2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed due to apparent faulty probe, July 17, 2011
This review is from: iDevices iGrill 7685-IGLK Grilling/Cooking Barbecue Thermometer, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
Despite the mediocre reviews, I really wanted to have a good experience the iGrill. I do a lot of BBQ on a Weber Smokey Mountain, and a wireless thermometer is invaluable. My existing wireless is a PITA to sync and keep synced, so when I saw the iGrill's bluetooth capabilities, I thought, "brilliant"!

Well, it would be brilliant except for the apparent faulty probe. I am attempting to smoke a beef brisket using the iGrill and noticed the meat's temp jumping to over 145 degrees in an hour. Given my smoker's temp was only at 250, I suspected an issue.

After some troubleshooting, I observed the following:

A. The probe's temp wildly fluctuating depending on how the probe connector was positioned to the base unit.

B. Even when "settled", the probe shows a temperature consistently 10-15 degrees above that of my trusty Pyrex probe thermometer.

I've emailed iGrill to request a probe replacement, but do not expect to hear from them for at least a day.

If I get a replacement probe that works, I will update this review, but at this point, I simply cannot recommend the iGrill.

EDIT: As I indicated in a reply to a comment, I did receive a replacement probe from the vendor. However, that probe only lasted two months before failing in the same manner. iDevices needs to figure out what is wrong with their probe manufacturing process, because something is not working.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2012 1:24:12 PM PST
Roman Beyer says:
Did you get a replacement probe? Did it work better?

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 1:23:41 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 7:41:12 PM PDT
R. Flor says:
Yes, I did get a replacement probe from the vendor, and it proceeded to fail 2 months later. They seem to have a major issue with probe quality, and at this point...I simply cannot recommend the product.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 12:52:19 PM PDT
Good to know. It looks like the app just shows temp. Does it record temps? For instance, the app could be a great smoking journal tool if it gave me ambient and meat temps every 1/2 hour of the cook and had input fields for what it was and how it turned out.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 8:07:27 AM PST
Diamond Dave says:
I had the exact same experience! I sent the unit back, too much$$ and the bluetooth did not reach far enough for my home. Very cool idea, but 30 feet is just not enough, and with the probe issues, I just could not justify the price premium over the Maverick!

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:26:29 PM PST
Roman Matla says:
I've now lost my fifth probe. It's a great idea but the single point of failure are the probes. Makes it very frustrating to endorse this product!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 4:15:13 PM PST
Kevino says:
It does log to graph which can be exported to PDF or csv

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2013 5:57:59 AM PDT
A. Keil says:
Were you able to find a reliable replacement? I just found Range by Supermechanical (http://supermechanical.com/range) that looks like it might be a solid alternative.

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 1:24:05 PM PDT
DocTom says:
Had rhea same problem. Two probes in two separate probes in two pieces of meat in a cooker set at 250F. One probe running fine other probe suddenly increased 40F and continued to fluctuate wildly indicating an internal temp of 295F in a 250F cooker.

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 6:00:44 AM PDT
These probes are now on recall!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›