4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING DOCUMENTARY BUT WHO IS IN CHARGE OF MADONNA'S RELEASES??, February 17, 2012
This review is from: Madonna: Truth Or Dare [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As a dedicated Madonna fan for the last 25+ years, once again I am left disappointed with another repackage/release.
Why did we have to wait so long for a blu-ray of Truth Or Dare for one, especially since this HD version has been playing on Palladia (TV Network) in the US for over two years.

Ok fine, so we have to wait forever...could it be because "the powers that be" are working on making this an epic collection, especially since this documentary is 22 years old and M's fragrance of the same name is coming out at around the same time of this blu-ray release. Nope! I was wrong. The ONLY bonus is a trailer.
The VHS edition from 20 years ago even contained more bonuses - 2 extra performance videos from the Blond Ambition Show (I believe the full Like a Prayer and the full Hanky Panky).

Honestly, in this day and age when media is so easily accessible and dvd/blu-ray/record sales are dropping, media companies should be working their tails off to get us dedicated fans to drop more money on a product that we have several versions of already. I had the VHS edition, the DVD edition, and have the Palladia HD version sitting on my DVR as we speak.
Miramax/Lionsgate - Give us some bonus features!! Nothing fancy, maybe all those outtakes from this documentary that are floating all over the internet, maybe some more performances. We all know Alek shot the entire Blond Ambition show in HD. Where is it? The commercials that Madonna shot for MTV contests. I mean there are so many opportunities here. Oh and this time, I cant blame Warner Brothers. Maybe its just Madonna/'s management.

Aside from my rant, if you just want to see Madonna at the PINNACLE of her career, her most brazen, her most strong-willed, her most beautiful and the beginning of the most controversial era in her career, this is the documentary to watch. Long before Lady Gaga (whom I absolutely adore), the queen of pop, was forcing us to expand our horizons, ask questions and taught us to show love and compassion and equal treatment for all and this is why she is a true legend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2012 7:32:36 PM PST
Rusko says:
As a die-hard Madonna fan, I have the same complains... I mean, SERIOUSLY? No bonuses at all? That's SO not fair... But I don't think Madonna or her management is to blame; as far as I know, this BD is being released by Miramax (they own the rights for this movie) and I'm guessing they just want to cash-in with the whole Madonna's comeback and her forthcoming "Truth or Dare" fragance /clothing line. It's a huge shame, though.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:50:10 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2012 6:56:51 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 7:05:42 PM PST
PourHomme80 says:
Hey Rusko (fan of the DJ, I imagine?) or (the DJ himself?!?!) ;-)

I'm not totally well versed on rights etc. but I just cant imagine that when a product is released, a company wouldn't ask for the artists input or a hope to collaborate and see if the artist might provide some extra's from their vault. Am I wrong here? You may be right but someone here is lazy and I am pissed. Don't even get me started on that ridiculous 1983-2009 Box Set that is also coming out. How long do I have to wait for remasters of Erotica/Bedtime Stories. I'm not getting any younger.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 7:14:37 PM PST
Rusko says:
Hey! (yeah, it's a mix of my nickname and also a Rusko fanatic :D)

You're right... They at least could ask Warner to provide with extra footage for the BD release; but as you may know... Warner are morons! And sooo lazy (one of the reasons why Madonna left them), their Madonna releases are so lazy and lack of everything! (while other artists have box sets, special editions, remastered versions, etc.). Plus, I think Miramax wouldn't want to spend extra cash to pay for licensing fees, as I said before, they just wanna cash-in with the whole M's comeback and her "Truth or Dare" line...

Oh yeah, that Box Set is just a plain scam! Same albums that we already have had for years? I really hoped that after Madonna left them, they would release special unreleased material, or at least Remastered albums with Bonus tracks (5.1 Surround Mix is too much to hope for, like Depeche Mode).

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 12:13:27 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Having the entire Blond Ambition Tour on DVD/Blu-ray would be a nice bonus!

Still, Madonna isn't known for meaty video releases. Every concert release has been rather bare-bones...but at least Confessions and Sticky & Sweet also came with a CD.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 11:20:41 PM PST
PourHomme80 says:
The Blond Ambition tour on Blu-Ray would be an amazing bonus and long overdue. I dont know about you guys but as I get older, I aint dying to sit around watching Madonna videos all day long so someone needs to get the show on the road here. 5-10 years from now I may just not care enough to buy the Blond Ambition tour on Blu-Ray.

As for her DVD's and just about any release from her, I wish she'd hire a real fan to put together her special editions or special features.
Case in point - those concert dvd's with the cd's.....most of us Madonna fans know those arent her live vocal from any show, those are obviously her re-recorded live studio vocals with some audience slapped on in the background. It's not even that exciting if its being marketed as live because I actually LOVED when Madonna would sing raw and sound husky and deep and just sound live....not its just tooo studio. I'd be more excited if the CD contained the Studio versions period, without audience noise. I know we can get these within the madonna community but a real release that properly mastered and mixed would be hot.

Here's another idea. I know this one is a 'real stretch' but im gonna take my chances. You know those videos that they work so hard to put together for these concerts....you know the ones that often times are better than her official music videos, that play in the background or interludes or openings of her shows, why dont they add those as bonus features. It seems like the easiest, most logical thing to do.

Now im getting pissed all over again. Always missing the mark! OH god, I just remembered that miserable Hard Candy special edition box that came with candy. Are you serious? Thats the extra? Ok, Im gonna go take a cold shower.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 2:53:24 AM PST
I feel your pain, so much content, but they won't let us have it.

They do not want our money, that's what it seems like.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 1:06:23 PM PST
PourHomme80 says:
Anthony...do "they" think Madonna fans are these zombies who just eat up anything that comes out with her name on it? This release and the upcoming box sets are pure insults and though I'm sure they want our money, they aren't getting a single dime from me. I'm fuming!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 12:54:00 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
The upcoming box set isn't really marketed for fans, but not really appealing to non-fans. It's a strange product that I'm not sure should exist. Regardless, Madonna had nothing to do with the decision to release that. It's just Warner Music wanting to make a buck from the Super Bowl performance and the MDNA album (which is fantastic).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:03:13 PM PDT
PourHomme80 says:
MDNA is FANTASTIC!! I have no less than 6 songs Im in LOVE with already.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (170 customer reviews)

$14.99 $8.79