3.0 out of 5 stars OK bathroom read, October 19, 2010
This review is from: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents Earth (The Book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race (Hardcover)
First off I'm a huge fan of The Daily Show. I even went to see a taping last year when I was visiting NYC. Anyway they've really been pushing this book hard on the show so I decided to pick up a copy. I didn't really know what to expect from it, but I did expect a little more content then there really was. This "book" is mostly just a collection of pictures with funny little captions/blurbs next to them. It kept me mildly entertained in the bathroom a few minutes at a time, but is not something I would have sat down and read straight through.

What really baffles me though is how they could possibly have turned this into an audio book. Like I said it's mostly pictures, how they translated that to an audio book is beyond me.

Anyway it's OK for a fan of the show looking for something light to read in the bathroom, but you're unlikely to be entertained enough by it read it in more then 10-15 minute stints.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2010 4:56:11 PM PDT
Mary A. says:
I adore Jon Stewart. Hated America. I saw Jon on Larry King last night. Stewart says he puts one really offensive thing in every book he write so Walmart won't carry it. I hope it's true. I won't be buying Earth just because America was so disappointing to me but Stewart is a national treasure. I wish I enjoyed his books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 7:29:48 AM PDT
Josh says:
Next time you're in a bookstore, pick up Earth (The Book) and flip through it. The jokes are short and pretty much self-contained, so just a few moments flipping through the pages will tell you if you'll like it or not. It's pretty much designed to be a coffee table/bathroom book, meant to be read in short increments.

I haven't read America (The Book) yet, so I don't know how it compares.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 5:19:35 PM PST
DEVOUREADT says:
I can't afford to make $40.00 mistakes....so I got the book from the library. I loved the book and think many of my friends and family would love it...so it's on my list of cool things to buy for a gift.

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 11:22:01 PM PST
I've "read" the book as an audiobook and, heck, is it funny (and even thoughful)! It is, of course, read by Stewart himself and probably funnier when heard rather than read.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 10:19:48 AM PST
HumBug says:
I agree - I'm a huge fan of the show, and the book makes me smile but no belly laughs. I think the Daily Show is genius, though, and has provided me many hours of entertainment that I didn't directly pay for. So, I think of buying the book as my contribution.

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 3:48:42 PM PST
WLut says:
I agree. I'm about a third of the way through it. Good in the bathroom, funny in spurts (pun intended), but it's the same formulaic humor over and over and over to the point where it becomes somewhat of a grind to keep going. Also the photo caption/comments and text within the photo is incredibly small so I have to keep taking my glasses on and off.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›