5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Bloodlines!, June 14, 2012
This review is from: The Golden Lily: A Bloodlines Novel (Hardcover)
I picked up this book on the release date and proceeded to finish it in three hours. Despite the fact that I was supposed to be cheering on my brother at his Little League game.

And I regret nothing.

If you have not yet heard me fangirling about this series yet, well, you're about to. Because *insert fangirl squealing here*.

I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of the idea of these books at the beginning. After all, in the VA series Adrian and Sydney weren't really that big in my mind. I was a hardcore Dimitri/Rose shipper and found Adrian cute but in the way. Sydney I just didn't find particularly interesting with Rose at the front and center.

Bloodlines, I have to admit, was good. The Golden Lily? BETTER.

I liked Sydney in Bloodlines. I loved her in The Golden Lily. I liked Adrian in Bloodlines. I LOVED HIM IN THE GOLDEN LILY.

*Mild spoiler warning*

Adrian turned into such a different person in this book. In the VA series especially, he was a big cliché of a slacker dude. In The Golden Lily, though, he really comes into his own. The depth that he shows and the personality past the snark and slacking was utterly amazing. Plus, it didn't feel like this sudden turn around. Mead made me believe that this was really under there all along. I will never give up on Dimitri because HELLO SEXY but Adrian?

HELLO ADORABLE MARRY ME NOW.

I was really not expecting the Sydney/Adrian scenes to go like then did. I especially didn't expect Sydney to get a boyfriend. That in itself was awkwardly adorable, but again DUDE IN THE WAY OF THE REAL LOVE. Mead, you love to torture us so. Adrian's attempts to hang out with Sydney through subtle ruses was way too overt coupled with Jill's apparent "crush" on Sydney, though. I mean, we got it, really. And Sydney, HOW DENSE CAN YOU BE?

Oh, oh, should I be talking about the other stuff in the book? Crap. Uh. I also enjoyed finding out what Trey's sun tattoo meant, and seeing Jill grow up a little in regards to her situation. The whole Eddie/Angeline/Jill thing seemed a little contrived to me, but I'll let it slide because I'm here for the Sydney/Adrian, really.

One of the biggest changes for me is the fact that there is a lot less action then I seem to always expect. After all, Rose was THE most active person ever, getting into fights at every chance. Sydney, of course, is the brainy chick who was not raised to be a fighter and that necessitates a different form of "action." Because of this, it almost seemed like The Golden Lily moves slower than any of the VA books, when there really is a lot going on. My brain has yet to process this.

I really wanted the whole witch thing to be delved into a little more, but with everything else going on there wasn't really room for it anyways. Still, the next book doesn't come out til 2013, come o-

The next book doesn't come out til 2013 and SHE LEFT IT WITH THAT ENDING? WHY, MEAD, WHY?!?

I may die of anticipation.

Also, by the way, if you were expecting a coherent review you weren't listening to me when I said FANGIRL HERE.

And because the fangirl really is here now I ... should probably stop typing. Bottom line?

Bloodlines < The Golden Lily

IT'S THAT GOOD.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 22, 2012 1:57:41 PM PDT
Natski13 says:
I loved this book even more than Bloodlines too, which I wasn't sure was possible! Can't wait for Richelle's next book in this series!

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 5:52:43 PM PDT
BelleRose says:
ahehe, you're funny. I enjoyed reading your review ^_^ I wanna read the book now. The thing about Sydney getting a boyfriend, though, is scary... at least if it isn't Adrian. :( Stupid dude had to start dating her. Some vampire should shove him into a hole until Sydney realizes how much she loves Adrian... (I haven't read these books yet so I actually don't know if she likes Adrian). Anyway, maybe if this ends with a cliffhanger I should wait to read it until the 3rd book comes out. Cliffhangers drive me insane (I'm not a very patient when it comes to waiting to see what happens).
Thanks for posting your review :)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 3:17:17 AM PDT
BJ Hix says:
I know this comment comes almost 2 years after your review, but I did want to add that you actually do start to see a change in Adrian at the end of Book 4 of VA and a major change at the start of book 5 Spirit Bound, when he starts dating Rose. I did just start book 5 and I have noticed a big change. No smoking, he isn't hitting the booze, not hitting on her as much, introducing her to the parents, etc. So maybe Rose laid the ground work for the guy he became for Sydney.....but in the long run, the only guy for Rose WAS Dimitri.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (541 customer reviews)

$18.99 $14.74