4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, January 3, 2011
I noticed when buying this that there were no reviews for this particular model, though there were reviews for another model that appears to have a different name, but is essentially the same as this one (flower cameras)with only one camera. As I assumed they must be virtually the same, I used those reviews to make my decision, and you can do the same, as they applied very well to this one. I chose this one over the other specifically because it had TWO cameras for less money than the model with only ONE camera. I also liked the colors on this one much better. The other had a bland pink, I like the more vivid blue and purple this set has. Also, I'm using mine more as surveillance cameras, not for monitoring a baby. I have a large, oddly shaped house, with a back area that I cannot see or hear anything in without being right in front of the door leading to the area. That area is the main reason I wanted and needed something to be able to monitor the area. I'm also hoping these cameras will be helpful during the warmer times of year when I am out at my pool or in my big backyard.

First, I love the cute flower cameras. They're not as obvious as a little camera sitting around. It's easier to mistake them for little nightlights or decorations. This also makes them easier on the eye, albeit a little childish in a home without small children. The clip, while not quite as strong and firm as I'd hoped, is thick and sturdy enough to hold it most anywhere and do the job and has heavy rubber on the inside so as not the mark up whatever you use it on. The flexible stem is very sturdy, and at the same time easy enough to bend to whatever position I want and hold that position, which is no where near straight.

I like the base monitoring unit. It's very lightweight and easy to use. I like the little pullout "stand" is has, though for better reception of the two areas I'm monitoring, I've found a way to hang it on a hook on my wall by my computer. It could do with a different kind of on/off button. I feel uneasy every time I come across it, like I'm going to break it off if I'm not careful, and I don't like the way it juts out of the side. Still, overall, I like it.

The picture quality from the cameras is really good. It's in color when the room is lit or during daylight, and black and white when there is little or no light. I was absolutely amazed at how good it was in a dark room! Even in almost total darkness, you could see clearly. It looks as if there is actually a light on in the room. You will have no problem making out what is going on in the room at night. Excellent night vision!

I read reviews for the other model like this and they mostly didn't have a lot of good to say about the audio, however, I've not had any major problems in this area. I think it's pretty good myself. However, on this good note, I can say that my (older)kids can sometimes hear the audio echoing from my room when they are in other areas in the main portion of the house. This could easily being handled by lowering the volume on the monitor base.

Now for the bad. Other reviews mention the flaky light. Yes, the light does seem to come on on its own at odd times. I don't know why that is. It's not all that often, though it could be a problem in certain circumstances. Interference. I read a lot about this on those other reviews, and was another reason I wanted this model, as it's title even says "Interference Free". Not quite true. I have the monitor base pretty close to my computer and router. And have a second computer a few rooms away. At times, I can see the picture flicker each time I click on something on the computer or I know the other computer is in full swing (so to speak). Also, it really does matter where you place the cameras in relation to the base. Here in the main part of my house, I don't have much interference from the camera I have placed at the other end. But it's almost a straight shot between the two, with a slight angle from the hall wall. However, the second camera is in the far back built on portion of my house. This is the one I have problems with. I can only pick up the signal in very particular areas. I either have to go down the hall somewhat to catch the signal from that end or angle it to a fairly clear shot out my window into one of the glass doors in that back area, where the other camera is positioned fairly close to. That can be taken as good or bad. Bad in that if those two glass areas weren't there, I probably wouldn't be able to monitor that area (and would have sent the whole shebang back). Good in that it IS able to pick up that signal going through two strong panes of glass AND an outside area AND a fairly good distance away. So it seems if you have an almost clear shot, you can pretty much get good monitoring. Also, in attempts to boost my signal, I did a pretty simple thing. I rolled up a small amount of aluminum foil into an antennae of sorts of about 2 inches and stuck it on the tiny antennae of the cameras. It DID work. My signal picked up a fair amount compared to what it was before. Though it does detract from the cuteness of the flower camera, it helps, and for my purposes, I can easily deal with it.

Since I haven't tried it from outside yet, I braved the cold tonight so I could give you my review of that as well. I have almost an acre of land. After walking both the front and back yards with the base, I can happily say there are only a few small "blind" spots. I'd worried that though I'm able to monitor the two areas I wanted in the house FROM the house, that I might not be able to do the same when I'm out and about in my yard and pool, which I'd very much wanted to be able to do. That doesn't look to be a problem, and I'm now very satisfied.

Overall, I DO like this product very much. It was this, or a wired system. At least with this, I can easily and readily move the cameras at any time I like, as well as move the base monitor when and where I like. You're probably going to have problems with any wireless monitoring system unless you spend big bucks or go to a wired system. It's all up to how you intend to use it, what type of environment you're in, the layout of your house and the area you intend to monitor, and of course, how much you can spend. For the money spent compared to others like this one, I'm happy with my choice.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]