1.0 out of 5 stars What a dismal finish to a great series, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Version [Download] (Software Download)
Saeth left a review that covers the enormous problems with the ending to this game, and I agree almost completely with everything he or she said.

I further wanted to add that, while a lot of people are saying that Bioware should do a new ending, I don't think it will fix anything. Personally, I would never believe a new ending. Problem is, I don't believe the old ending, either. My suspension of disbelief for the entire Mass Effect universe is shattered, in tiny shards on the floor. All things my Shepard did, all the people he helped (or that my Renegade Femshep cheerfully screwed over)... none of those things mattered in the least, at the end.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

If you're a prior player of this series, whatever you did in Mass Effect 1 and 2, no matter what course you charted, you will get the exact same ending I did. Everyone you liked, everyone you hated, all the cultures, all the planets, everything? They're all destroyed, wiped out in exploding Mass Relays (and we know from the DLC in ME2 just how cataclysmic a collapsing relay is, from a simple rock hitting it, nevermind the most powerful weapon ever designed by the Galaxy's second most advanced race). Your sole choice is red, green, or blue fire to wipe them out with.

That's it. That's what all your choices amount to: nothing. No matter how skilled you were, no matter how inept you were, no matter how carefully you guided your decision-making, no matter how sloppy and uncaring you were, the ultimate choice is the same: kill everyone and everything you know, with one of three festive colors.

This must be the worst big-budget storytelling failure, like, *ever*. The midpoints of the game are awesome, but the end is so appallingly terrible that it retroactively poisoned any happy memories I had of everything else I'd seen and done, all through the entire series. Not even the Matrix was this bad, and I certainly didn't invest $160 and a hundred and fifty hours battling through the three Matrix movies.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012 7:49:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2012 7:49:31 AM PDT
ASC says:
Mass relays being destroyed doesn't kill anyone...You probably just turned it off after the mass relays were destroyed and assumed that everyone, everywhere died. But that's not what happened. In each ending, at least some very large portion of the galactic population lives. In fact, if you chose the "synthesis" ending, EVERYONE lives, they've just become organic/synthetic hybrids and systems are cut off from one another because there are no more relays. I agree the ending wasn't fantastic, but your review is 100% factually incorrect.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 9:24:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2012 9:27:22 AM PDT
Malor says:
We know from the Horizon DLC that a rock hitting a mass relay causes an explosion large enough to wipe out a whole system. Just a rock.

So now we're using the most powerful weapon ever devised, by the second most powerful galactic race ever to exist, sufficiently advanced that it almost figured out how to beat the Reapers. And we're firing that weapon through the relay network, causing overloads galaxy-wide. And you want me to believe this is *less* destructive than hitting one with a rock?

As I said, I've lost my trust in Bioware as storytellers, and even if they said this, I wouldn't buy it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›