Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

4.0 out of 5 stars Great blender, but the lid needs work., March 20, 2010
This is a powerful blender, and is comparable to the VitaMix. I love the square design of the container, because it is easy to clean - way easier to clean than the VitaMix, and the blade at the bottom is not sharp, so I don't nick myself when cleaning the bottom of the blender. It is also much easier to scrape the blended goodness out of the bottom of the blender. But I don't like the lid design. The lid is flat and sits flush against the top of the blender. It gets splattered from the force of the blended ingredients. Makes a mess when you open it. This is a real problem when blending in between adding ingredients. Also, the plunger sometimes IS needed - even with a BlendTec, although Blendtec says it is not needed because of the variable speeds on its blender settings. There are times when I wish I had the plunger to just push things down while the blender is on. Instead, I have to take the lid off, which is dripping all over with blended goo, thus making a mess, so I can stir the ingredients because there is no plunger to push the food down into the blades like the VitaMix.

I have owned a Vitamix for 15 years, and it has proven to be a workhorse. The Blendtec seems to be just as strong, and I welcome it to my kitchen. It seems to do an even better job of grinding grains than the Vitamix. No "dry" container is needed. You just use the same container for both wet and dry ingredients. You don't really need a grain mill if you have the Blendtec, as it really does a very good job of blending grains and dry beans very quickly. It also makes nut butters almost instantly.

Overall, the Blendtec is extremely powerful, and meets my needs for what I use it for - I do daily green smoothies. I just wish it had a different lid, and a plunger.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2010 11:29:09 AM PDT
Soooo...if you had to choose vitamix or blendtec, which would it be....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2010 7:53:49 AM PDT
That was the same question I was going to ask...was waiting for the conclusion, and it never came!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2010 9:45:19 PM PDT
Artistmama says:
If I had to choose between the two, it would be the Vitamix. However, keep in mind the Vitamix is anywhere from $100 - $200 more expensive than the Blendtec.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2010 4:34:07 AM PDT
Froggy says:
Can you post a few of your recipes for your green smoothies? This is what I bought the machine for, and sadly I don't anything in the recipe book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 4:12:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2010 5:57:31 PM PST
ryree4444 says:
There are a couple of green smoothie recipes here: http://toyourhealthnutrition.blogspot.com/. She uses a Blendtec, this is what brought me here. Can anyone tell me if this model heats food. She makes a delicious looking tomato soup in about 90 seconds with her blendtec. Another green smoothie recipe here:http://www.goingveg.net/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 10:48:12 AM PST
from http://www.everythingkitchens.com/totalblender.html
Can I make hot soup in my blender?
Yes, if you are willing to run the blender for 3-4 minutes to allow the friction inside the jar to create heat. Not the most efficient use of energy. A better method is to add boiling water to the jar, blend, then serve or blend and then heat in the microwave in a suitable container.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 5:06:09 PM PDT
I purchased this after viewing a demonstration at Costco. Just f.y.i., they did suggest not using really hot water. Not sure why - just passing it along. The person demonstrating made a quick and delicious tortilla soup and it was quite warm, would not have required more heating; it seemed to run less than two minutes to do that. I'm looking forward to some green smoothies, too. He made a spinach ice cream the kids loved.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2011 6:32:50 AM PDT
If you put hot or boiling water into the blender, for some reason this creates a violent reaction when you start the blender. The contents explode. I learned this the hard way. So, please do not put hot or boiling water into the blender. If you want the contents hot, it is better to heat them a little on the stove after blending.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 10:33:30 AM PST
The "soups" button onthe base automatically heats the contents through friction by running exactly 90 seconds. It works great!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 10:34:41 AM PST
I would choose the Blendtec--because it FITS UNDER THE COUNTER!!! I use it more now because I can keep it out an accessible at all times--big plus in my book!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›