5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, Read it (all of it), Implement it all NOW!!, April 27, 2013
This review is from: Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance (Hardcover)
I must first let you know that I am not one to review books. I wrote my first book almost 2 years ago and I understand the incredible task it is to undertake something that Kelly has done. I have read hundreds of books in my life. Going through Pre-Med and then on through Chiropractic School I was expected to read every book having to do with anatomy, physiology, neurology, and you name it. I have spent over 20 years treating patients for back, neck, shoulder, hip, elbow, wrist, knee, and ankle problems. I have attended over a hundred seminars dedicated to teaching me to better understand the dynamics of the human body and how to help my patients heal faster and completely. I have also dedicated a large percentage of my practice to treating athletes and the injuries they suffer. Also being certified in Physiotherapy I have always tried to stay as competent as I can to help them heal from their injuries and most importantly to help prevent them.

I came across Kelly's work over a year ago through his mobilityWOD.com site. I was so impressed with the dedication he showed by posting a daily video on helping others not only treat but prevent injuries. When I heard of his upcoming book I can say for the first time in a long time I was very excited for a new book to read. I pre-ordered it many months ago and continued to check for its release like a kid waiting for Christmas. I received my copy early this week and after spending about 4 days and unable to put it down, reading it at every opportunity, let me summarize my thoughts on what I can say without question is the absolute best volume of information I have ever seen compiled in one book that addresses the human body.

With nearly 400 pages and bound like your college textbooks (Large and Hardcover) it is built to be used and last. You know that book you have. The one that has been taken with you most everywhere. Has stains and abrasions all over it. Marked all up with highlighters, underlined and has sticky tabs or folded pages to help you quickly access those impressive parts-it will be like that one. If you are like me once you get your first copy, you will not only buy a second for the office but download the digital copy for your iPad/Iphone or electronic device. Believe me you will be referencing this book thousands of time in your life so you will want a copy with you whenever you have a few minutes to read.

Next you will be impressed with the outline-the way the book is laid out. From the stunning photo's that are easy to understand to the overall layout and how easy it is to access sections of the book. You will find it easy as you read to understand the way Kelly teaches you, not only how to treat injuries but much more importantly how to prevent them. With that being said I know many will take this book and head straight to the second half of the book where Kelly goes over each part of the body and teaches you how to treat injuries you are dealing with. The approach he uses is detailed and 100% on spot. You will see instant results with these treatments. You will be amazed that he has taken the complex body and in small easy steps teaches us how to fix/treat problems that are effecting the quality of our lives. But if you only spend time at the back of the book you will be missing in my mind the GENIUS of this work. You see the first half teaches you WHY you hurt, and WHY if you don't change you are going to have that prosthetic knee or shoulder someday. WHY you back hurts all the time. I don't think most people understand unless they suffer from back pain how debilitating it is. I see it everyday in my office. It ruins peoples lives-it not only effects the individual it effects entire families. So please don't cut yourself short and bypass the first 1/2 of this book. Study and learn the WHY's of your problems as Kelly teaches you a detailed easy to implement way to begin to change immediately.

If you are like me you won't put this thing down. I am going through it a second time as I write this. I have already recommended it to all my patients, and this will be a staple in my office and it is a must read for anyone that has a BODY-I guess that covers all of you reading this. In closing I have spent thousands of dollars on seminar after seminar. I can say unequivocally that this book has more information in it, which by the way is very simplistic for you to implement, than all of the education I have received on the dynamics of the human body. I have spent ten's of thousands of dollars on rehab equipment. With a $5.00 Lacrosse Ball, some exercise bands, and Kelly's book you can treat your body more effectively than any of that equipment. As the title of my review states, "Buy it, Read it (all of it), Implement it all NOW!! I can promise you whoever you are. Old or young, male of female, athlete or non athlete you will conclude as I have this is a instant classic and as Kelly says on the front cover: This is the " Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance." You have a billion dollar body-- With this book, now you have the owners manual on how to take care of it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2013 9:36:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2013 4:31:03 PM PST
Melissa says:
I like the fact that the book is written by a physical therapist - it seems like there's a many of them writing books these days such as The Lumbar Spine: Mechanical Diagnosis & Therapy, 2 Vol Set (801-2) or http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Johnson/e/B002LPYUBM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2013 7:25:11 PM PDT
Self Helper says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2013 12:25:22 PM PST
Cambero says:
Partially agreed. It is not so much the 5 star review, but that the review is too enthusiastic and has no thoughts on how the organization or material could be improved.

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 3:36:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2013 3:43:40 AM PST
Dear Dr. Lane, wish there were more Doctors with your enlightened perspective. I wholeheartedly agree with your review, in fact it is one of the most cogent, well written reviews I have ever read. (maybe you should write more books yourself), wish you were my Doctor. I too share your excitement, having received knowledge of this amazing book from a caring personal trainer at my local health club.

PS; You should think about starting your own web-site, you seem to have a generous nature and an inspirational depth of knowledge, which is unfortunately rare in your field of Practice, from my personal experience.

Charles Alan Vick; Journeyman Ironworker Local #444 Joliet, Illinois, retired.

PPS Thanks to Kelly and Professionals like you, I am on the Road to Recovery from years of injuries from my Trade Craft.(fused left ankle, broken ribs, Titanium Shoulder surgery,bad back, feet etc. and couple of falls, but swim 6 to 12 miles a week and thinking about taking up Olympic Class Weight lifting as a hobby! (might even go back to work part time, if the grandkids and my elderly mother, allow the time). Carpe Diem!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2014 2:14:08 PM PST
K. M. Smith says:
You know what else is suspicious? Using a psuedo-name "Self Helper" when posting in the internet.

Dr. Kevin Smith

Posted on May 11, 2014 6:46:53 AM PDT
Dr. Lane,
I am not sure where you are located; however, in many parts of the United States, it is unlawful to state that you provide physiotherapy without being a licensed physical therapist. As a medical professional, I am sure that you are aware of your location's legislation on this issue, but it is easy to miss some little details such as that. I just wanted to inform you so you can prevent any possible repercussions if you do in fact have such a rule in your area. I appreciate that, as a chiropractor, you are going beyond just manipulations for your patients to give them therapeutic exercise that will help them develop the motor control in their new range of motion. I also really appreciate your review. I was wondering whether there would be any new information that I do not already have in multiple textbooks, but your review has really made me consider buying it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2014 1:04:20 PM PDT
Thanks for the positive comments. The book is fabulous. Even better if you can attend a workshop with Kelly. As far as Physiotherapy. In the State of Arizona Chiropractors must pass the National Boards and then the State Boards and are then certified in Physiotherapy. I'm not sure how it works in other states. Not all Chiropractors get certified. Once again thanks for the positive comments you won't be disappointed with the book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›