2.0 out of 5 stars I'm sorry..what??!!, July 27, 2011
This review is from: Shadowflame (A Novel of the Shadow World) (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading "Queen of Shadows" and I pre-ordered this book on my Kindle with the anticipation that it was going to be a great sequel to the first. I was so so wrong. Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD.....

Here are my thoughts in bullet points:

- I don't like cheating in any manner in books. It doesn't entertain me. So when David cheated on Miranda, I was pretty pissed.
- I'm not sure how I feel about David's sexuality. To find out that he was bisexual and is still in love with Deven really threw me. How is this necessary to the plot??
- Why did Miranda take him back after he cheated on her and admitted that he'll always love another man? Seriously??
- Too many different plot lines. I think if the author wanted throw us a doozy, like David's bisexuality - she should've made Cora's, Kat's, and Deven's plotlines not take up too much storytime in the book.
- The flow of the story wasn't as seamless as the first. It was almost like the author was trying to put too much in the book to build up for the next one.
- David was a real strong hero in the first book. In this book, he was a simpering mess. Miranda seemed like part of the supporting cast. This seemed like David and Deven's book; and their unrequited love for each other.

In all, I think I pretty much skimmed through the rest of the book after David and Deven had sex. I would've been happier if the author completely skipped this aspect of David's personality from the story. Also, Miranda's acceptance of his infidelity was kind of upsetting. I really want her to break up with David. I think that would be the only reason I would even pick up her next book. I can say with all honesty that I am really disappointed in this one. I've completely lost interest in both characters.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2011 7:25:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2011 7:26:42 AM PDT
Storm says:
The whole cheating thing was really bad imo. The first book was a really nice romance to then have David fall in love with someone else and cheat on Miranda after only a few months not only completely ruins this book but even partially ruins the first books since I won't be able to reread it without thinking that he clearly doesn't love her that much since he will just fall in love with someone else in a few months.

I am glad that I saw it after flipping through the book in the store and didn't bother to buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 7:53:34 AM PDT
Wolfy says:
Holy moly, this is definitely out of left field. I would never have guessed that this is the direction the author would go. I'm pretty torn about reading this book now. Thanks for your review.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 8:29:42 AM PDT
A. Davis says:
I just finished Shadowflame and am so glad to see other people have the same opinion as me. I now officially hate David. He cheats on Miranda after only three months and she takes him back after three weeks??? And then she offers up an "open" relationship? I thought the first book was a wonderfully different and sweet book, and this second book just ruined the whole series for me. At this point I think I'd much rather read a book about Faith than David and Miranda. Although that little teaser at the end about Faith being in love with David certainly wasn't welcome.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:35:04 AM PDT
Miss Adeo says:
Oh my goodness, your review literally hit on everything i was thinking when i read this bloody book. wtf?? I almost wish I'd never read the bloody thing. Cos after Queen of Shadows I was so so impressed. David was one of my favorite hero's with all his techo-geekiness. But now? Illusion- SHATTERED. It's not even about him being bi. I can handle that. But this whole 'he'll always love Deven' thing. He didn't even hesitate for a second before sleeping with him. Whats the point of the whole signet bond then? And Miranda? don't even get me started on what a push-over she is suddenly. urgh TOTAL LET DOWN.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 1:11:56 PM PDT
I agree with everything everyone has written. This book was a HUGE disappointment for me. We hate it when a politician or other public figure cheats, why would we forgive or continue to admire one of the heros of a romantic fiction book for the same behavior? Miranda staying with him just makes her look pathetic and set her character back about a hundred years! Then offering an open relationship to Deven, at the very least shouldn't she have offered that to David first... please!! The whole character/relationship story line was ridiculous.

I hope the next book focuses on the newly introduced incidental characters instead of Miranda and David because there will be no redeeming either of them in my eyes. If I could I would try and forget I ever read this book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 1:42:22 PM PDT
V. Marcone says:
I completely agree with what you wrote. Its like the author completely redid the whole Shadow World. She did not stay in her defined lines from the first book, just decided to write new ones and then not explain it. I thought the Deven/David story line was completely and utterly a disaster. Not only did she not write true to her characters, but she made them into something that is just a turn off in so many ways.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 2:47:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 31, 2011 10:37:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 2:49:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 6, 2011 10:34:12 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 5:05:28 PM PDT
non-harriet says:
Thanks for your review. I feel the same way. I read these type of books for the romance (yeah, I know it's corny, blah, blah, blah), but the whole bi thing could have been left out. She should have smashed his jewel when she had the chance. I have total disrespect for the "hero's" character and I'm getting there with Miranda. I thought maybe I wasn't being open minded about gay relationships, but hey - when I read these type of books, I'm going for the fantasy, the romance, etc". The author has the right to write whatever she wants, I have the right not to buy her books. Too bad - I thought after the first book, this would be a great series - I don't see how I'm going to want to read about these characters anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 6:59:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2011 7:00:42 PM PDT
Wolfy says:
non-harriet I completely agree with what you said. Authors are welcome to write whatever they choose, but we don't have to read it. I read to escape from my monotonous and non-romantic life. Why would I want to pay to read something I wouldn't want to fantasize in a million years. I don't just read PNR, but it sounds like these characters are completely unredeemable at this point.

Even if someone gave me this book to read, I probably wouldn't bother.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (107 customer reviews)

$8.99 $6.61