1.0 out of 5 stars Fraud and Fried, June 19, 2010
This review is from: AT&T 2701HG-B 2Wire Wireless Gateway DSL Router Modem (Electronics)
These routers come with really poor power adapters that are 1) energy inefficient, and 2) overheat. Notice the reviews for failures; most of them come from power failures. Mine was the same. AT&T oversold it to me when I added a DSL line upon moving to my apartment. The router fried about 1 month after the warranty expiration. The power supply itself is 5.1V ... now, how often do you see 5.1V adaptors out there? As if they couldn't engineer the thing to interchange with a $2.00 5V adaptor instead of shilling for $10 to AT&T for a replacement.

More to the point, the wireless network portion is an 802.11g router - meaning it's an older slower technology. If you're going to buy a wireless router nowadays, you should get a faster 802.11n router, which should be back-compatable with 802.11g hardware. Why are they shipping 802.11g routers nowadays when 802.11n has been official since September, 2009, and widely available since summer, 2007?

Not to mention, for the money you spend on this router, you could purchase an identical one with 1) print-server capabilites (meaning you could attach a printer to the router allowing anyone on your wireless network to attach to the router) and/or 2) a port for Network Attached Storage (a backup hard drive or media disk you can avoid attaching and de-attaching to your computer). It also doesn't have the, ahem, ease of use that dodge most makers of routers. Compare Apple's AirPort to make the router function as a bridge (basically a way to extend a wireless router by using it to relay or boost the signal from another router). On an Apple router, you click a box saying "enable bridge mode," on this, you enter VPI 0, VCI 35, disable PCI search, change the connection type, and disable routing...and remember to press save.

The security settings are really funky. I don't envy DSL providers, as it is a tricky technology, but if you ever want to use a service to connect to your computer from the outside world...forget about it. No VPN, no Slingbox, no Back-to-my-mac, no run your own home server, no dynDNS, no zeroconfig...ok, it CAN be done...but the success reports on google are about as common as good reviews of this router/modem/gateway.

Also, if you have a mac, there are frequent reports of hardware compatibility with this router - really, only due to the way-out-there-bizzare default settings. see the discussion at ([...])

By the way, when this fried, I just wanted to get a DSL modem and use my own wireless router (base station). AT&T's next branded DSL modem down cost $70.00 (basically without the wireless network). Now, it had the same specs as another one in the store for $50 that didn't have the special AT&T logo. I got the non-logo one, plugged it in, and it worked perfect. When I did so I discovered my DSL connection was much, much faster. Also, I didn't have any problems with losing my connection every evening at about 11:45 for about 40 minutes without fail. I had this problem when connected to this 2wire router both wirelessly and wired.

I am not a conspiracy theorist by nature, but I did study networking and I can't help but think AT&T makes use of this branded router to shape and limit network traffic.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2010 9:51:17 AM PDT
L. Chow says:
what non-att modem did you end up buying? Thank you

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 6:02:43 PM PST
J. Prins says:
Nov 2010 - I just has to replace one of these routers shortly after the warranty expired. When the new one arrived from AT&T, I tried the new power adapter with the old router just to see if this was another case of adapter failure. Indeed it was! About the only positive news I can add was that (1) the new router has a (slightly) different power adapter (perhaps they improved it?) and (2) the modem price from the AT&T store has gone down to $60. I had trouble with wireless devices losing their connections to the old router; I hope that the more recent software and possibly will make this a better router (it sure couldn't get much worse, judging from the reviews here).

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 5:23:25 PM PDT
Pauldog says:
I would expect a 5.0v AC adapter to work. In general, a 1/10 volt difference out of 5 volts is almost always insignificant. The main thing is that the plug fits, the polarity is right, and the current rating (amps) is at least as much as the one you're replacing.

I replaced a bad 6v AC adapter in a 2Wire 1800HG modem with one I found in a surplus store. It's been working for over a year since then.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 3:39:24 PM PDT
GothCrone says:
>>I can't help but think AT&T makes use of this branded router to shape and limit network traffic.

BINGO!! I totally think that's precisely IT. They are AWFUL routers and AT&T has some way of detecting if a customer using anything else (like a dual band NetGear router) and shutting down the signal as soon as they detect it. In our case, it took a couple of months for AT&T to realize I had placed the 2WIRE into bridge mode and was actually using a Netgear Dual Band router (which worked WONDERFULLY) -- what makes me suspicious is that it didn't shut down our signal immediately -- it happened after about 2 months of use. . . so I believe AT&T has a way to search/find and shut down alternative routers and non-standard (to them) setups. Precisely for the reason you suspect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:54:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 6:55:27 PM PST
Ellen Ripley says:
When you say AT&T "shut down our signal" do you mean that you're no longer able to use your NetGear router? I'm trying to stream video with the 2wire and it's downgrading the signal so that my hi def Amazon instant videos are basically SD. Is there a workaround? What did you end up doing?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:22:33 PM PST
Derailed says:
I had the same experience as you with the 2wire. I went with the dual-band NetGear DSL Modem/Router Combo and had what sounds like the same experience as GothCrone. After a few months my internet was slowed down by AT&T. Sure my roommate and I watched a lot of Netflix, but neither of us ever used torrents or anything; just basic internet browsing, and several hours of Netflix a day between the two of us. So really no reason for them to slow our Internet so much I felt like I was using 56k dial-up again.

They slowed it down to a complete crawl, where the internet was nearly unusable if Netflix was also running. We only used my white Xbox 360 for Netflix, which was connected by an Ethernet connection, NOT EVEN WIRELESS, and yet our Netflix was always stuck at 1-bar, so the picture quality was even worse than SD. For ~2 months after we switched to that router our Netflix connection was always at full-bars and the highest possible HD quality. I even swapped out the router with another of the same model and we had full-bars/HD on our Netflix for 2-3 days before they throttled our connection again and dropped us back down to unwatchable 1-bar quality.

So they didn't "shut down" our signal, but they definitely throttled it to the point that watching Netflix wasn't even enjoyable. We never had issues with internet speeds on AT&T at that location until they "caught" us using a different modem/router combo. I figure the reason it only took them 2-3 days to slow it back down after swapping out the item is that we were flagged in their system or something for them to keep an eye on.

I honestly never put the two and two together until reading your posts tonight. Probably would have had we stayed at that address or with AT&T much longer.

Posted on May 1, 2014 6:00:37 PM PDT
I have gone through 4 of these in one year as well. Would not buy
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.5 out of 5 stars (154 customer reviews)

$120.00 $96.94