design) that kills the deal for me. That means not being able to easily use 3rd party external flashes on this 'almost' perfect dslr.

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 10:03:30 PM PDT
blueforest says:
Please do let us know your comparison between this Sony and Nikon D7000. I moved from Nikon to Canon for the 7D video capability, only to find that auto focus in video mode for the 7D is extremely disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 4:14:51 AM PDT
Bear 57 says:
Sure thing, I'll let you know as soon as I've made some comparisons,regards, Bob

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 4:16:18 AM PDT
Bear 57 says:
Good point, but this camera is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 11:39:13 AM PDT
Robert, have you received your Nikon D7000? Can you please let me know your comments about them? I'm interested in both cameras and can't decide which one would be best for me. I currently have a Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200mm. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 11:52:16 AM PDT
Bear 57 says:
Hello, thanks for your inquiry, but no, I haven't received the d7000 yet ( I'm waiting like all the rest). The Sony is an awesome camera, and would rate it 5 stars to anyone, but since you have a Nikon lens, you may want to wait for the d7000, from what I've read, it's a pretty amazing camera and Nikon build quality is good, hope this helps, regards, Bob

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 11:14:09 AM PST
Tommy Boy says:
Hi,
I am curious if you have received your D7000 yet? I have the A55, I bought it a couple weeks ago and all I can say is wow! the AF on this thing is so fast it borders on pre-cognition! It's ridiculous! Video is amazing! I had narrowed it down to the A55, the D7000 and the 60D. the 60D lost b/c of the damn locking mode dial! WTH is up that? plus the AF wasn't nearly as fast and the video wasn't quite as good. D7000, nice camera! I was concerned with the pixel issue however, plus $600 difference in price. Also, I just liked the way the A55 felt in my hands. I have pretty big hands but I like the compact desiqn of A55. Anyway, let me know how you feel about the D7000 compared to the A55. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 7:33:19 PM PST
Eric T says:
"it's the damn hot shoe on the new a55 that forces u to buy Sony's own external flashes (or those that comply with Sony's hot shoe design) that kills the deal for me. That means not being able to easily use 3rd party external flashes on this 'almost' perfect dslr."

You realize you can buy a $10 adapter to fit any standard flash?

Eric

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 4:40:12 AM PST
Bear 57 says:
Hello and thanks for your inquiry, and yes, the Nikon d7000 is TOTALLY AMAZING! I would have to recommend it to anyone over anything in it's price range out there now. 1) Build quality on the d7000 is awesome, no dead pixels, good weight, everything placed where it should be 2) d7000 features are spot on-rates #1. 3) d7000 is considerably larger, somewhat easier to hold, but the a55 is easy to use as well, just depends on hand size, I suppose. The d7000 will probably turn out to be one of the highest rated cameras imaginable in it's class, but as it stands today, I'll give it 5 starsplus. Hope this helps, I still love the a55, and it's offerings, it's amazing too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 5:19:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2011 5:29:47 AM PST
Bear 57 says:
UPDATE: Popular Photography just rated the Sony a55 CAMERA OF THE YEAR!!!!!!! I can understand why the entire staff praised this innovative camera-I achieved awesome results from it on my recent trip to Italy, IT DEFINATELY RATES 5 STARS +

UPDATE- 01/05/2011 I still rate this camera 5 stars+ , no wonder it was selected as camera of the year!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›