5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the 2012 Single-Disc Blu-ray of this American movie classic!, July 14, 2012
This review is from: Singin in the Rain (60th Anniversary) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First off, I need to point out that Amazon does have this odd policy of grouping ALL reviews of ALL versions and editions of a film in one place. So when a film is restored or reissued the reviews are grouped with the others. There are over400 reviews for "Singing in the Rain" here and they stretch back as far as 1998 and as recent as July 2012. Reviews are automatically sorted by the "Most Helpful" first and - while I hope you will find my review helpful - I do encourage you to look at the date of any review you read and compare it with the "release date" of the edition you are looking to purchase. With that said, I'll move on to my review.

I'll go along nearly everyone who treasures "Singin in the Rain" in saying it is probably one of the most important films ever made and the top musical. It's also the most entertaining 103 minutes you'll se on the screen. Sure there is smart dialogue, but the film boasts a compendium of wonderful "hit songs" that were all succeses even before the were incorporated in the story by Comden & Green. Go ahead and read the other reviews, if you are not familier with the plot or background of the film. That hasn't changed in the 20+ years of reviews.

I last reviewed this film on DVD 10 years ago when Warner Home Video released the 50th anniversary package in 2002. That was before Blu-ray. Because the multi-disc versions of the new 60th Anniversary Edition contain all the "special features" of the 50th Anniversary one, I chose the single-disc Bluray to see the new HD transfer and the new 53-minute documentary. The single-disc BD contains only the HD transfer, the doc, a "juke-box" function and the Theatrical Trailer (along with the commentary track from the 50th).

The PRINT is glorious even on my non HD TV. And the film was not in Wide Screen so the dimensions of your screen don't matter. The documentary really didn't add much, but was fun to watch. Its purpose was to reach the younger generation who are fans of "Glee" and "High School Musical". Both choreographers and actors from those shows are interviewed and tell about the first time they saw the film. A few "oldsters" like Rob Marshall and Baz Luhrman add comments and there are some from film historian Rudy Behlmer (who appeared on the Warner musical reissues before the start of the press-on-demand Warner Archive series). Of course there are lots of clips from the film (some repeated again and again) as well as clips from other Kelly films as well as Fred Astaire films - comparing the two. A brief mention of importance of Arthur Freed is made but no discussion of the new digital transfer. It's an OK doc but, not sure it breaks any new ground.

Still, if you love this film (and I can watch it over and over) and have an HD TV, you'll probably want to pick this up. If you have the prior edition and an HD TV you'll want the single disc BD. If you don't own the prior one, you'll want the 2-disc version for all the extra bonus that were added 10 years ago.

But this is a DVD (in one form or another) that EVERYONE should own.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 17, 2012 9:25:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 17, 2012 9:30:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 9:27:01 AM PDT
Jrum C. says:
your last comment, "...in one form or another, that everyone should own": amen to that sentiment! A great review! I, for one, will still enjoy my bought/paid for 2002 version, though!

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 7:00:56 AM PDT
Alison says:
Hi,

Thanks for the thoughtful review! I just want to make sure I understand you correctly that the bonus extras in the 60th anniversary edition are the same ones from the 2002 DVD release, so there would be no advantage to purchasing the more expensive box set over the single-disc blu ray if I already have the 2002 version. Is that right? (unless I really want a red umbrella, I guess...)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 7:04:39 AM PDT
Steve Ramm says:
YES. The ONLY new bonus feature is the documentary which interviews folks from Glee etc and that is in the SINGLE disc BD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 7:25:09 AM PDT
Alison says:
Thank you very much! That will save a few $$. :-)

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 6:38:26 PM PDT
Judi Fryer says:
Thanks, Mr. Ramm; I loved your review and it put things in clearer perspective for me. I do not have the original 2-disc DVD, but I see it comes with dolby 5.1, so that is a good thing. I believe I will forgo the blue-ray in favor of the extras on the 2-disc, as you mentioned in your review. The out-of-print 2- disc DVD is a bit pricier, even 'used', which I have no problem with used. There are several available for bidding on e-bay; probably give that a look before I buy. I saw this film in the theater and even did a song & dance routine from it when I was in the 'Girl Scouts' (back in the day). It was my co-favorite musical (tied with 'There's No Business Like Show Business).

Thanks for all your responses and reviews.

Judi

Thanks for your help and review.

Judi

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 6:57:16 AM PDT
Thanks for the great review. I was nodding while reading your first paragraph about Amazon's review lumping. It is very annoying and I know many people reading the reviews won't notice that they might be reading older reviews. I really wish Amazon would break out the reviews, or at least keep the DVD and blu-ray reviews separate.

I gotta say that I'm annoyed by this new blu-ray edition of "Singin' in the Rain" though. I do not want the boxed set - too expensive and I'm not a collector of additional "stuff" (to put it nicely). I have purchased collector's sets before but just never got much out of it and ended up getting rid of them for slimmer disc versions anyway.

However, I do want all of the video features included in a set, and I'm dismayed to discover that the single disc blu-ray version of this movie does not contain the previous extra features that they threw into the collector's set (and from the previous release). I do have the 2-disc special edition that came out a few years ago, but I don't want to have to hold onto it if I get this blu-ray. And I don't want to get rid of it since the blu-ray single disc doesn't contain all the features.

I hope that WHV releases a 2-disc blu-ray set within a year that has all of the features from the collector's set. Until then, I don't have a problem keeping my money in my wallet until that edition comes along.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 11:24:00 AM PDT
Steve Ramm says:
I hear you andthank you for complimenting me on my review. In all honesty there is no real reason to own the BD unless you want that new "feature". If you want the newly restored version you can get the 2_DVD Standard version. The price on this so cheap that I doubt WHV will issue anything again until the 70th Anniversary (and we may be beyond physical BD by then. Who knows. Again, it is annoying a lot of folks based on other comments. And WHV is showing it this month in theaters with a price that is almost as muchas the DVD package.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 11:54:39 AM PDT
Judi Fryer says:
Mr. Ramm; thanks to your clarifying and detailed review; I purchased the 2-Disc DVD of 'Singin In The Rain' via an alternate source this a.m. and think I got it at a steal (less than $11 including shpg.)! So excited to be able to be watching it soon. It is going to be on Turner this month, but I will have all these extras forever. Thanks again for all your assistance and input!!!

Judi Fryer

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 12:41:27 PM PDT
Artist says:
I agree that this is a most helpful review. One question that I'm sure must be definitely answered but I seem to miss is if one in new to BluRay and hasn't any other copy of the film (and the extras are not that important) should they buy it now or wait till a newer BluRay version comes out that all the critics go gaga over about with its newer clarity and so on as they did with Universal's wonderful "Classic Monsters"?

I really got my money's worth with that one.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (1,224 customer reviews)
 (1,054)