2.0 out of 5 stars 2-stars because I've owned other TENS/EMS devices of better value, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Omron electroTHERAPY Pain Relief Device PM3030 (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, this is an excellent portable TENS device that only uses 2 AAA batteries (incl.) and has 2 electrodes, but if you do some more research you'll realize it is a little high-priced for what you get.

I can only give it 2-stars because there are similarly priced TENS and dual EMS devices for the same price that have 4 electrodes that are far better values.

I first got one after being hooked up to a "commercial" one at my chiropracter's office. Later, I went to a different chiro and they had a small portable unit and I was like, wow, it works just as good. Thus, I searched Amazon many years ago and found a TENS/EMS dual unit with 4 electrodes for right at $50 or so.

On top of that, the one I ordered many years ago, uses a longer lasting 9V battery, has a few dozen extra options, has more levels of sensitivity and more power output AND...also has an AC adapter.

So would you pay the same amount for something with 2 less electrodes, has less power, less configurable options, and only uses battery power?

Then, another consideration is..replacement electrodes. The type that I purchased uses the standard electrical-stim electrodes that I can purchase from any vendor. This OMRON unit uses their own connectors, therefore you have to go to OMRON to purchase them. I haven't priced them out for this OMRON unit, but I know a dozen vendors sell universal electrodes for my old unit.

On my old unit, I can set sensitivity for each pair of electrodes, so let's say your whole back was in pain, but the lower hurt more. You can put 2 electrodes on the upper/middle and 2 electrodes on the lower. Then, you can turn up the power on just the lower as needed. Also, I can use just 2 electrodes if I wanted (like the OMRON).

Here's some helpful criteria to consider if you are looking for a device like this:
=====================================================================================
0. My disclaimer - I'm an engineer, I work in IT, I am not a doctor! ALWAYS ask your doctor before use and never use this near your neck or the front of your chest (or chest to back), please follow all directions in the instruction manual; use only as directed!
1. Price
2. How many electrodes? (Should be 4, IMHO)
4. Does it do TENS and EMS or just TENS ?
5. Can I use AC power to save on battery when I'm laying in bed?
6. Is it portable? Does it have a battery power option?
8. Ask your Chiro which one they use if they have a small portable one

Once you consider the 8 criteria above, you will understand why I give this one 2-stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2012 1:25:32 PM PDT
Peachbulb says:
Very helpful review! So what models would you recommend instead?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 2:47:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 2:52:54 PM PDT
Dean! says:
My chiro uses a TensPros and I bought the TensPros Twin Stim III on Amazon but can no longer find it. You can go to their website, www"dot"tenspros"dot"com. They have a cheaper analog one, but mine is all digital display for $49. I will admit it is more complicated to use, but once you read the manual very carefully all the way through, you'll get the hang of it.

TensPros advertises an industry standard of 105 mA, whereby I could not find any "power out specification" on Omron's website.

If you search Tens/EMS on Amazon, there are some hits, but unfortunately, no 4-5 star reviews. You'll find the electrodes I mentioned in my review, bunch of vendors.

Ahh, just found the Twin Stim III on Overstock"dot"com, it has 37 reviews, 4.4 stars, same price. Go to their site and search "inTENSity" .

The TensPro is like the business professional with the Blackberry, this Omron unit is like a child's playtoy cellphone with 4 buttons and 5 volume settings.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 7:04:06 AM PDT
Misfit says:
Thank you for a well thought out review. I was happy to get this via vine, but I'm a total newb to what's available in the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 9:20:58 AM PDT
Dean! says:
Thanks for your kind words. I too, was happy to get this via Vine moreso out of curiosity to see how it compares to other models I've used. Glad to know there are other "bigger name" players out there now and hopefully this helps improve Omron's future models.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 2:00:25 PM PDT
Dean! says:
[Update: 10/11/12 - I wanted to add a #9 Criteria Item to my original review, which is a little bit of an exception, and that's "Can I figure out how to use it? Could my parents or grandparents figure out how to use it?" A little bit of history - my parents did not get their first cellphone until after they were both retired. I don't leave voicemail because they don't know how to check it and that's only after I setup the voicemail for them because they didn't know how to set it up. If I showed them my modern smartphone, they would not know what to do or how to even dial a phone number. I feel the same way if they were to purchase a TensPro Twin Stim III type unit or similar
"advanced" model for the same price. They wouldn't be able to figure it out. The Omron unit, though, has 4 modes and then up/down power settings and just 2 simple to place electrodes. It's a simple unit with less electrodes to mess up and less settings and options to mess up. I feel I could show them the Omron unit and they would be able to use it on their own, but then again, I also showed them how to check voicemail and they still don't know how to check it!]

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 7:38:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 17, 2012 7:38:30 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 5:31:15 AM PDT
Beth Dailey says:
I am considering the InTENSity 10 pre-set tens unit and wondering if you have ever tried it. I am impressed with your review! I have never tried a TENS and have sciatica and back arthritis.
thanks for your time
Beth

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 8:33:45 AM PDT
Dean! says:
Hi Beth - I've been happy with my TensPro Twin Stim, so had not heard of the 10 pre-set tens unit you speak of. I did a quick Internet search and based on my 8 criteria, here's what I think:
1. Price --- [As listed at ~$44 - seems to be a pretty good price!]
2. How many electrodes? --- [Looks like there are 4 electrodes, that is good]
3. What is the electrode connector like? Can I buy more from any place or is it a proprietary connector that I must buy from the same manufacturer (like this OMRON) --- [Only making an assumption, it seems like it uses standard/universal/easily available electrodes like my TwinStimIII]
4. Does it do TENS and EMS or just TENS ? --- [seems like just TENS]
5. Can I use AC power to save on battery when I'm laying in bed? --- [on the TensPro site, it says AC power adapter included]
6. Is it portable? Does it have a battery power option? --- [comes standard with battery power]
7. How configurable is it? How many options? How customizable are the various programs? --- [Seems easier to use than the TwinStim, as yours would have 10 built-in programs]
8. Ask your Chiro which one they use if they have a small portable one --- [?]
9. Can I figure out how to use it, could be parents/grandparents figure out how to use it --- [Beth - seems like what you found is a pretty ideal one, 4 electrodes, 10 simple programs, battery and ac power and still cheaper than this Omron! Sounds like a winner to me!]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 10:37:05 AM PDT
Beth Dailey says:
thank you SO much for the quick response an for such a detailed answer!! I am a newbie to Tens and altho I do know how to check my voicemail :) I thought something more basic would be better than the Twin Stim(at least to begin with). I have been frustrated with my PT dept screwing up my RX and the DME supply store not telling me anymore than they carry a Biomed(couldn't tell me a model #)and that it does NOT have ac adapter that I decided to get one myself. I appreciate your answer!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 3:10:05 PM PDT
Beth Dailey says:
I just wanted to know that I got the unit from TensPros today and I really like it. I am glad I read your review and bought the Intensity 10 instead of the Omron. Thank you so much!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (827 customer reviews)

$69.99 $26.78