3.0 out of 5 stars Great protection, not very sleek, September 21, 2012
This review is from: OtterBox [Commuter Series] Apple iPhone 5 & iPhone 5S Case - Retail Packaging Protective Case for iPhone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I've been a big fan of the Otterbox Commuter series of cases, but I was disappointed with the new iPhone 5 Commuter. My issue with the case is its thickness. The case almost doubles the thickness of the iPhone 5 (.30 to .56 inches). For comparison, the iPhone 4 Commuter was .57 inches thick. While the iPhone 5 is .07 inches thinner than the 4, the Commuter case is only .01 inch thinner than the 4 case. Part of that is due to a raised lip on the front that I would guess is 1/8" high. I found the lip to be quite noticeable when using the phone.

If the added thickness doesn't bother you, then you should like this case. It is as nice as the previous Commuter cases I have used. The fit was good and the protective flaps fit nicely over the headphone jack and the lightning port. The case will protect your phone, but I would not describe this case as sleek.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2012 7:05:48 PM PDT
You said it's bulky, does this mean it will not fit inside the pocket of jeans? Would it be uncomfortable to carry in jeans?

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 7:19:45 PM PDT
poetrywmn says:
I just ordered this case directly from Otterbox and after reading your review, I am hoping that I like it when it arrives. I just recieved my iPhone 5 today (my first iPhone) and am pretty nervous with it, as it is SO much lighter than the BRICK that was my HTC Rezound. So I am thinking that I may not be that unhappy with this case adding a little thickness to the phone itself. My main goal in a case is to have it protect the phone at all costs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 8:56:36 PM PDT
D. Burns says:
That depends on how loose your jeans are. The hard shell covers most of the case so there should be little resistance to it sliding in and out of pockets.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 8:58:41 PM PDT
Okay I ordered mine yesterday, but now wondering if I should cancel my order or not. Are you planning to keep your case or returning it for something better?

I think I might just buy a SGP screen protector, and a different case.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 9:14:18 PM PDT
D. Burns says:
I've been looking at other cases online, and one that caught my eye was the Splash Medley. It looks similar to the Commuter and may be thinner. Keeping the Commuter is another option, but I'd have to get over the added thickness.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 8:29:56 AM PDT
Tommy C says:
I just gave mine to UPS for return. I'm buying a simple screen protector for now and waiting for OtterBox's new "PreFix Series" to come out and trying that. Like my review says as well, it really is so bulky and obnoxious, you will really regret the purchase.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 10:14:24 AM PDT
Buekie Bob says:
I'm sorry but the negative reviews about the thickness of the case seem to miss the point. The Commuter case has always been a set-down option from the Defender model. But as such, it is still expected to provide a significant amount of shock protection. Any significant reduction in thickness of the case material would also significantly reduce the effectiveness of the shock protection. Bottom line: iPhone 5 owners have to decide which is more important - degree of shock protection or thinness of encased phone. If the latter is your priority, the Commuter was never a good choice for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 4:19:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2012 4:20:46 PM PDT
poetrywmn says:
I totally agree, Buekie Bob, with your assessment that the primary purpose of the Ottebox cases are shock protection, and that is my goal with finding a case that can adequately protect a very large investment in the form of the iPhone 5. I will be receiving my Otterbox Commuter case in a few weeks, and will post my observations of it's form and functionality at that time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:34:27 AM PDT
Agreed. I always buy both the defender as well as the commuter case for my iPhone. I got the Iphone 5 the day it came out and absolutely love it. I also purchases the defender case the same day and just like the phone I am without a doubt astonished how well the two work together. My phone feels safe regardless of the environment I'm in. I work in a mill and wanna no that i can work without worrying about my phone. On off days I use the commuter case. Its less bulky than the defender but still offers maximum protection. If u want the security of knowing your phone is safe, otterbox is the way to go. If your looking for anything less, Maybe u should consider something else.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 7:20:04 PM PDT
Jason T. Kam says:
thats what I was worried about. if the iPhone 5 is xx% thinner, the iPhone 5 case should be xx% thinner. it seems I will need to wait till the second generation otter box cases come out, maybe then, they will have the case updated.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›