4.0 out of 5 stars Male sneaks peek at chick book, December 22, 2002
This review is from: Moon Mother, Moon Daughter: Myths and Rituals That Celebrate a Girl's Coming-of-Age (Paperback)
OK, I cheated. I'm a male and I read a chick book.
I read a chick book by, for, and about chicks. I know: I'm not supposed to. The cover is pretty damn clear-lots of red and purple (none of it associated with sunsets, gun barrels, or violent bloodshed), loosey goosey fonts and title, women authors, and a foreword by someone that wrote the woman's comfort book!
This all screams new age chick stuff that by gender, inclination, and cultural boundaries I avoid.
My excuse? I have a preteen daughter and another coming up in her shadow with all the subtlety of a heat-seeking missile. Everyone around our house is busy. Life is on fire, and right smack in the middle of it all, these girls of mine are growing up.
So I picked up MoonMoon (as I started calling it) and tried to squelch my private image of women's moon groups as gatherings where they drop their drawers in a semi-circle and moon the moon so to speak.
Even overlooking my stumbling male entrance, the authors were not prepared for me. They write, as I mentioned above, for and about chicks in the form of mothers and daughters (as if men never had daughters). But without belaboring my own passage into and through the book, I'll just say that I started getting some of my (Dad) needs met as soon as I hit the first chapter.
The blending of content the authors used was effective. Instead of dragging me through long diatribes on new age coming-of-age theology (if you will), they interlaced their philosophies with cookbook recipes for events and practices, individual and family experiences, and demystifying retellings of pivotal female myths.
It remains, cover-to-cover, a chick book, but I still gleaned what I wanted for my daughters and myself. I exited at the Moon end with some excellent ideas about what I can do with my daughters, what I can steer them towards and away from as they pass through these years, and a good list of things to tell the little wife to do, as well (yeah, right!).
I assume for chicks it's a great read.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]