2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review, November 12, 2007
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Learning Resources Dino Math Tracks Game (Toy)
The upside:

If you're looking to get your kids excited about math, this works. My girls loved the dinosaurs and the Action cards sent them into giggles.

If you're looking to get your kids to understand the different place values in a multi-digit number, this works, i.e. within a half hour of play, my 6-year olds were able to read 5,425 as five thousand, four hundred and twenty five. Before we started the game they could not.

The downside:

There are errors in the instructions. The colors/place values described do not agree with the board. We found another similar error in the "Action cards". To me, it is not acceptable to have careless mistakes in a math game.

Educationally, it just doesn't make sense that 1s, 10s, 100s, and 1000s all appear as roughly equal footsteps on the board. Yes, they are marked as 1, 10, 100, and 1000s on the footprint, but moving ahead 1 step for 1 moves your dinosaur the same distance as moving forward 1 step for the 1000. It just gives you no sense of the relative values.

The board gets too crowded with even 2 players but with 4 it was very hard to keep track of your pieces (16 total on the board.)

Perhaps because I have been "conditioned" by so many other games (like Trouble or Sorry) I was used to looking for "my color" and not "my dinosaur". Every player gets 4 different colors of 1 type of dinosaur. I'm sure its something you get used to but it was yet another annoyance.

The cards that came with the game are very flimsy, barely a heavy cardstock. They do not look like they will hold up to much use.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2007 7:01:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2007 7:03:08 PM PST
TexyInAustin says:
There are options to make the game less annoying. Use the same color dinosaurs for each player. Rules for these games are always there as guidelines. I have read through the cards and instructions and do not see the errors you are talking about. I also think moving a dinosaur 1, 10, 100, 1000 and counting that out loud is important for the younger children playing. I also found lots of value in some of the math questions where the player has to move 2,349 spaces. I think the logic behind the game does what it needs to do to teach children counting, adding, and subtracting in much higher numbers.

Posted on Mar 22, 2009 7:26:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2009 7:26:39 PM PDT
Lolly says:
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with you. Moving one space for 1, or 10, or 100, or 1000 teaches multiplying by that amount! So, a dinosaur on the 100's line, moving three spaces, is equivalent to 100 X 3, or 300. It teaches skip-counting by 100's, as well (100, 200, 300). Similarly, moving a dinosaur forward 3 spaces on the 1000's line teaches the exact same principles.

And as for the colors--you just need to get used to being the Stegosaurus, and looking for your dinosaur in each line--I don't think this is as difficult for the kids (who don't have as much color-associated game play at age 5-7 as adults) to track. They take a great deal of ownership in being their dinosaur. "No! I'm the stegosaurus!"

We LOVE this game! The pieces are tactile (soft rubber like a good eraser), there shouldn't be crowding if you play by the rules (no two dinosaurs can occupy the same space--they have to faceoff against each other for that space), and we played with 4 people & found we whipped through the game (first level learning for my 3 & 6-year-old) in about 30-40 minutes.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 8:57:23 AM PDT
Mrs Smith says:
Wish I listened to you instead of all 4 and 5 stars! I agree with every point you make.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (30 customer reviews)

$23.99 $17.13