4.0 out of 5 stars Works, if you can make sense of the instructions., April 14, 2011
This review is from: Metra Axxess ASWC OEM Steering Wheel Control Universal Interface Module (Electronics)
It's actually a simple process if you can understand the instructions. It took me a good 20 or so minutes of re-reading the instructions to figure out what is going on with all the wires and what that heck I am supposed to plug into what.

I installed this in a 2005 4 door Toyota Tacoma that I put a JVC KW-AVX830 in dash touchscreen dvd head unit.

I consider myself to be technologically savvy. I build computers on a regular basis, and I have installed at least 6 or so car stereos in various vehicles. Axxess could use a good re-write of the instructions is all i'm saying.

They could use a much better explanation of the wires. They could surely use some starting explanations of what to expect when installing, like you will probably only use a few of the wires on the unit. Looking at the mess of wires in the beginning can be a bit overwhelming.

My biggest problem however was how the instructions told me the wrong wire to use from the axxess unit. Their website I do not consider to be HORRIBLE, but it isn't great either. Both in the booklet that came with the unit and on the website, the wrong wire to use was given. Thank goodness they provided a pdf file to download (a little link with not much of an explanation of what it is on the website) that had the correct wire. I spent way too much time trying to reprogram the unit (which the instructions truly could use a revamping of also) only to find that I had the wrong wire connected. Once the correct wire was plugged in, the auto detect did it's job and things worked as expected.

I am not about to go back and try and reprogram things manually if I wanted to change functions for something, because their information is just not organized in a friendly fashion.

But it does do what I want. The volume buttons change the volume, and the up and down arrow buttons change the tracks on my ipod or seek on my radio (they don't go through presets, but i'm ok with that). And the mode button changes my source (radio, bluetooth, cd, a/v, radio, dvd, whatever)

So overall it is actually a great unit, that after getting a grip on what the instructions are trying to say and finding a document that tells you the correct connections, it does what it is supposed to.

After hooking it up once, I could easily hook it up again in another vehicle in no time flat.

[Add comment]